stapp

CLOSED 7424 USB scan

EAM on Win 7 64bit after autoupdate to 7424

When I set up the scan setting to auto scan at usb insertion, I then tried it out.

1st point.. the right hand slide comes out and still says..''It isn't necessary to initiate a manual scan of this device. Scan anyway''

2nd point... there is no indication in EAM taskbar shield that a scan is running.

Hi stapp.
Your issue seems to occur after the 2nd scan and it's not related to USB scans only.
Thanks

Sorry Frank, don't quite understand your reply.

I noticed 2 issues.

No indication in taskbar that USB scan is running

USB auto scan makes EAM slide come out and say a manual scan is not needed.

Which issue have you confirmed?

Hi stapp.
this one

2nd point... there is no indication in EAM taskbar shield that a scan is running.

I'ts not a bug, it's by design.

Notifications and scheduled scans have no relation.

So if you setup a scheduled scan for usb insertions and you have 'removable device connections' notifications enabled, you will see that notification.

If you don't want to see those notifications, just disable them, as they have not much sense when a scheduled scan already is going to start, right ?

Sorry Frank I don't think that makes sense :)

EAM now has a setting which will automatically scan a usb, but EAM calls it a manual scan? (should it not be custom, hiding it changes nothing :lol:)

Ah well never mind !!

Frank said:

> If you don't want to see those notifications, just disable them, as they have not much sense when a scheduled scan already is going to start, right ?

But... you might want to have notifications on for randomly-inserted USB sticks, while at the same time scheduling scans of, say, a more or less permanently attached USB external drive. I think I agree with Stapp that the message, as worded now, is confusing.

Hi Jermey

But... you might want to have notifications on for randomly-inserted USB sticks, while at the same time scheduling scans of, say, a more or less permanently attached USB external drive.

Not sure what you want to achieve ;)

you could:

1) setup a scheduled scan which is triggered by 'USB insertion'.
Such scan starts for every inserted USB stick/drive
If you have such scans enabled, the Notification ' Removable device connections' makes no sense and should be disabled manually.

2) setup scheduled scans for permanently attached external USB drives
There is no relation with the scans mentioned at point 1.

Enabling the setting Notification ' Removable device connections' only makes sense when you have no scheduled scans for 'USB insertion' setup.

OK, what you say clarifies the differences between the two types of scan.  But still, if one does have notifications on, even if it's only because one's not yet turned them off, the text that stapp first mentioned:

''It isn't necessary to initiate a manual scan of this device. Scan anyway''

isn't useful.  It's be far better if it said something like:   The recently inserted USB drive is being scanned because you turned on 'scan on USB insertion'.