HAWKI

EMIS Tray Icon and EMIS NOT starting this AM.

HI :-)

On start-up this morning the EMIS tray icon was missing. It was in the click-on area that used to be the tray icon customiozation area.

On a restart the EMIS icon remained only in the former customization area BUT EMIS was NOT on and the icon was totally non-responsive.

After a clean reinstall EMIS starts but the icon remains in the Customization Area.

I did update three drivers last night (nvidia GPU, Realtek sound card, an Intel Management driver) but immediately after those updates EMIS was well behaved.

Dunno if an EMIS Update this AM did anything to cause this.

Will rollback (system restore) to prior to my driver updates and see if that helps.

You'all will be the first to know if this works.

On 12/31/2016 at 8:39 AM, HAWKI said:

After a clean reinstall EMIS starts but the icon remains in the Customization Area.

By "Customization Area", I assume you mean the popup in the screenshot below that shows all of the Notification Area icons that Windows is hiding?

Notification_Area_Popup.png
Download Image

If so, then that's normal. Windows automatically hides icons that it considers to be "inactive" (such as icons that haven't changed or displayed a notification in a certain amount of time).

If you click on Customize... you can select which icons to show at what times, or select to always show all icons.

Hi GT500 :-)

It's been a recurrent issue, even after a rollback of my driver updates,  that never occurred previously.

But I learned something new today -- how to customize the icons in the taskbar in WIN10 AU.

Unlike WIN 7 the "Customize" name does not appear in WIN 10AU.

Unlike Win 10 (pre-AU) one is no longer able to open a dialogue box that lists all the available icons and select which to show by putting  a checkmark next to the desired icon.

In WIN 10 AU one does this by simply "dragging" the icon from the not labeled "customize" pop-up to the tray :-) doh.

17 hours ago, HAWKI said:

In WIN 10 AU one does this by simply "dragging" the icon from the not labeled "customize" pop-up to the tray

That's actually rather convenient, although admittedly it would be more so if Windows would let you know that you could do it.

I tried doing it the old-fashioned way, where you right-click on the taskbar and go through the settings, and Windows 10 seems to have similar options to Windows 7 for customizing the Notification Area icons through that method. Here's a short demonstration (it's an animated GIF, and is a bit larger than I wanted it to be, so it's in a spoiler to hide it until you click on the button):

Customize_Win_10_Notification_Area_Icons