Anguel

Emergency Kit PRO Licensing Questions

Hi!

In our small business (about 10 PCs) we are using Kaspersky Endpoint Security as primary scanner. Now we are considering to add a second opinion scanner for e-mail attachments.

Emsisoft Command Line Scanner looks interesting and as far as I understand, if we also want to have a GUI option we would need the Emergency Kit PRO. What I don't understand is how licensing is done there:

1. Will I be able to use Kit PRO on 10 PCs and how much will this cost? There is this strange 250 cleanups license...

2. Does Kit PRO include the PRO command line scanner, as far as I understand only PRO can be loaded as service.

3. Can Kit PRO perform automatic signature updates in the background? If so, also for the command line scanner?

4. The command line scanner seems to require a manual update via /u switch. What is the approx. frequency of signature updates? What will happen if I run the command line updates via task and a command line scan is started while the task is updating signatures?

Thanks in advance!

Anguel

22 hours ago, Anguel said:

1. Will I be able to use Kit PRO on 10 PCs and how much will this cost? There is this strange 250 cleanups license...

Emsisoft Emergency Kit (EEK) is licensed in such a way that would be friendly to PC repair shops that need to clean up random customer computers, so the licensing is sold in terms of how many computers are "cleaned" per year. There won't be any trouble using this sort of licensing in an environment where EEK runs on the same 10 computers year-round, however I do recommend contacting [email protected] (or [email protected]) for more information about how the licensing works and what exactly you will need to purchase for your 10 workstations.

2. Does Kit PRO include the PRO command line scanner, as far as I understand only PRO can be loaded as service.

EEK does come with a version of our Commandline Scanner (A2CMD), however please note that the version that comes bundled with EEK works differently than the stand-alone version, and to my knowledge it does not support running as a service. The only real drawback to this is that A2CMD will start slower when not running as a service, since it will need to load its signatures in to RAM each time it executes, whereas when it runs as a service its signatures will always be loaded into RAM and scans can start faster.

3. Can Kit PRO perform automatic signature updates in the background? If so, also for the command line scanner?

No, however it is possible to create a Scheduled Task for the Windows Task Scheduler that automatically executes a2cmd.exe periodically with the /u parameter to have it check for updates. Since a2cmd.exe is bundled with EEK, it updates the same signatures that EEK uses, and thus it is possible to automatically keep EEK up to date this way.

What is the approx. frequency of signature updates?

It depends on the time of day. It can vary between several times and hour to once every couple of hours. Note that this is a rough estimate, and you can see a list of recently published database updates at this link if you would like to get a feel for how many we publish and how often we publish them (all times should be GMT +1).

What will happen if I run the command line updates via task and a command line scan is started while the task is updating signatures?

I haven't actually tested that, however more than one instance of a2cmd.exe shouldn't be able to run at the same time, so a second instance should terminate automatically or error out. That being said, database updates are incremental, and as long as the processor can handle it and it hasn't been more than roughly 12 hours since the last update, then they generally go rather quickly.

vor 11 Stunden schrieb GT500:

EEK does come with a version of our Commandline Scanner (A2CMD), however please note that the version that comes bundled with EEK works differently than the stand-alone version, and to my knowledge it does not support running as a service. The only real drawback to this is that A2CMD will start slower when not running as a service, since it will need to load its signatures in to RAM each time it executes, whereas when it runs as a service its signatures will always be loaded into RAM and scans can start faster.

First, thank you very much for the thorough answer. I did not realize that EEK and EEK PRO are actually the same file. So it looks like I will go with command line scanner PRO because I want to scan mail attachments as soon as a user opens them and the scans have to be fast. So I will use the service mode.

It depends on the time of day. It can vary between several times and hour to once every couple of hours. Note that this is a rough estimate, and you can see a list of recently published database updates at this link if you would like to get a feel for how many we publish and how often we publish them (all times should be GMT +1).

Many thanks, that looks good.

I haven't actually tested that, however more than one instance of a2cmd.exe shouldn't be able to run at the same time, so a second instance should terminate automatically or error out. That being said, database updates are incremental, and as long as the processor can handle it and it hasn't been more than roughly 12 hours since the last update, then they generally go rather quickly.

I tested it, if you run an update (e.g. via task) and a scan starts at the same time, the scan will not execute. This means that I have to run update first and scan hereafter in a batch file, instead of the task. This is slower, but at least I make sure that I have the latest updates.

Thank you once again, I will do some more testing but will probably go with the command line scanner.

Anguel