Sign in to follow this  
malik4477

Resetting Firewall Settings

On 7/9/2015 at 8:11 PM, GT500 said:

Here's how to reset the Global Firewall Rules to factory defaults:

• Open Emsisoft Internet Security.
  • Click on Settings in the menu at the top.
  • Click on the Factory defaults button near the upper-right.
  • Make sure that only the option labeled Global firewall rules is selected.
  • Click the OK button to apply the changes.

Hello,

Just got confused as I also have received a similar pop-up when I updated earlier. Just wanna ask if I do the instructions above will I loose my existing application rules? I did not do the above yet and just saved my config settings. (Re: Anti-Malware Settings , see image below)

81643942017-03-03_034259.png

5886997export_settings.png

I see that in the "export settings" the application and global firewall rules are together. What happens when I do the "instructions above" and then import it (saved config settings) again after?

Thanks!

11 hours ago, malik4477 said:

... if I do the instructions above will I loose my existing application rules?

It looks like the Application Rules and Global Firewall Rules have been merged into the same configuration file, so yes, it will reset both.

11 hours ago, malik4477 said:

What happens when I do the "instructions above" and then import it (saved config settings) again after?

You'll restore the global firewall rules to the same state they were in before you made your backup.

Does that mean in order for me to use the "new global rules" I have to again make all my application rules from scratch?!

Isn't there a way for me to just edit the global rules manually so I when I save the new config it'll be with my existing application rules? Recreating all those specific rules per application is time consuming. 

On 3/5/2017 at 11:56 AM, malik4477 said:

Does that mean in order for me to use the "new global rules" I have to again make all my application rules from scratch?!

I'll get confirmation before saying for certain, however it does look like that is the case.

On 3/5/2017 at 11:56 AM, malik4477 said:

Isn't there a way for me to just edit the global rules manually so I when I save the new config it'll be with my existing application rules?

You can edit the config file manually, however I have not tested whether or not it will work correctly when you import it.

I just took the following screenshot of the dialog to reset settings to factory default:

EIS_Reset_Global_Firewall_Rules_Default.

As you can see, the option to reset Global Firewall Rules is separate, so you can reset them without effecting the Application Rules. If you have to restore a backup of your Application Rules for any reason, then you can simply restore the Global Firewall Rules to default again after importing the INI file.

OK will try that. So please check what I am about to do here:

1. Reset ONLY Global firewall rules

2. Check Application Rules if they are still the same.

3. Backup settings again (so the new global firewall rules will be "exported" when I save my settings) as seen in the "Export Settings" dialogue box(all is checked). 

Outside of that, how can I edit the global firewall rues?

17 hours ago, malik4477 said:

Outside of that, how can I edit the global firewall rues?

Do you just want to customize the rules as they are in EIS to allow/block certain ports or IP addresses? To do that you can open EIS, click on Protection, go to Firewall in the menu at the top to access the Global Firewall Rules, and then double-click on any rule you would like to edit.

On 3/9/2017 at 2:52 PM, GT500 said:

Do you just want to customize the rules as they are in EIS to allow/block certain ports or IP addresses? To do that you can open EIS, click on Protection, go to Firewall in the menu at the top to access the Global Firewall Rules, and then double-click on any rule you would like to edit.

Yes :) Thanks will check that out :)

Hello,

Sorry for late reply. Just to conclude this topic as solved :) Had luck applying the new global rules and backing it up. See image below. 

4073544Solved.png

Thanks again :)