Sign in to follow this  
ymchen

EIS and Malwarebytes

On 4/19/2017 at 10:50 AM, GT500 said:

SurfRight (which makes the HitmanPro series of products) is one of our partners, and has used our scanning engine in their HitmanPro scanner and has even resold our Emsisoft Anti-Malware for many years, so they usually work to make their products compatible with ours.

hi , does emsisoft compatible with malwarebytes full version ?

Emsisoft Anti-Malware should be OK with products from Malwarebytes. Emsisoft Internet Security is not compatible with the Pro versions of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware or Malwarebytes 3.

Why not ?   I have been running both on two Windows 10 desktops for quite some time. I do program each to ignore the other. Have not noticed a problem. I run Zemana and EIS on this laptop.

If you are referring to the the way MBAM said that they are a antivirus replacement when version 3 came out, that was not the

case. MBAM and an antivirus program do not do their jobs the same way.

3 hours ago, Ken1943 said:

Why not ?   I have been running both on two Windows 10 desktops for quite some time. I do program each to ignore the other. Have not noticed a problem. I run Zemana and EIS on this laptop.

If you are referring to the the way MBAM said that they are a antivirus replacement when version 3 came out, that was not the

case. MBAM and an antivirus program do not do their jobs the same way.

In response to a similar question by HAWKI, GT 500 basically said:

Both use WFP drivers, and it could cause problems when more than one application is filtering network traffic with a WFP driver at the same time.

It's a difference in opinion in regards to the quirkiness/reliability of the WFP (Windows Filtering Platform) API. It is, like many Microsoft API's, somewhat buggy. What's worse is that it can work differently on different versions of Windows, and the differences are not always documented, which means the differences sometimes have to be found by trial-and-error.

https://support.emsisoft.com/topic/26912-im-going-to-buy-it-but/#comment-167951

9 hours ago, Ken1943 said:

MBAM uses a WFP (Windows Filtering Platform) driver to filter network traffic. We do not consider third-party WFP drivers to be compatible with the WFP driver in EIS.

Since I have 2 lifetime licenses for MBAM I guess when my EIS licenses are up, I will go to another program. Unless some thing changes some where.

You could switch to Emsisoft Anti-Malware (it currently doesn't use a WFP driver), and get a separate firewall. We still don't really recommend running multiple products that use WFP drivers though, so you may be confined to using the Windows Firewall if you never want to have issues with WFP driver compatibility and still use MBAM.

On 5/6/2017 at 8:07 AM, Peter2150 said:

What are the symptoms of the conflict.

In theory one or both of the WFP drivers may be unable to filter network traffic. The symptoms could be worse than that as well (the network adapter may stop working, become "flaky" causing random dropped packets, etc).

On 5/6/2017 at 8:07 AM, Peter2150 said:

Also could it be OS dependent?

It's possible issues may be more common on certain versions of Windows, however it is difficult to say, as I don't think anyone has ever really done extensive testing with multiple WFP drivers installed and filtering network traffic at the same time to determine what all of the effects are and how they differ on each version of Windows.

I ran MBAM3 on win7x64 no problems as I could tell, and Adguard with WPF driver on all at the same time.

Maybe just a theory?

2 hours ago, xeon said:

I ran MBAM3 on win7x64 no problems as I could tell, and Adguard with WPF driver on all at the same time.

Feel free to test with multiple WFP drivers if you don't mind risking problems, however note that what we're concerned about is unpredictability, and thus we don't officially support EIS running alongside software that also used WFP drivers.

You're welcome.

Note that you should be able to keep their freeware scanner, just as long as the real-time protection doesn't get activated. ;)