Sign in to follow this  
TakeDown

Emsisoft Commandline Scanner - info

Hi,

Does the "Emsisoft Commandline Scanner" use in default setting with all cpu cores or just one of them ?

And can i change the performance settings inside the file settings.ini?

A2CMD doesn't parse any of the performance settings from the config file, so there is currently no way to change process priority, CPU affinity, or number of threads without doing it externally (such as executing A2CMD via the START command). For instance, something like this will work if you want A2CMD to execute with low priority and only run on CPU core 2 (affinity is supposed to be specified as a hexadecimal number, so it gets complicated if you want to specify more than one CPU core):

START "A2CMD" /LOW /AFFINITY 2 "a2cmd.exe" /malware

You can use the /B parameter to keep START from opening a new window, however this breaks things a bit, preventing Ctrl+C from be able to stop A2CMD, and the console window will seem messed up once the scan finishes (you won't be able to type in the original console session even though it is still running).

Thank you for the detailed answer.

So if i understand you correctly , the a2cmd engine in default will process a scan with all CPU cores in the system.

and when i want to parse or limit the process i need to use the command you mentioned above , am i right ?

10 hours ago, TakeDown said:

the a2cmd engine in default will process a scan with all CPU cores in the system.

This is correct. We do this to make scans as fast as possible. Essentially, we want files to be scanned as fast as they can be read from the drive, and thus we use every available CPU core to process the scanning of files.

10 hours ago, TakeDown said:

when i want to parse or limit the process i need to use the command you mentioned above

Yes, that's the easiest way of doing it. I would believe there are third-party tools that can also do it, and of course the Task Manager (or other process management tools) can do it after the scan is already running (which I don't recommend). There are a lot of posts on the Stack Exchange websites related to this, however most of the suggestions are simply to use the "start" command due to it being an easy and well-known way of doing it.

• Upvote 1