Jerry Locke

Emsisoft Enterprise Console is driving me crazy

Just getting started with a test deployment to see if we want to buy licenses for this product. Sales gave me some temporary license keys.

I setup the console, latest version, on a Server 2016 Standard (RS1 14393) machine. (settings shows 2017.1.0.2824)

Go through all the initial settings, add the licenses, update the client package (12.2.0.7060), everything looks ok. Created a new computer group called "Testing"

Deployed some Windows 10 Pro (RS1 14393) computers. Moved them from "New computers" to "Testing"

Later, I open the console and the groups are messed up. "Organization" is now "Testing" at the top of the tree and unchangeable. My computers are in "New group 1"

This is the second time this has happened, the first time I gave up, uninstalled everything from all clients and servers, and started over.

New now, in User Policies, where there was a "New Users" group there is now "Default for admins" and "Default for non-admins"

What in the world is going on here?

Edited by Jerry Locke
more information

After doing a bit of reading, I decided to switch over to the beta channel. The version of the Enterprise Console remains the same, with all the same issues described above. My clients are updating to 2017.1.0.7138 and I am seeing clients randomly becoming "Not protected!" "Not managed" until next reboot or killing the Commservice.exe and then starting the service again.

Hi Jerry,

First of all I suggest you, for future questions/issues, to ask for support through our support channel [email protected], especially when you are in a decision making and testphase. Our support staff will be able to help you much more efficiently.

At 18UTC we have released an new stable release of EAM and EEC.
http://changeblog.emsisoft.com

This is why you noticed some changes in the EEC policies overview and this is, probably, why EAM clients show a status 'Not protected' during the update phase, which caused EAM to restart.

If the  status doesn't switch to the correct one, could please enable debug logs in EEC for 15 minutes then zip and send me the following file in c:\ProgramData\Emsisoft Enterprise Console\Db\a2eLogs.db3 in a PM, our devs will have a look.

fyi: Beta builds are usually released around the 21st of every month followed by the stable release at every end of the month.

In v2017.1 of both EEC and EAM we have simplified the user permissions system,as you can read in the changeblog. Users can have the following permissions:
1. No access
2. Read-only access
3. Basic access (default for users)
4. Full access (default for admins)

"Default for admins" and "Default for non-admins" groups have replaced the 'New computers' group.'

Regarding the "Testing" group issue: could you please share screenshot in a PM?

Thanks for your feedback.

My workstations have downloaded and installed 2017.1.1.7166 today. Now the ones that were showing not connected are showing Protected in green as normal.

The changeblog does not seem to go into what these incremental releases are, maybe because this was a beta release? Was the fix for my issue part of it? Where's the changelog for beta?

Hi Jerry,

We just have released a new beta: http://changeblog.emsisoft.com/2017/02/06/beta-updates-2017-02-06/ where the connection issue with EEC has been fixed.

Are you aware that beta versions may and will have bugs and may render workstations unworkable ? Therefore we strongly advise to never switch (production) workstations to the beta update feed, unless its required to test a fix.

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, I'm definitely aware of the implications of using beta software.

Since I'm currently in test mode anyway, I switched the other day because what I had at the time wasn't working, so a gamble that it might be fixed was worthwhile. I will definitely switch back to stable before any widespread deployment.