I'm an PC Support guy with about 50 clients using Kabuto with Emsisoft as the managed antivirus. I deployed the product in May 2016. I previously used and sold Eset. Ever since switching over, to Emsisoft and supporting my users, I notice that Emsisoft doesn't want to update (or will not update). I try the usual troubleshooting steps and most times a reboot fixes the update issue. In the last 30-60 days though, I get lots of emails like this one:

" Problem with updates to Emsisoft again It's telling me I'm partially protected again - last update 4 days ago.   I'm getting tired of this.  I had my computer on a lot on Fri. and Sat. - not on Sun.  When I turned it on Mon. I was partially protected.  I left it on a lot on Mon. and yesterday but it's apparently not updating.  Janet"

What's the deal with Emsisoft? Do we have to reboot the PC for every Emsisoft update? Am I the only one who has mentioned this? I had maybe 3-4 problems with Eset in the "years" it was deployed. If a client has a remaining Eset subscription I'm not switching them to Emsisoft anymore. Is it something I'm doing wrong?

Signed,

Frustrated in Ann Arbor

System specs:

Computer
name
HOLBROOK-PC
model
550P5C/550P7C
manufacturer
SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD.
Operating System
name
Microsoft Windows 10 Home
last boot time
01/27/2017 - 03:38:35
Motherboard
manufacturer
SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD.
name
NP550P5C-A01UB
CPU
name
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz
manufacturer
GenuineIntel
RAM
capacity
2 GB
manufacturer
Samsung
capacity
4 GB
manufacturer
Samsung
HDD
capacity
698.64 GB
manufacturer
Hitachi HTS547575A9E384
Video Card
name
Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000

May I ask what version of Emsisoft Anti-Malware was on the computer in question? Were any network diagnostics run on the computer in question (ping and/or traceroute to update.emsisoft.com, cdn.emsisoft.com, and dl.emsisoft.com)? Was our diagnostic batch file run on the computer in question (if so the log can be sent to me in a private message)?

There are a number of reasons why updates can fail. The connection to one of the update servers couldn't be made, the connection was interrupted, temp files couldn't be saved while checking for or downloading updates, etc. We recently changed where Emsisoft Anti-Malware temporarily saves downloaded files, and the easiest way to check everything is to get the log from our diagnostic batch file. The batch file will also attempt to fix one update related issue on its own, if the issue is detected, however note that this issue applies to the old update temp folder and won't be relevant in newer versions of Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

In addition to the above, I would believe there was an update-related issue caused by one of our DDoS protection mechanisms earlier today. The issue has since been resolved, and updates should be working normally now. If they are not, then please go ahead and run the diagnostic batch file on the computer where updates are failing, and send me the log in a private message.

Kabuto Managed AV
Engine Version: 4.0.0.834
Product Version: 12.2.0.7060
Real-time Protection

Surf Protection

License: Managed

Can you tell me the path and filename of what you're looking for on this PC? Is there a way I can view/download this file from the Kabuto dashboard? No, I didn't run the "Emsisoft Diagnostic Batch File". I was not aware of it until now. Who pays for my time to test/troubleshoot/QA Emsisoft? Am I supposed to call all my clients up and spend 30-40 minutes in a remote session to try all of these fixes and diags?

When can I  just sell Emsisoft to my clients without issues. Is there a date/roadmap? I guess for now I'll just answer the complaint emails and phone calls with - "Reboot."

Thanks,

Still Frustrated in Ann Arbor

I have not been able to meet with my original client. This is the Emsisoft Diag Log for one of my office PCs.

It's not rebooted very often and when I sat down it reports that it hasn't updated for 5 days.

Is there anything I can do other than reboot?

20 hours ago, gcpcs said:

Who pays for my time to test/troubleshoot/QA Emsisoft? Am I supposed to call all my clients up and spend 30-40 minutes in a remote session to try all of these fixes and diags?

You can send them the link to the article and ask them to run it and send you the log.

We also offer free support for all users of our software. They can contact us and we can assist them via e-mail or these support forums. We can also do remote sessions if they need us to.

20 hours ago, gcpcs said:

When can I  just sell Emsisoft to my clients without issues. Is there a date/roadmap? I guess for now I'll just answer the complaint emails and phone calls with - "Reboot."

An unfortunate truth about software development is that since human beings write software, and since no one is perfect, there are always bugs. I've never worked for a software company that didn't have issues with bugs, and I've also never seen a software company that didn't have issues with bugs.

We do our best to fix bugs, especially when they effect a large number of our users, however it is not possible for software to ever been 100% bug-free. As long as bugs get reported to us (along with some debug information), our developers can work on getting them fixed to minimize their impact on users.

13 hours ago, gcpcs said:

I have not been able to meet with my original client. This is the Emsisoft Diag Log for one of my office PCs.

Unfortunately I can't download or view the attachment. I'm going to delete it from your post for now. Could you send the log to me in a Private Message?

I'm on the phone with the client. Windows Defender is blocking the Emsisoft Diagnostic file when she tries to run it...

Finally! Walked her through running the Diag file and sent the log to you via private message. I hoped that running the Diag file and rebooting would have fix the unable update issue. It did not.

Did you receive the other Diag log file I sent earlier in a PM?

12 hours ago, gcpcs said:

Windows Defender is blocking the Emsisoft Diagnostic file when she tries to run it...

That happens on Windows 10 when Windows is not up to date. Updates to the Smart Screen Filter should fix that issue.

I received both files. They both show version 12.2 of Emsisoft Anti-Malware is installed, which isn't the latest version, but they don't show any problems with connecting to our update servers. They do both show that the DNS server has an IPv6 address, which is still fairly rare (most people have routers/modems that still use IPv4 for internal network addresses), however I don't expect that this is what is causing the problem.

If you open Emsisoft Anti-Malware, then click on Settings in the menu at the top, then click on Privacy in the menu that appears right below that, can you try turning off the option Use SSL encryption for all server communication and then try manually checking for updates to see if that works? You can try manually updating by going back to the Overview screen, moving the mouse into the Updates box in the lower-left, and click on Update now.

This issue is resolved. Thanks for your help. The following is an email from my (former) client.

Sat, Feb 4, 2017 at 7:56 PM

Gerard, I know you don't have regular hours on Saturdays but perhaps you are aware of my activity in regard to Emsisoft today.  I got really tired of not being able to do much on my computer because of not being fully protected so decided to switch to AVG.  I was going to leave Emsisoft on too but got a message from AVG that it might not work to have two on.  When I tried to delete Emsisoft it updated and I'm now fully protected.  I was thinking about switching to AVG instead of renewing Emsisoft in 88 days. I have appreciated all your help but really think I would like to go ahead with AVG at this time.   My daughter has always used the free version of AVG and has had no problem with it.  Thanks.  Janet

That's rather interesting. Unless she reinstalled EAM after she uninstalled it, then what she did should have had no effect on the update issue. It'd be nice to know exactly what happened, however it's more than likely too late to find out.

Regardless, if she does decide to use another anti-virus software, we'd recommend she pick one that's more effective than AVG's software. Maybe one from BitDefender, Kaspersky, ESET, etc.