Magpie501

Will NOT update...EVER!!!

Ever since I bought Emsisoft for three of my computers, at least 4 months ago,  I've been unable to UPDATE.  When I try, I get the message below!  It's now telling me it's CRITICAL for me to update, which I've NO doubt.  My schedule is soooooooo very very BUSY that I've been "ignoring" this issue but I SOOOO KNOW that I really HAVE to address this  IMMEDIATELY!!!
Here's the message I receive:
-Cannot connect to server, please check your internet connection and proxy settings.
There's NOTHING wrong with my internet connection and I'm not sure WHAT my actual proxy settings are.
Can ANYBODY walk me through solving this problem?????????  So VERY MUCH appreciated in advance...
Quite honestly, I am falling asleep right now so I shall check FIRST thing in the morning to see if SOME WONDERFUL SOUL, has offered me help with this issue...Again, THANK you EVER soooooooooo MUCH in advance...
Windows 7-Home
64 Bit
  • Upvote 1

Lets try getting a diagnostic log. You can find the instructions and download at this link.

When it's done, it will open a log in Notepad (as explained in the instructions). Please save this log somewhere easy to find, such as on your Desktop or in your Documents folder, and then send it to me in a Private Message so that I can take a look at it.

Important: Don't post the log publicly. It contains a copy of your a2settings.ini file, which contains encrypted license information. If someone were to figure out how to break that encryption, then someone else could use your license key.

• Upvote 1

From your log, it looks like you have Emsisoft Anti-Malware version 11.0.0.6054 installed. That version was released January 5th, 2016, so it may be one of the older versions that had update related bugs, or simply could be too old to properly connect to our update servers.

Assuming you had wanted Emsisoft Anti-Malware instead of Emsisoft Internet Security, I recommend doing the following:

1. Uninstall Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
  2. Restart your computer twice.
  3. Download and reinstall Emsisoft Anti-Malware from this link.

If you had wanted Emsisoft Internet Security instead, then I recommend doing the following:

1. Uninstall Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
  2. Restart your computer twice.
  3. Download and install Emsisoft Internet Security from this link.

I imagine you're already familiar with how to uninstall software, but here's some instructions that should work on any version of Windows from Windows Vista to Windows 10:

1. Hold down the Windows key on your keyboard (the one with the Windows logo on it, usually between the Ctrl and Alt keys) and tap 'R' to open the Run dialog.
  2. Enter "appwiz.cpl" into the field, and click 'OK'.
  3. Find the Emsisoft product you have installed in the list.
  4. Double-click on it to start the uninstall, or click on it to select it and click on the button to uninstall it.

Please note that we recommend restarting twice after the uninstall is finished to ensure that everything had a chance to be removed.

GT500,

'Seems like I'm having the same problem as MagPie501!!

I installed the newest version of EIS (V2017.x) yesterday.  As prompted by the install instructions, I immediately attempted to "check for updates" and got a pop-up saying "cannot connect to the update server" and, to "check my internet connection".  The internet link is good - I used it to download the installer!!  I got the same result this morning. (I also run Malwarebytes Pro
(v3.0.6) -- it updates signatures every 30min -- no problem with my internet connection there!)

This problem with EIS has occurred several times over the last few months with the previous version of EIS that I just replaced.  Each time, after a few days, the problem just "went away" and, the program worked fine until five days ago.  I had hoped switching to the newest version would "fix" this problem. 

Two screen-saves are attached to illustrate what I'm dealing with.  I just don't know where to go from here!!  

I read through the posts on this topic and, went ahead and ran the Emsisoft Diagnostic Batch File you suggested to MagPie501.  Per your recomendation, I'll send the Log to you via Private Message.

--
Emsisoft Internet Security Full 2017.3.1.7353 stable [en-us]

EIS Partial Protection1-2.png
Download Image

EIS Partial Protection 2-2.png
Download Image

Hey Koosharem:

What I've been HOPING for is someone to walk me through whatever REMEDY will correct my problem.  BETTER yet would be for someone from Emsisoft to assist me with "remote assistance".   I've yet to install AND use any of the THREE programs I've paid for.  I'm extremely electronically CHALLENGED and am at my WITS END :blink:regarding this problem.

If by chance YOU find out HOW to fix yours...PLEASE touch base with me.

Thanks MUCHLY...Magpie

12 hours ago, Magpie501 said:

BETTER yet would be for someone from Emsisoft to assist me with "remote assistance". 

Sure, we can do that. Send me a private message (you can move your mouse over my screen name to see the option to send me a message), and let me know what day and time sounds best for you (Tuesday is more than likely the earliest I can schedule it for right now), and let me know if your Time Zone is Pacific Daylight Time (or Pacific Standard Time + DST). Once we have a time scheduled for you, I'll send you further instructions.

Magpie501,

On 4/7/2017 at 4:01 PM, Magpie501 said:

Hey Koosharem:

If by chance YOU find out HOW to fix yours...PLEASE touch base with me.

Thanks MUCHLY...Magpie

You (or DT500) may have already solved your updating problem by this time but, I thought I'd "share" any way!  'Turns out it was a case of me "crying wolf" -- I didn't do enough checking of other installed software before coming to the forum!  I stumbled onto the "fix" just today.  I'm running the program WinPatrol Privacy (recently changed the name to WinPatrol Firewall).  I failed to notice it was blocking the EIS program "a2service.exe" -- had it listed right there in the "Blocked Programs" Tab!  All I did was change it to "Allow Program"!  Now, I'm not really sure I would have connected "a2Service" with blocking a server, but in "hind-sight" it would have been worth a try. :(

Best of luck to you, too!!  :)