Sign in to follow this  
Simone

Help: windows incompatibiliy prevents to safely run Emsisoft Internet Security

I tried to install 'Emsisoft Internet Security' (fresh download from Emsisoft website) and it does not work.

From Emsisoft I get the installation message:
It is strongly recommended that you install the following hotfix prior to continuing the installation:
KB2958399.

For more information please visit our KnowledgeBase:
http://redir.emsisoft.com/?p=EIS&v=2017.1.1.7166&l=en-us&t=setupkb2958399

Following the link strangely Microsoft only sends this hotfix per email

I select from the 3 available options the correct one Product Windows 7/Windows Server2008 R2 SP1 Language All (Global) Platform x64 Fix name Fix499765

I offer my privacy to Microsoft because they only send the hotfix per email and get the download link:
hotfixv4.microsoft.com/Windows%207/Windows%20Server2008%20R2%20SP1/sp2/Fix499765/7600/free/474557_intl_x64_zip.exe

It is a self-extracting zip file with the installation file caled "474557_intl_x64_zip.exe"
When run the file extracted is called "Windows6.1-KB2958399-x64.msu"

I find it strange that the fix number is not the KB number and the file to run is called Windows6.1, but I checked it several times and it should be right.

When installing 'KB2958399' I get the Windows hotfix message:

the "Windows Update Standalone Installer" window says:
Windows update is not applicable to your computer.

So you end up with 'Emsisoft wanting to first install a KB2958399 hotfix' and this KB2958399 hotfix returns me it is 'not applicable'.
Meaning you cannot safely install
Emsisoft Internet Security in windows 7 anymore?
What is this? Any help or advice will be appreciated.

OS: fresh install of Windows 7 Professional SP1 with all necessary AND all suggested updates installed (which as you know takes many rounds).
No other antivirus or firewall present yet.
16GB Ram
new SSD
Intel i5-2520M

I just found in several threads that " You do need the hotfix". Necessary to prevent Blue Screen Of Death or BSOD and other trouble. See the example below from a 'Emsisoft Employee'.

So the 'hotfix' is necessary but now the hotfix does not install anymore.That makes the problem all the more urgent but nowhere a solution can be found. That would mean Emsisoft is no longer usable on Windows 7 installs. Therefore I am very curious to anyone his opinion / advice / help.

11 hours ago, Simone said:

I find it strange that the fix number is not the KB number and the file to run is called Windows6.1, but I checked it several times and it should be right.

The version number is correct.

• Windows 2000 = Windows NT 5.0
  • Windows XP = Windows NT 5.1
  • Windows Vista = Windows NT 6.0
  • Windows 7 = Windows NT 6.1

This is because they were built from the old Windows NT operating system, which was at version 4 before Windows 2000. Microsoft lists all of the version numbers here.

So you end up with 'Emsisoft wanting to first install a KB2958399 hotfix' and this KB2958399 hotfix returns me it is 'not applicable'.
Meaning you cannot safely install
Emsisoft Internet Security in windows 7 anymore?

If the hotfix is not applicable, then you may not need it. Chances are you have newer versions of the files that the hotfix modifies, and thus the hotfix no longer applies to your system. In a case like that, you can simply ignore the warning that EIS gives you when installing.

I just found in several threads that " You do need the hotfix". Necessary to prevent Blue Screen Of Death or BSOD and other trouble. See the example below from a 'Emsisoft Employee'.

The hotfix specifically fixed an issue that can cause a BSoD when using third-party firewalls, although technically Microsoft considered it a fix for the same issue caused by their SQL server software (if I remember right), and thus the hotfix was never distributed through Windows Update as a recommended update. Since you installed all optional updates, you should have an equivalent of this hotfix installed already (more than likely a newer update that modified the same files was installed, and included the fix from the required hotfix).

In cases like this, I have not heard reports of BSoD issues after installing EIS.