plat1098

CPU at 100% During a Scan

Hello:  I apologize if this has already been answered somewhere or if this should be common knowledge already.   Here is Emsi Internet Security version 12.0 with stable update feed on a Windows 10 64 bit, version 14393.693. machine.  A scan (malware or custom) starts off fine then builds until it's pegged at 100% CPU use and it stays there until completion.  This doesn't occur in a quick scan, which is 4 sec. but for malware and specifically custom, which is over 3 minutes, it's at 100% for about 1 minute.  Windows is set to see all the processors. 

Is this natural?

Thanks,

plat

Screenshot (18).png
Download Image

How many CPUs/cores does your machine have?    

And, in the definitiion of what the scan should do, have you asked it to examine the contents of zips/archives?

Hello:  The machine's CPU has 4 cores/8 threads (processors).  There haven't been any system freezes so far and you can use browser during scan, albeit timidly.  The custom scan is set to examine zipped and archived folders.  

Thanks.

On the GUI pane where you start a scan there's a 'Performance Options' button; if you click that you can choose how many cores EIS will use, how many threads it will use, and also the priority that such threads will be given by Windows.   Maybe you need to reduce the core count or priority a little - it depends on how much else you were trying to do on the machine at the same time as the scan was running.

Personally I never scan the contents of zips/archives, mainly because on my machine many of those are password protected so EIS will not be able to open them anyway.  I'm not sure, but maybe opening/extracting contents of large archives might be cpu-intensive.  I have a feeling that some of the optional(?) bits of Windows I've installed in the past were downloaded from Microsoft in enormous zips/archives and - for me anyway - there's no point in scanning those at all.  Their contents were scanned when I used them, ,and will be scanned again if I ever re-install from them, but I have no need to scan them repeatedly.    

Thank you for reply.

4 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

On the GUI pane where you start a scan there's a 'Performance Options' button; if you click that you can choose how many cores EIS will use, how many threads it will use, and also the priority that such threads will be given by Windows.

This is exactly the feature I need but this doesn't seem to be available on the version you get when you install EIS from the electronic purchase receipt.  What must you do or install to get this feature?

Insofar as certain custom scan features adding to CPU load, this is certainly understandable in your scenario but I keep them.  Myself, I have questions about the option for the quick scan--is it superior in any way to the malware scan--besides being "quick"?  It only adds around 20 seconds (for me) to do a malware scan, and I stopped being enchanted by zippy scan speeds long ago.  Nevertheless, just because there's a scan option doesn't mean you have to use it--just wondering..

I considered the other software on the machine as factors in the CPU issue.  There is only a little stand-alone anti-executable with zero impact on anything, and some browser hardening (uMatrix).  That's it, this is a fairly well-secured machine, but as far as scans go, everyone has a paranoid moment now and then, right?

Edited by plat1098
grammatical error

On 1/27/2017 at 3:01 PM, plat1098 said:

This is exactly the feature I need but this doesn't seem to be available on the version you get when you install EIS from the electronic purchase receipt.  What must you do or install to get this feature?

The "Performance settings" for scans has been there for many years. There's nothing special you need to do to enable or add it to EIS. Simply click on Scan (do not select a type of scan yet), and then it will be in the lower-right corner. It is in the same place in EIS and in EAM:

eam_performance_settings.png

On 1/26/2017 at 9:21 PM, plat1098 said:

A scan (malware or custom) starts off fine then builds until it's pegged at 100% CPU use and it stays there until completion.  This doesn't occur in a quick scan, which is 4 sec. but for malware and specifically custom, which is over 3 minutes, it's at 100% for about 1 minute.

Our scanner is designed to read more than one file at a time off of your hard drive, so that it can scan files in each available processor core at the same time. This improves performance of scans, however it will drive the CPU usage up to 100% while scanning. As JeremyNicoll mentioned, the impact of this can be controlled by using the "Performance settings" to specifying how many threads are used while scanning, the priority of those threads (a lower priority will cause Windows to give CPU processing power to threads from other applications that have higher priority when needed), and even restricting what processors the scan threads are allowed to execute on.

In general, only changing the number of threads and their priority is needed to control CPU usage. The option for which CPU cores (simply called "processors" in EIS) that the scan threads are allowed to use does give extra advanced control for those who wish to get the most performance out of their CPU.

• Upvote 1