Sign in to follow this  
Mariano

EEK Access violation during update

While updating EEK I get this error dialog:

"Access violation at address 00401B01 in module 'a2emergencykit.exe'. Read of address FFFFFFFC".

Recently I got almost the same error message:

"Access violation at address 00401B01 in module 'a2emergencykit.exe'. Read of address FB051874"

I have to close the program via Task Manager.

Hi Mariano,

This is an old issue.

Currently the only cure is to re-download the whole Package & performing current small differential update

...and then updating it very frequently

From my experience that's happening only if you need a substantial update (due to not updating EEK for a few days)

Please read this thread

My regards

Hi Mariano,

This is an old issue.

Currently the only cure is to re-download the whole Package & performing current small differential update

...and then updating it very frequently

From my experience that's happening only if you need a substantial update (due to not updating EEK for a few days)

Please read this thread

My regards

Hi Lynx

Thank you for the reply.

FYI, I was able to successfully update EEK after running CCleaner.

Previously, I had updated 12 days ago, so that fits the description you gave about infrequent updates.

I am discouraged by how long it takes me to update EEK (and I have a good cable broadband connection), so I have not been enthusiastic about updating.

Maybe the CCleaner route will work for others experiencing this issue.

By the way, I had looked at the thread you linked, but I did not see the same access violation message that I have been receiving... but I confess to not opening every image in that thread.

Thanks again, Lynx

Hi Mariano, & thanks for the reply

The address may differ

The CCleaner use & "helping" was just coincidental for sure.

I am using CCleaner on a regular basis, sometimes several times per day since many installations/re-installations of different Software for testing purposes

More thorough Reg. cleaners are used as well (usually I do that once a month, but recently at least every 1.5-2 weeks)

Cheers!

p.s.

... but I confess to not opening every image in that thread...
You've sinned :lol:

The CCleaner use & "helping" was just coincidental for sure.

I am using CCleaner on a regular basis, sometimes several times per day since many installations/re-installations of different Software for testing purposes

More thorough Reg. cleaners are used as well (usually I do that once a month, but recently at least every 1.5-2 weeks)

Maybe coincidental, Lynx, and maybe not.

Like you, I also run CCleaner frequently.

But what I am saying is that running it immediately after receiving these access violation errors resulted in no more errors and a successful update.

If there is no known reason and fix for this issue, how can you be so sure that CCleaner did not make the difference for me in my situation?

I recall that the last time I encountered this issue, I may have rebooted to fix it.

I ask you, what have you done to correct the issue?

Does it just go away on its own?

And please, just to appease me, the next time you encounter the error, will you run CCleaner?

B)

...If there is no known reason and fix for this issue, how can you be so sure that CCleaner did not make the difference for me in my situation?
There is no current "fix" except the one mentioned, which is rather workaround - re-download

As for me being sure that running CCleaner will do nothing - guarantied ... that is written above

...I ask you, what have you done to correct the issue? Does it just go away on its own?
Certainly not - it haven't "go away on its own" it's still present

Nothing goes away on its own ... unless addressed by the developers and fixed ...

...And please, just to appease me, the next time you encounter the error, will you run CCleaner?

"appease" you ? Nice one! :) I like it. Is there another way I can do that? :P

Sure, I will test it again, since I do know you for a long time as being an experienced user

I have a stick that was not updated for a while

I am absolutely sure that will not work ... but I have to come up with the scenario in order to convince you ...

Oh! wrong wording ... "to appease"

Do not take it seriously though ... all will be settled down & fixed - EEK is a pretty young fellow

Anyway, when having the described problem, have you tried just re-download & run the update... without running any (doubtful in this particular case) Reg cleaning Tools?

I am 100% sure - that will work

Cheers, man!

Hi Mariano,

As I promised I ran the test again with one of the sticks that was not updated since 24th of September

You can see it failed 2 times in a row.

Sure I did run CCleaner in between as you suggested & that did not help at all, as I was pointing above – that was a complete coincidence in your case

The video clip (attached) is pretty much boring :) ...but still is another prove (I hope)

The initial one was ~800MB , which was reduced by compression to xVid-MP4 (avi container) to ~180MB I reduced it to 32MB by editing & removing some spare frames pretty roughly.

I don't have time now to make more reduction despite it is possible

The main difference compare to the previous scenario – as you can see, I did not need to kill the application this time since it was dead by itself after displaying the stack of Access Violation Errors

The “Winsta.dll” message was reported previously as well

Do not pay attention to Comodo's Defense+ Alert – that is a correct one

(USB devices are treated specifically by that HIPS plus I usually purging unneeded entries)

My regards