marko

Software Version Update Notification - useability

Hello

I just wanted to make an observation about the 'change blog' link on the software update screen that appears whenever a new version is released.

On the notification window shown in the attached screenshot, there's a link to the 'change blog' that we can click on to see what's changed.  This link correctly takes you to the Emsisoft blog, but for minor releases (like yesterday's update to v2017.1.1.7166), there isn't any information on the blog page relating to the changes, and I have to navigate to the Changelog on the support forums to see what's changed.

Would it be better to change this link to point to the Changelog on the support forum instead ? - link here https://support.emsisoft.com/forum/23-changelogs/

Marko

Capture.JPG
Download Image

http://changeblog.emsisoft.com/2017/02/06/beta-updates-2017-02-06/

We generally release the new updates before the blog post with the changes goes live, so if you get the update right away then it is possible for you to click on the link to the changeblog and the post with the changelog not be there yet.

ah ok - thanks for the explanation - that makes sense, although having used EIS for several years, I don't ever recall clicking on the link and finding that the blog has been updated at that time, so it seems a little redundant in its present form

The link in the notification is different for different types of updates, For stable updates it sends you to blog.emsisoft.com and for beta updates it sends you to changeblog.emsisoft.com (beta updates are only detailed on the changeblog, which is why the link is different). The vast majority of stable updates will be detailed on the main blog, however if you want to be certain you never miss information about a product update then feel free to subscribe to our changeblog's RSS feed:

http://changeblog.emsisoft.com/feed/

Well this still doesn't make any sense to me.

As an end user, if Im offered a link in the notification to see what's changed, then I would expect it to show me what has changed, otherwise what is the point of it being there ?

The way it works at the moment is that I 'may' see what has changed, but I 'may not', as only the 'vast majority' of changes are shown on the main blog.

Surely it would be better for the user to see all changes, including betas, rather than a seemingly random selection ?

On 2/8/2017 at 4:09 AM, marko said:

Surely it would be better for the user to see all changes, including betas, rather than a seemingly random selection ?

The selection isn't random. All stable updates where the version number is incremented should be posted on the main blog.

We also use the main blog for stable updates since that is what the vast majority of users will see, and since those users won't have the Beta update feed enabled they aren't going to want to worry about changelogs for beta updates. We also want users to see the information that is available on the blog since it often includes important security information, sales on renewals and new licenses, and other marketing related material.