Sign in to follow this  
Cranfield

Emisoft update query.

For some time my PC has started with a temporary profile.

If I close the PC and then start it again, it usually opens correctly.

I have tried all the usual fixes, apart from a complete wipe and restart, but it still comes back after a few days.

Apparently, one of the reasons for the temporary profile can be the antivirus updating as Windows is loading the profile.

So although Emisoft opens on startup, I have set the updates from 10.00 and every hour thereafter until 23.00. That hasn't changed the situation.

My question is, does Emisoft Internet Security update automatically when it first opens at PC startup, or will it wait until 10.00 ?

8 hours ago, Cranfield said:

For some time my PC has started with a temporary profile.

Have you tried the latest beta version? Some people have reported that it resolves this issue. Here's how to try it if you want to:

1. Open Emsisoft Internet Security.
  2. Click on Settings in the menu at the top.
  3. Click on Updates in the menu at the top.
  4. On the left, under Update Settings, click on the box to the right of Update feed and select Beta from the list.
  5. Click on the Update now button on the right side.

8 hours ago, Cranfield said:

My question is, does Emisoft Internet Security update automatically when it first opens at PC startup, or will it wait until 10.00 ?

This depends on whether or not a scheduled update was missed. If not, then it will wait until the scheduled time to begin updating. If a scheduled update was missed, then it will run that update on startup, however it will not run it right away. It will wait until after you have logged in, and after system resource usage drops to 20% (or lower), or it will wait a maximum of 5 minutes after Emsisoft Internet Security has started during login.

Thank you, I will try the Beta version and see if it makes any difference.

I should also have mentioned that when I have changed the update times and then go back and check, they have reverted to where they were before, which mean Emisoft updating on startup.

Would it be possible for you to post a screenshot of the update settings that aren't saving correctly?

I doubt a screenshot would help.

I went to Emisoft Settings, Updates and changed the time from 0000 to 0900 and 0000 to 2100.

When I went back and looked it was back to 0000 and 0000.

I downloaded the Beta version yesterday and changed the update times to between 0900 and 2100. This morning it started OK and the update times are unchanged.

My fingers are crossed.

On 3/1/2017 at 6:06 AM, Cranfield said:

I downloaded the Beta version yesterday and changed the update times to between 0900 and 2100. This morning it started OK and the update times are unchanged.

We released the latest beta version as a stable update on the 28th.

After installing the beta version (later a formal update) I had six days of perfect operation, but this morning the dreaded "preparing your desktop" appeared, followed by the "temporary profile" message.

It took four restarts to get a clean , normal, startup.

My Emisoft Update Setting was clear at "every hour between 0900 and 1900", so the mystery continues.

When you get the temp proflie login and you're on that desktop, if you do ctrl-atl-delete and select log off you should then be presented with a window that offers you the option to log into your own profile and then you will be presented with your own desktop without the need to reboot.

This is what I do when I get the temp profile issue which I also 'suffer' from sometimes.

Thanks for the suggestion, much appreciated, definitely worth a try. I would also like to cure the problem, rather than work round it.

As the temporary profile is a relatively recent thing and because the beta/update did seem to resolve the matter, I am thinking it is Emisoft related. I am going to try uninstalling Emisoft and reinstalling it.

If that doesn't work, I will uninstall it for a test period, say a week and see if that makes a difference, I am running out of better ideas.

Thats interesting, its strange it only seems to affect some of us.

I am not very techie and it is something that worries me, there is too much of my daily life on my PC to have access to my files denied for too long.

I have already spent £60 on a PC Doctor who went through the usual checks and adjustments to correct the temporary profile problems (apart from the complete wipe and start again) and it seemed to work for a while then started again.

It was my efforts that found it could be linked to my Internet Security system, hence my earlier post here.

I hope its resolved very soon.

20 hours ago, Cranfield said:

I have already spent £60 on a PC Doctor who went through the usual checks and adjustments to correct the temporary profile problems (apart from the complete wipe and start again) and it seemed to work for a while then started again.

Send me a private message with your license key, and I'll give you some extra license time to compensate for that.

On 3/7/2017 at 4:10 AM, stapp said:

When you get the temp proflie login and you're on that desktop, if you do ctrl-atl-delete and select log off you should then be presented with a window that offers you the option to log into your own profile and then you will be presented with your own desktop without the need to reboot.

I recently experienced this issue on my own desktop, and in a test environment. Logging off and then logging on using my own profile worked.

Thank you, that is very nice gesture.

I am surprised you made it public though, you might be amazed how many other people suddenly experience this problem.:lol:

I had the "temporary profile" screen this morning and Stapp's Ctrl-Alt-Del suggestion worked just fine, saves a complete reboot, thanks for that.

23 hours ago, Cranfield said:

I am surprised you made it public though, you might be amazed how many other people suddenly experience this problem.:lol:

Quite true, however if they do it more than once then I'm going to get suspicious. Besides, we already have a way to get free license extensions, so anyone who wants to can get free time added to their license key just by sharing some links with friends on Facebook and Twitter (assuming people click the links and install our software). ;)

The PC has been starting normally for some time, but at the weekend on start up I received an Emisoft Popup saying there had been a (paraphrasing) technical error and Emisoft had not loaded correctly and I had to restart my PC.

I noted that Emisoft was not live on the toolbar and restarted my PC.

Since then 3 out of 4 restarts have been on the temporary profile.

Is it just Emisoft causing this issue and are they close to fixing it ?

I know our developers have been working on fixing it. I'll inquire about whether or not we need any more debug information.