weezy

Firewall

I have been using the old OA firewall for several years. Emsi gave me a couple of years credit as my kids suddenly divorced and moved just after I renewed.

I like the Firewall, has it changed?

Since it is now part of a suite, I will have to make up my mind between ESET and EMSI. I do not like ESET's firewall.

The comparisons about the protection seem to shade towards EMSI. Now the UI would be the major player. If it is too hard to get to to control the scanning, AV, and anti-malware, that would be a killer. I've used ESET for so long as it was the only AV at the time that didn't want crappy IE. (they used Winsock) I still don't use IE. Emsi doesn't require it, does it?

Any really good screen shots, etc?

Are you still using Windows XP? We no longer support Windows XP, and don't make any products that are compatible with it.

On 2/5/2017 at 5:14 PM, weezy said:

No, I have 7 Pro.

OK, that's good. I was just a bit concerned when I saw your forum profile information said "Windows XP". ;)

On 2/2/2017 at 9:55 AM, weezy said:

I like the Firewall, has it changed?

When we built Emsisoft Internet Security (EIS) we didn't copy anything from Online Armor. Everything is new, and very different. The controls are much more simple, and most of the advanced features were not added to EIS. This was done because we intended on marketing EIS to the average user rather than to advanced users like Online Armor was marketed to.

... I still don't use IE. Emsi doesn't require it, does it?

That's a bit of a tricky question. Does our software require IE itself? No. However, our software does use the WinINet API for downloading files over HTTP/HTTPS, which happens to be the same API that IE uses to load web pages. Since WinINet is relied upon so heavily by IE, it tends to get updated along with IE, so it is important that the latest version of IE be installed, and that IE be kept up to date in order to ensure that any bugs or security issues in the WinINet API are addressed.

The WinINet API is actually used by a lot of software, since it is the best way to do what it does on Windows without needing to bundle third-party libraries with an application. Most application developers would rather use the API's that already exist as part of the operating system than need to find alternatives, and then need to keep those alternative API's up to date as they update their own application.

Any really good screen shots, etc?

We have some screenshots near the bottom of the product page for EIS. Here's a couple of firewall-related screenshots from the product page:

alert_firewall.png

firewall.png