HoggyDog

How Many Anti Malware Suites Do I Need?

Just a general question: McAfee Live [something] was preinstalled on my new HP Spectre X2 tablet hybrid with Win10. Since I have no idea what it did, and because it incessantly spammed me with nag screens in the middle of whatever I was trying to do, I uninstalled it, and as it was leaving it popped up a warning that my computer was now unprotected against malware and <insert name of calamity here> and that I should re-install McAfee Live [something] immediately.

I thought my Emsisoft Internet Security was all the security I needed. Was I mistaken? Should I reinstall McAfee-whatever and run both AV suites side by side? Does McAfee Live do something that EIS dioesn't do? Do I need a dedicated firewall?

#1 get rid of McAfee.

#2 Emsisoft Internet Security is what I have and happy with it.

#3 I use Malwarebytes Premium on two desktops and  Zemana Antimalware in addition to EIS on this laptop.

#3 1/2 Malwarebytes is NOT an antivirus program or replacement for one no matter what you may hear or read.

#4 When it comes to security additional programs are a good idea because no one program is perfect.

#5 Never have two antivirus programs active at the same time. You can have EIS active and another for on demand scanning.

18 hours ago, HoggyDog said:

I thought my Emsisoft Internet Security was all the security I needed. Was I mistaken?

No, you were not mistaken. McAfee is just telling you that to get you to reinstall their product.

fee-whatever and run both AV suites side by side?

We don't normally recommend that. While it might be possible, we don't really test it.

Does McAfee Live do something that EIS dioesn't do?

I highly doubt it does anything important that EIS doesn't do. There may be some extra gimmick features to make it seem like a good deal, but when it comes to real protection EIS is almost always better.

Do I need a dedicated firewall?

No, EIS has its own firewall, and another firewall will not be compatible with it.

Arthur is telling it straight.  I do a lot of my own malware testing (in VM) and I always have to turn off EIS or I would never get anything further.   EIS is great.