MTS

EIS Protection service A2AntiMalware not loading on startup

Windows 7 home premium, 32 bit. EIS 2017.4.0.7424

For the last few days the A2AntiMalware service is not loading at startup.

The computer stalls with just a frozen cursor for a couple of minutes. Eventually it does start but the A2AntiMalware service just shows starting.

You cannot stop it or try restarting it. Sometimes rebooting the computer a couple of times will result in a successful start.

Today I had no such luck and eventually after a few reboots had to restore an image from yesterday.

I already tried to uninstall and reinstall EIS and it was ok for a couple of days and then it started not loading again.

Seems to only have started since the last software update.

Thanks in advance!

Lets get a log from FRST, and see if it shows the cause of the issue. Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) from one of the following links, and save it to your Desktop (please note that some web browsers will automatically save all downloads in your Downloads folder, so in those cases please move the download to your desktop):

For 32-bit (x86) editions of Windows:

For 64-bit (x64) editions of Windows:

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your computer. If you are not sure which version applies to your computer, then download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your computer, and that will be the right version.

1. Run the FRST download that works on your computer (for Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8 please right-click on the file and select Run as administrator).

2. When the tool opens click Yes for the disclaimer in order to continue using FRST.

3. Press the Scan button.

4. When the scan is done, it will save a log as a Text Document named FRST in the same place the tool was run from (if you had saved FRST on your desktop, then the FRST log will be saved there).

5. Please attach the FRST log file to a reply using the More Reply Options button to the lower-right of where you type in your reply to access the attachment controls.

6. The first time the FRST tool is run it saves another log (a Text Document named Addition - also located in the same place as the FRST tool was run from). Please also attach that log file along with the FRST log file to your reply.

Hi Arthur,

I just rebooted and failed to get the problem to happen.

The next time A2AntiMalware hangs on boot-up I will zip and attach the mini dump to see if that shows anything.

Have you had a chance to look at the logs from FRST I uploaded yesterday?

cheers!

Hi Arthur,

Just now I had to reboot 4 times before a successful load of A2AntiMalware.

It didn't create a crash dump in Users\Public\CrashDumps as I expected.

When scanning with CCleaner and having error reporting selected it showed me error reports.

Will try to link to png showing dialogue that comes up after waiting for some time.

A2_Anti_Malware_error.png

I have zipped the folder in case it is of any use.

cheers!

AppHang_a2AntiMalware.zip

Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit isn't configured to monitor Emsisoft Internet Security, is it? Technically that should cause a system freeze if it is, but I guess it could cause the A2AntiMalware service to fail to start as well.

Going through the Event Log errors, I noticed the following:

Error: (05/12/2017 09:39:52 PM) (Source: Disk) (EventID: 11) (User: )
Description: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk4\DR4.

Error: (05/12/2017 09:39:50 PM) (Source: Disk) (EventID: 11) (User: )
Description: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk4\DR4.

Which means that the hard drive controller could be having problems.

The next time it happens, can you open a Command Prompt and run the following commands to see if our firewall drivers are running? I should see an error in the FRST logs if they are failing to start for some reason, but just in case the following should tell us if they are running.

sc query FWNDIS_LWF
sc query fwwfp

If you want to have the output saved to a text file that you can copy and paste here, then just run the following instead:

sc query FWNDIS_LWF>>%UserProfile%\Desktop\FWNDIS_LWF.txt
sc query fwwfp>>%UserProfile%\Desktop\fwwfp.txt

Hi Arthur,

Thanks for the reply. The problem is A2AntiMalware service failing to start.

After putting in password the computer just hangs with a frozen cursor on a black screen. Then after some minutes it finally boots to desktop. I can then try rebooting.

At that point when looking at A2AntiMalware in Task Manager or Services snap-in it just shows starting. You can't press stop or restart the service.

If I wait long enough eventually the dialogue as shown in the previous graphic comes up. A Major problem has prevented.........etc.

Again today it loaded fine. Can't work out why sometimes it starts and other times it hangs.

Were you able to make any sense of the error report files in the zip attached to my last post? The first two files can be read in Notepad++ and do give some information on the failure to load the service.

The hardisk controller errors happen only when using USB flash drive. Usually comes up as Hard disk 3 or 4. It doesn't seem to affect using the drive and I just live with the errors.

As for Malwarebytes Anti-exploit I have used it forever, keep it updated regularly and it has never presented problems.

Cheers!

Hi Arthur,

After spending some time in linux mint I just rebooted and it failed to load A2AntiMalware on the first try. The second boot was fine.

I ran the firewall driver queries as suggested after the failed boot. Here are the results.

SERVICE_NAME: FWNDIS_LWF
        TYPE               : 1  KERNEL_DRIVER  
        STATE              : 4  RUNNING
                                (STOPPABLE, NOT_PAUSABLE, IGNORES_SHUTDOWN)
        WIN32_EXIT_CODE    : 0  (0x0)
        SERVICE_EXIT_CODE  : 0  (0x0)
        CHECKPOINT         : 0x0
        WAIT_HINT          : 0x0

SERVICE_NAME: fwwfp

cheers!

On 5/15/2017 at 11:15 PM, MTS said:

The problem is A2AntiMalware service failing to start.

The firewall drivers failing to start can cause the a2AntiMalware service to fail to start, although since they were running when you checked then that is more than likely not the cause of the issue here.

At that point when looking at A2AntiMalware in Task Manager or Services snap-in it just shows starting. You can't press stop or restart the service.

If I wait long enough eventually the dialogue as shown in the previous graphic comes up. A Major problem has prevented.........etc.

After you see that dialog, I assume that a2guard.exe is no longer running? If so, then you should be able to try to manually start the a2AntiMalware service and watch to see if a2service.exe ever appears in the list of running processes (Task Manager will need to be running with administrative rights to be able to see it). I didn't see any indication from the Event Logs that it was crashing, so I think it's more likely that it doesn't even get that far.

Were you able to make any sense of the error report files in the zip attached to my last post? The first two files can be read in Notepad++ and do give some information on the failure to load the service.

The WER report says it is a service hang. That makes me wonder if we might be able to get a memory dump of the service. Self-protection would need to be turned off before doing this (open EIS, go to Settings, and the option is in the upper-left under Guard Settings), and if the a2service.exe process isn't staying in memory then we'd need to use something like ProcDump to capture the dump, but it should be doable.

Let me know if you notice a2service.exe running on startup using something like Process Hacker or Process Explorer the next time the issue happens. If you do, and you have managed to turn off the self-protection, then you can right-click on a2service.exe and select to create/save a dump. Process Explorer will have an option for a minidump, but we will want a full dump of the running process. Process Hacker saves full dumps automatically.

42 minutes ago, GT500 said:

After you see that dialog, I assume that a2guard.exe is no longer running?

Just now when rebooting after using linux mint the first boot failed. Had I already read your reply I could have tried to follow your instructions.

I presume a2guard.exe is not running because the EIS icon is not on the task bar. It is in the pop up box for customization of the task bar icons. Only shown when active!

From memory I don't think I could do anything with the icon at all. I will have to try to get it to fail again and then follow your instructions.

47 minutes ago, GT500 said:

Self-protection would need to be turned off before doing this (open EIS, go to Settings, and the option is in the upper-left under Guard Settings), and if the a2service.exe process isn't staying in memory then we'd need to use something like ProcDump to capture the dump, but it should be doable.

I am unsure how I would turn off self-protection as I can't get EIS to load when a2antimalware fails to load.

50 minutes ago, GT500 said:

Let me know if you notice a2service.exe running on startup using something like Process Hacker or Process Explorer the next time the issue happens. If you do, and you have managed to turn off the self-protection, then you can right-click on a2service.exe and select to create/save a dump. Process Explorer will have an option for a minidump, but we will want a full dump of the running process. Process Hacker saves full dumps automatically.

I have downloaded Process Hacker Portable. I will put your instructions in a text file so I can try what you suggested.

Where does Process Hacker save the dump file? I could not find an option in the settings.

I hope I can get it to fail again so I can give further details. I presume you mean to turn off self protection now before a reboot.

thanks for your help.

Hi Arthur,

I just rebooted 4 times and could not get EIS to fail.

I will have to wait till the next time it happens to further track down the possible cause.

I did notice after turning off self protection that File Guard was not active after booting.

It took a couple of minutes for it to finally kick in.

Edit! Process hacker saves the dump wherever on chooses. :blush:

17 hours ago, MTS said:

Edit! Process hacker saves the dump wherever on chooses. :blush:

Yes, that's correct. ;)

18 hours ago, MTS said:

I presume a2guard.exe is not running because the EIS icon is not on the task bar.

Normally that is correct, since drawing that icon is one of its primary functions (along with displaying notifications and alerts).

You should be able to check fairly easily with Process Hacker whether or not it is running. You'll notice the following running processes when Emsisoft Internet Security is working correctly:

• a2guard.exe (draws the Notification Area icon, displays notifications, and displays alerts)
  • a2start.exe (the main program window that allows for interacting with EIS and changing settings, this is pre-loaded into memory on startup in increase performance)
  • a2service.exe (the main service that does all of the work in the background)

Hi Arthur,

This morning I had yet another successful boot.

I will have to wait until it fails to load again to check your suggestions.

When a2antimalware fails to load I am not able to start EIS so I am not sure how I could turn off self protection.

Would disabling self protection cause a security problem if I turn it off until I get another boot failure?

Also I did a trial dump from process hacker and it was >500MB. Does that sound right?

I did the dump while EIS was running fine, just so I knew it would work.

Edit! I just rebooted and it was successful. Can't get it to happen at the moment.

There was an EIS program update yesterday, not sure if that changes anything. Will have to wait and see,

Thanks for persevering with my issue.:)

Hi Arthur,

Well the program update didn't change anything. Just had to reboot three times for success.

Details from boot failure.

When running Emsisoft Diagnostic.bat it seems to be stuck on Step 1 of 3 - Checking update.emsisoft.com
Checked internet connection in firefox and it is fine. Command window frozen on checking......
Will try the commands for the firewall drivers you gave previously.

sc query FWNDIS_LWF>>%UserProfile%\Desktop\FWNDIS_LWF.txt
sc query fwwfp>>%UserProfile%\Desktop\fwwfp.txt

SERVICE_NAME: FWNDIS_LWF

SERVICE_NAME: fwwfp

So it appears firewall drivers are running.
a2guard.exe and a2start.exe not running. a2antimalware in task manager stuck on starting.
If I right click it to press stop I get a permissions error.
Not sure why the diagnostic script can't connect to emsisoft server as I had hoped to send it in PM to you.
Process Hacker shows A2Service.exe so I will right click and do a dump. Hope this is what you wanted.
Windows task manager shows a2AntiMalware status is Starting. When I press go to process it shows a2service.exe with PID, memory use etc.
I presume that means it is running but why does Services a2AntiMalware show starting and EIS not starting?
Now I hope to have a sucessful boot!

Attaching zip of a2service.exe.dmp from process hacker.

Now that I have booted ok I have run Emsisoft Diagnostic.bat and will PM log to you in case it is usefull.

a2service.exe.zip

Hi Arthur,

Sent PM of Emsisoft Diagnostic.log

Forgot your advice about turning off self protection.

When I did the dump it was not turned off. Does that make a difference to the process hacker dump?

Sorry for my ignorance.:rolleyes:

In the logs, your DNS server is configured as 127.0.0.1. I recommend either configuring Windows to automatically determine your DNS server, or using a service such as OpenDNS.

15 hours ago, MTS said:

When I did the dump it was not turned off. Does that make a difference to the process hacker dump?

Not turning off the self-protection should cause Process Hacker to freeze while accessing a2service.exe's memory, and thus prevent the full dump from being saved. It's difficult to tell from the size of the dump, however it may be complete. I'll ask our developers if they can take a look at the dump.

Hi Arthur,

My DNS is already set at OpenDNS.

Computer failed to start a2AntiMalware on first boot again this morning. Second boot was fine.

Let me know if there is anything else I can provide to help troubleshoot this problem.

Cheers!

DNS_Setting.png

Try changing the DNS setting back to Obtain DNS server address automatically, click OK, then open it back up and re-enter the addresses for OpenDNS. After that, restart your computer, and then open a Command Prompt and run the following:

nslookup update.emsisoft.com>>%UserProfile%\Desktop\nslookup.txt

Copy and paste the result into a reply so that I can see if it had any effect.

Also, could you run a Command Prompt as an administrator, and then run the System File Checker by running the following command?

SFC /SCANNOW

The memory dump showed some odd issues with system files, and we think they may need to be repaired.

Hi Arthur,

Just to let you know I always get errors from sfc because I have an unofficial install of gpedit.msc on Windows 7 Home Premium.

I will run sfc /scannow though and paste the results.

Verification 100% complete.
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example
C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

2017-05-19 10:17:09, Info                  CSI    00000221 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:14{7}]"fde.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-fde, Version = 6.1.7601.17514, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
2017-05-19 10:17:09, Info                  CSI    00000223 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:22{11}]"fdeploy.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-fdeploy, Version = 6.1.7601.17514, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
2017-05-19 10:17:09, Info                  CSI    00000225 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:20{10}]"gptext.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-GroupPolicy-Gptext, Version = 6.1.7600.16385, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
2017-05-19 10:17:09, Info                  CSI    00000227 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:20{10}]"gpedit.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-GroupPolicy-Admin-Gpedit, Version = 6.1.7600.16385, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch

These 4 files: fde.dll, fdeploy.dll, gptext.dll and gpedit.dll are all related to GroupPolicy and I just ignore them now.
I have never ever had any files flagged by sfc apart from these 4.

Here are the results for you suggestions in your last post. I did as you suggested with changing dns to auto then back to opendns.

Had to reboot three times before EIS would load.

Additional info on EIS failure:

a2guard.exe is running. a2start.exe is not. a2antimalware.exe is stuck on starting.
Starting EIS from desktop icon brings up dialogue "Emsisoft Protection is waiting for a component (service) to start...."
Tried once again to run Emsisoft Diagnostic.bat and it it stuck on Step 2 of 3 - Checking dl.emsisoft.com
Looking at Task Manager memory usage for a2service.exe in Processes when running properly it is 211,584K
When a2antimalware is stuck on starting the memory of a2service.exe is only 44,864K

This is from Failed start of a2AntiMalware.
Server:  UnKnown
Address:  208.67.222.222

C:\Windows\system32>ping google.com

Pinging google.com [58.162.61.44] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 58.162.61.44:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

Browser working fine.

This is from successful start of EIS

C:\Windows\system32>nslookup update.emsisoft.com>>%UserProfile%\Desktop\nslookup.txt
Non-authoritative answer:

Server:  resolver1.opendns.com
Address:  208.67.222.222

Name:    update.emsisoft.com
Address:  136.243.128.18

C:\Windows\system32>
Pinging google.com [58.162.61.45] with 32 bytes of d
Reply from 58.162.61.45: bytes=32 time=46ms TTL=61
Reply from 58.162.61.45: bytes=32 time=124ms TTL=61
Reply from 58.162.61.45: bytes=32 time=121ms TTL=61
Reply from 58.162.61.45: bytes=32 time=62ms TTL=61

Ping statistics for 58.162.61.45:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% lo
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 46ms, Maximum = 124ms, Average = 88ms

Edited by MTS
Correct spelling mistake

Hi Arthur,

I did a dump of a2service.exe from reboot after turning off Emsisoft self protection. luckily for me a2antimalware hung on the reboot.
Also a2guard,exe shuts down when pressing OK after waiting some minutes for the dialogue that says Emsisoft is waiting etc..... (a2start.exe not running at all)
Upon a succesful reboot I checked settings general and self protection was still turned off.
I presume that is what you wanted me to do. Having redone the dump of a2service.exe I have now turned self protection back on.
Uploading a2services.exe.dmp made from process hacker with self protection turned off.

a2service.exe.zip

It looks like at least some of the issues we saw in the dumb were simply that Microsoft has not made debugging symbols available for newer versions of certain system files. We'll have to wait for Microsoft to make those debugging symbols available before we can take a good look at the memory dump.

23 hours ago, MTS said:

This is from Failed start of a2AntiMalware.

This is from successful start of EIS

That is rather interesting. The firewall must be blocking some external communication when EIS isn't working properly.

Try uninstalling EIS, restart your computer twice, and then get me logs from both FRST and the diagnostic batch file. I am curious to see if all of the drivers get removed properly.

Hi Arthur,

I have uninstalled and rebooted twice. Ran FRST and the diagnostic batch file.

Will PM the diagnostic log and upload the FRST logs.

I have reinstalled EIS but have not rebooted.

When this problem first started I did uninstall, reboot twice and then ran Emsiclean.exe to make sure there were no leftovers.

Therefore I don't think anything has changed since the latest reinstall.

Diagnostic log PM'd

FRST.txt

Addition.txt

I noticed the following old driver in the FRST log which can be deleted (it's just a useless file sitting there doing nothing), however I don't expect this leftover driver to be capable of causing any problems:

C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\fwndislwf32.sys

I think this may have something to do with the problem, however it may simply be another symptom and not the cause:

Error: (05/20/2017 10:48:47 AM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-WLAN-AutoConfig) (EventID: 10000) (User: NT AUTHORITY)
Description: WLAN Extensibility Module has failed to start.

Module Path: C:\Windows\system32\Rtlihvs.dll
Error Code: 193

You may also have some Visual C++ related issues, and may want to uninstall all of the versions of Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Packages that you have installed, restart your computer, and then grab the latest ones from Microsoft and reinstall them:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads

I'm assuming of course that the above will not resolve the issue you are having with EIS, so I also recommend using Windows Repair (All In One) to run a network repair since there seems to be some sort of network related issues on your computer. You can get the portable version from the following link (note that if EIS is installed then the Behavior Blocker will need to be turned off before running this, as it may attempt to block the repairs, or show a large number of alerts):

http://www.tweaking.com/files/setups/tweaking.com_windows_repair_aio.zip

When running it, there are a number of steps (shown as tabs) that have pre-checks of various sorts. Step #1 is highly recommended by the makers of Windows Repair (All In One), and while I generally consider it optional, note that it isn't a bad idea to do it as it can resolve some rather weird problems. I do recommend running Step #2 just to make sure that there are no problems, however please note that this check (and especially if you choose to do the associated repairs if it finds anything wrong) is rather lengthy. Step #3 is an integrity check of the filesystem (chkdsk), and if you have already done this then feel free to skip it. Step #4 is SFC, and can be skipped. Step #5 is backups, and is highly recommended (at the very least make sure the System Restore is on and create a Restore Point before proceeding to the "Repairs" tab).

Once you open the Repairs, make sure that only the following repairs are selected. Also make sure that the option to restart your computer (on the right) is selected.

• 01 - Reset Registry Permissions
  • 03 - Reset Service Permissions
  • 06 - Repair Windows Firewall
  • 13 - Repair Network
  • 26 - Restore Important Windows Services
  • 27 - Set Windows Services To Default Startup

Once you have the above repairs selected, and have made sure that those are the only selected repairs, you may start the repairs (button should be in the lower-right corner). Note that your computer will need restarted after the repairs are completed, so if you didn't select to have Windows Repair (All In One) do that automatically then you can do it yourself once the repairs are complete and you are ready to reboot the system.

After all of that, please go ahead and try reinstalling EIS. Here's the download link again, since it's usually faster to download a fresh copy of the installer than wait for all of the updates to download and install:

http://dl.emsisoft.com/EmsisoftInternetSecuritySetup.exe

3 hours ago, GT500 said:

I noticed the following old driver in the FRST log which can be deleted (it's just a useless file sitting there doing nothing), however I don't expect this leftover driver to be capable of causing any problems:

C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\fwndislwf32.sys

Deleted.

3 hours ago, GT500 said:

I think this may have something to do with the problem, however it may simply be another symptom and not the cause:

Error: (05/20/2017 10:48:47 AM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-WLAN-AutoConfig) (EventID: 10000) (User: NT AUTHORITY)
Description: WLAN Extensibility Module has failed to start.

Module Path: C:\Windows\system32\Rtlihvs.dll
Error Code: 193

This is a realtek service. Have tried many times to resolve this error but haven't found a fix. It doesn't cause problems. Realtek IHV service.

Windows can detect and report if the WLAN Extensibility module fails to start or stops unexpectedly .

The WLAN Extensibility module provides independent hardware vendors (IHVs) with more flexibility to support advanced features of IEEE 802.11 networks, and extend the built-in wireless client for additional wireless services and custom capabilities. For example, IHVs and independent software vendors (ISVs) can use WLAN Extensibility to provide customized configuration dialog boxes and wizards to display custom ISV or IHV wireless features and capabilities that are not provided by default in Windows.

Contact the IHV provider for your hardware

Contact your computer manufacturer, or the manufacturer of your wireless network adapter for the most recent adapter drivers

I have the latest realtek Pcie adapter drivers installed.

As for the tweaking.com fixes I already have that program, but will leave it for now.

I have found a way to work around the problem of a2antimalware not starting.

In Task Manager if I select show processors from all users and right click on a2service.exe and select end process it magically restarts and EIS loads.

This is not ideal but saves me from having sometimes 3 or 4 reboots in an attempt to have EIS Start properly.

When it hangs it takes about 2 or 3 minutes for the desktop to finally load to allow one to select restart. Some kind of timeout going on.

Having gone back through many threads I have found a few threads about the same problem. No fix found however.

Hi Arthur,

Emsisoft update just wanted a restart so I did. EIS Didn't start so as I said before I ended the process a2service.exe.

I mentioned before that when a2antimalware is stuck on starting in services, a2services in processes is using around 44MB of memory, which is abnormal.

After ending a2services.exe it restarts, EIS loads and all is well. The memory used by a2services when EIS has loaded is around 206MB which is normal.

It actually takes about 1.5 minutes to time out and load desktop. Just seems like three minutes when watching a frozen cursor. lol

Have you tried setting the service start type to Manual in services.msc? Hold down the Windows logo key and tap R, type in services.msc, and then click OK and look for the Emsisoft Protection Service.

Note that we do believe we have been able to reproduce the issue in testing, and our developers are working on trying to determine what is causing it.

Hi Arthur,

Once again EIS failed to load on startup.Used the End process method in task manager and it restarted a2service.exe which then allows EIS to start.

This method works reliably with the only downside being a 45MB error dump each time I boot which is a drag as it increases data usage on the SSD.

Will set the Emsisoft Protection Service to manual and see if anything changes after reboots.

If Manual doesn't help, they you can try the Automatic (Delayed Start) startup type as well.

Hi Arthur,

When setting to manual you don't have the 2 minute delay waiting for desktop to load.

However I still had to end the process a2service.exe as before. Also when a2service.exe restarted EIS didn't start.

I had to start it from the desktop icon.

When trying to set the start to automatic delayed start I got the following:

The delayed auto-start flag could not be set.
Error 87: The parameter is incorrect.

20 hours ago, MTS said:

When trying to set the start to automatic delayed start I got the following:

The delayed auto-start flag could not be set.
Error 87: The parameter is incorrect.

We may have disabled that in the service configuration. If so, then I'm not certain when it happened.

If you want you can turn off the option in EIS's settings to run when Windows starts (Enable real-time protection at startup), which will remove the startup item for a2guard.exe, and thus a2service.exe won't run on startup either. You can then open EIS manually from the desktop icon when you are ready to, and a2guard.exe and a2service.exe will be started as well.

2 hours ago, GT500 said:

We may have disabled that in the service configuration. If so, then I'm not certain when it happened.

If you want you can turn off the option in EIS's settings to run when Windows starts (Enable real-time protection at startup), which will remove the startup item for a2guard.exe, and thus a2service.exe won't run on startup either. You can then open EIS manually from the desktop icon when you are ready to, and a2guard.exe and a2service.exe will be started as well.

Hi Arthur,

I disabled real-time protection at startup. a2amtimalware still hung on startup. I then had to wait 90secs or so for the destop to come up.

Used end process of a2service.exe in task manager which restarted a2service.exe. I then had to use icon on desktop to start EIS.

I seems that because  a2service.exe is set to autostart it does try even when real-time protection at startup is turned off.

On 24/05/2017 at 9:35 AM, GT500 said:

Note that we do believe we have been able to reproduce the issue in testing, and our developers are working on trying to determine what is causing it.

I guess I will just have to use the end process method to restart a2service.exe which then allows a2antimalware to load successfully until a fix is found.

I think for now I will put the emsisoft protection service to manual start which seems to avoid the long wait for the desktop to come up.

Then I can use my workaround to start EIS.

Thanks for your continued help on this, and if a fix is found could you post the information here so I can resolve the issue.

11 minutes ago, MTS said:

I think for now I will put the emsisoft protection service to manual start which seems to avoid the long wait for the desktop to come up.

Then I can use my workaround to start EIS.

I am sure I tried manual start before and EIS didn't start but I may be wrong.

I have just rebooted three times in a row with Manual start of a2service.exe and there is no wait for the desktop with a2antimalware stuck on starting.

EIS Starts automatically and has exclamation mark in the icon. It takes a couple of seconds and then icon is green shield.

It seems that EIS starting starts the service and seconds later all is well. Also this way I don't have 45MB dmp error on startup so less writes to the SSD.

I keep forgetting to mention it but when I post replies the text is double spaced lines. Cutting and pasting results in single line spacing.

Where is there a setting to change it to single line spacing.

4 hours ago, MTS said:

I keep forgetting to mention it but when I post replies the text is double spaced lines. Cutting and pasting results in single line spacing.

Where is there a setting to change it to single line spacing.

It's (an annoying :lol:) part of the forum software.

On most forums you click once to move your cursor from the end of a line of text and to start a new line, and then click enter again to add a space between the new line of text and the old line of text.

So on Emsi forum you only need to click enter once to end a line of text and move to a new line of text with a single line spacing.

It's difficult because everyone is so used to clicking twice!!

Hmm, I'd not noticed that c&p resulted in single spacing!  Unlike stapp I tend just to press Enter at the ends of limes... and get double spacing too (Grrr!).  The only way to get single spacing otherwise is to just keep on typing so that the text wraps very long sentences as - hopefully - you'll see with this one.

@stapp, @JeremyNicoll

Thank you both for the clarification. I wondered what the heck I was doing wrong.

Looks like I will have to stop using enter as well.:rolleyes:

@stapp

I'm not sure I follow.

Pressing enter once takes me down two lines.

I have pressed enter once after the previous two lines and end up with double line spacing.

:unsure:

Stapp means, I think, "just press once to get a new paragraph" (which is what the double spacing is).  More to the point, don't press Enter at all at the end of a normal line... just keep typing.  Or compose the text somewhere else and c&p it in.

@GT500, Thanks for the link.

@JeremyNicoll LOL you beat me to it. Was going to post the shift enter thing to let you know.
And here is a new line. :rolleyes:

Arthur's Shift/Enter comment didn't show up in the email notice so I went to the link and read all the comments till I came to the magic solution.

14 hours ago, MTS said:

Arthur's Shift/Enter comment didn't show up in the email notice so I went to the link and read all the comments till I came to the magic solution.

I saw that suggestion in the forum discussion I linked to after I had already posted, so I edited my message to add it. The e-mail notifications about replies to posts only contain the original post content, and won't include any edits to the posts.

@GT500

Hi Arthur. Having just read the latest post on this page I see others having the same issue with EIS not starting.

After an update just before ( Now on 2017.5.1.7567) I thought I would try putting the Emsisoft Protection Service back to Auto.

I rebooted and there was no black screen delay. I will monitor over some more reboots to make sure the problem is fixed.
Thanks again for the shift/Return fix for new line. ;)