Stonecaster

Not Updating

So, for the second time, I got a notice from Windows 10 64bit's alert system that my antivirus (Emsisoft Internet Security 2017.1.1.7166) was out of date. Clicked on the Emsisoft icon in the tray and sure enough it hasnt updated for 6 days.  Automatic updates are turned on for every hour every day, I have made no changes to the settings from default. Has any one got any ideas as to what is going on? And more importantly, why didnt Emsisoft alert me that it wasnt updating instead of Windows doing it 6 days after the fact?

Any suggestions appreciated.

UPDATE: Just an update, since I manually did the update, Emsisoft did update and has been updating on the hour since.......

Still concerned about it stopping for no reason tho.   Also, just another bit of info from reading thru other post, I do NOT turn this computer off, so it is on (never goes to sleep either) and connected to the internet always.

15 hours ago, Stonecaster said:

And more importantly, why didnt Emsisoft alert me that it wasnt updating instead of Windows doing it 6 days after the fact?

Windows is supposed to notify you when Emsisoft Anti-Malware hasn't been updated in 24 hours. We allow Windows to do this for us since the framework for doing it is already there, and since Windows will also alert when Emsisoft Anti-Malware isn't running.

As for why it didn't work, it could be a glitch in the Windows Action Center, or perhaps something suppressed the notification or caused it to close prematurely.

15 hours ago, Stonecaster said:

Automatic updates are turned on for every hour every day, I have made no changes to the settings from default. Has any one got any ideas as to what is going on?

There could be any number of causes for the issue. Since it isn't happening now, it will more than likely not be possible to figure out what caused it unless it starts happening again.

If it does start happening again, then we can try getting a diagnostic log. You can find the instructions and download at this link.

When it's done, it will open a log in Notepad (as explained in the instructions). Please save this log somewhere easy to find, such as on your Desktop or in your Documents folder, and then send it to me in a Private Message so that I can take a look at it.

Important: Don't post the log publicly. It contains a copy of your a2settings.ini file, which contains encrypted license information. If someone were to figure out how to break that encryption, then someone else could use your license key.