BlueLake

Windows 10 Not Shutting Down Properly

31 posts in this topic

Need some help. With the latest Emsisoft update, my windows 10 64bit pc will no longer will shut down properly.

I have tried: uninstalling any potentially competing software. Didn't help. However, uninstalling Emsisoft eliminates the problem ... UNTIL ... I reinstall Emsisoft - then, it starts happening all over again. I even tried restoring my PC (from backup) to a much earlier configuration ... no good.  As soon as Emsisoft is reinstalled, the problem happens all over again. Ive attached some files ... please help me get this resolved. Re-start works perfectly, but if I shut down, the screen goes blank but the PC will not shut off until I force it with the power button. And yes, I've tried right clicking the windows icon and doing a more "complete shutdown" ... same end result.

See attached files.

P.S. Although VoodooShield, HitmanPro and Zemana show here ... the same result occurs with these programs completely uninstalled and pc rebooted, and with Chrome closed. Because those changes made no impact, I restored my latest set-up and then ran First64 to generate these files so you'll see them mentioned in these files, but don't let that throw you off. Emsisoft has been working PERFECTLY until the latest update. Now, PC won't shut down even when those programs (and more) are uninstalled. The ONLY thing that seems to help is removing EmsiSoft, which of course I don't want to do.

Addition.txt

FRST.txt

sys1.JPG
Download Image

syspart2.JPG
Download Image

Just for info for Emsi support staff... do you have Fast Startup enabled or disabled?

Enabled. When disabled, shutdown works correctly. I would like a fix on this.Problem only started happening with recent Emsisoft update. No other 

No other new software had been installed. And Emsisoft had been working perfectly for months.

Removing other security software did not resolve issue.

Lets try getting a diagnostic log. You can find the instructions and download at this link.

When it's done, it will open a log in Notepad (as explained in the instructions). Please save this log somewhere easy to find, such as on your Desktop or in your Documents folder, and then send it to me in a Private Message so that I can take a look at it.

Important: Don't post the log publicly. It contains a copy of your a2settings.ini file, which contains encrypted license information. If someone were to figure out how to break that encryption, then someone else could use your license key.

Lets get some debug logs from Emsisoft Internet Security. Here's what to do:

1. Open Emsisoft Internet Security from the icon on your desktop.
  2. In the 4 little gray boxes at the bottom, move your mouse into the one that says Support, and click anywhere in that gray box.
  3. At the bottom, turn on the option that says Enable advanced debug logging.
  4. Either click on Overview in the menu at the top, or close the Emsisoft Internet Security window.
  5. Reproduce the issue you are having with turning off your computer.
  6. Once you have reproduced the issue, open Emsisoft Internet Security again, and click on the gray box for Support again.
  7. Click on the button that says Send an email.
  8. Select the logs in the left that show today's dates.
  9. Fill in the e-mail contact form with your name, your e-mail address, and a description of what the logs are for (if possible please leave a link to the topic on the forums that the logs are related to in your message).
  10. If you have any screenshots or another file that you need to send with the logs, then you can click the Attach file button at the bottom (only one file can be attached at a time).
  11. Click on Send now at the bottom once you are ready to send the logs.

Important: Please be sure to turn debug logging back off after sending us the logs. There are some negative effects to having debug logging turned on, such as reduced performance and wasting hard drive space, and it is not recommended to leave debug logging turned on for a long period of time unless it is necessary to collect debug logs.

Please note that if you have a lot of debugs logs, then you should not send all of them. There is a size limit, and currently there is no error if the message is rejected due to the size being too large. Normally we only need one copy of the 4 or 5 different logs that have been saved after the time you reproduced the issue (the list shows what time each log was saved). Those logs have the following names:

• Security Center
  • Protection Service
  • Real-Time Protection
  • Firewall
  • Logs database (contains the logs you can view in Emsisoft Internet Security by clicking on Logs at the top of the window).

Log files have been sent. Please advise once you've looked them over.

If you did not receive them, please post here and let me know.

I have received the logs, and I am sending them to our QA team so that a bug report can be created. Our developers will take a look at them as soon as possible.

I am having the same issue: Windows shuts down and monitor fades to black; keyboard backlighting turns off, BUT my PC remains on. Need to power down with the On/Off button on my PC.

I had originally attributed this to an update of HitmanPro Alert as this behavior, which never has ocurred before, started around the same time as that HMPA update and I do not always shut off my PC, so pinpointing the date is not precise. The thought that this was being caused by EMIS never crossed my mind. But this issue did start around the same time as the other two posted reports here.

For me it's no big deal, so I have not experimented to see if uninstalling HMPA resolves the issue, but I have seen no reports of this issue on Wilders, that has a very active HMPA Thread.

When I find the time I will uninstall HMPA and if that is not the cause will try to send the appropriate logs per the above instructions.

NB: Like the OP I also have HMPA and Zemana installed. Perhaps it's this particular combo along with EMIS that is the cause.

WIN 1067 64X

I don't think so. I uninstalled BOTH HMPA and Zemana and then reinstalled Emsisoft and ... NO LUCK. Continues to not shut down properly.

To: Emisisoft Support - been a week since QA team got the logs. Any updates?

Hello,

We are experiencing the same problems with our customers last week. All systems are Windows 10 and have Emsisoft Anti-Malware. Turning off fast Boot will help some times. 

If Emsisoft support need more logs I can find them. I really think this problem is not related to Windows 10 because I receive a lot of messages of our customers with Emsisoft that have the "doesn't shutdown completely" problem. But we do not see/hear problems of customers that don't use Emsisoft.

Thanks in advance!

6 hours ago, BlueLake said:

To: Emisisoft Support - been a week since QA team got the logs. Any updates?

I haven't been told if anyone has found the cause of the issue.

For now, does shutting down by right-clicking on the Start button, going to Shut down or sign out, and selecting Shutdown work OK?

13 hours ago, GT500 said:

I haven't been told if anyone has found the cause of the issue.

For now, does shutting down by right-clicking on the Start button, going to Shut down or sign out, and selecting Shutdown work OK?

Nope :-(

I did have the following experience this AM:

I uninstalled Cybereason Ransomfree, which I have had on PC for months (don't ask me why :-). My PC shut down properly. But that was a one-off event. On a second shut down my PC failed to shut down. I reininstalled and uninstalled Ransomfree again but this did not solve the issue on any later shutdown. Ransomfree is no longer on my PC and the issue remains unresolved.

My issue is worse today than yesterday. Previously after a WIN 10 Shutdown my keyboard backlighting tuned off but my PC did not. Today my keyboard backlighting is not turning off, nor is my PC.

Logs Sent

HAWKI 

Do you have fast startup enabled or disabled?

If you have fast startup enabled and you disable it, can you then shut down?

5 hours ago, stapp said:

HAWKI 

Do you have fast startup enabled or disabled?

If you have fast startup enabled and you disable it, can you then shut down?

Hi stapp :-)

I did have "fast startup" enabled.

Disabling "fast startup" eliminates the issue. I have tested it several times.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Thanks stapp. ;)

We do have debug logs for this issue, so hopefully our developers will be able to resolve it before too long.

Is there still no fix for this? They've had my log files now for over 2 weeks!

We have to make sure that any potential fix gets thoroughly tested and is at least free of any new major issues before we release it.

You're welcome. Hopefully it won't be too much longer before we can release a fix for this. ;)

I have a Surface Pro 3 and with EIS installed, my screen goes dark when signing out and keyboard is still lit.  Restart is required to return functionality.  I have disabled fast start but this does not help.  Restart from sleep, startup is very slow with EIS installed.  With Windows defender, much smoother and faster.

8 hours ago, jmagnuso said:

I have a Surface Pro 3 and with EIS installed, my screen goes dark when signing out and keyboard is still lit.  Restart is required to return functionality.  I have disabled fast start but this does not help.  Restart from sleep, startup is very slow with EIS installed.  With Windows defender, much smoother and faster.

Does using the latest beta version resolve the problem? Here's how to try it if you'd like to:

1. Open Emsisoft Internet Security.

2. Click on Settings in the menu at the top.

3. Click on Updates in the menu at the top.

4. On the left, under Update Settings, click on the box to the right of Update feed and select Beta from the list.

5. Click on the Update now button on the right side.

2 hours ago, GT500 said:

Does using the latest beta version resolve the problem? Here's how to try it if you'd like to:

1. Open Emsisoft Internet Security.

2. Click on Settings in the menu at the top.

3. Click on Updates in the menu at the top.

4. On the left, under Update Settings, click on the box to the right of Update feed and select Beta from the list.

5. Click on the Update now button on the right side.

Thanks for the info.  The beta setting has fixed the issue.

Can I switch to the Beta Update just to get the "shut down fix" and then switch back to released updates? Or won't that mixing work well ?

Any idea yet when the beta fix will be released ?

Hawki: no, as soon as you switch back EIS will update to the old stable version thus losing the beta.  If you change to the beta feed you need to keep using that feed until the corresponding stable update is released, then you can go back to taking stable updates only.

2 minutes ago, JeremyNicoll said:

Hawki: no, as soon as you switch back EIS will update to the old stable version thus losing the beta.  If you change to the beta feed you need to keep using that feed until the corresponding stable update is released, then you can go back to taking stable updates only.

Thank You Jeremy :-)

12 hours ago, HAWKI said:

Any idea yet when the beta fix will be released ?

It's hard to be certain. It depends on the feedback we get about the beta, and whether or not there any any new issues that need to be fixed before we can release it as a stable build.