brokencomputer

Emsisoft blocked EVERYTHING from running

Emsisoft should really look into putting failsafes in place so that your software doesn't render computers unusable. I downloaded Emsisoft, to see how it would compare to Comodo Internet Security. Unbeknownst to me, as soon as the install process was initiated, and even before I clicked the button to start the 30-day trial, the combination of Emsisoft and Comodo blocked any and all applications from running, including the Emissoft uninstaller and the task manager. After a reset, it only got worse: not even the start button would work. The only thing I could open was the Emissoft settings screen, from where I disabled all shields and protections. (I also disabled Comodo's HIPS, thanks to still being able to right-click its icon in the task bar.) You would think that would work as *described*, but no, everything was still blocked. I tried another restart, whereupon things got only worse - the only thing I could see was the Comodo widget - not even the task bar was showing up now. And after yet one more restart, even the widget went away.

I finally found out that hitting shift + restart on the login screen booted to safe mode, where I was able to uninstall Emsisoft, and everything went back to normal - or at least it seemed to - the internet wasn't working. Turns out, Emsisoft left behind its internet blocking component on the Wi-fi adapter, even after it was uninstalled. That's some grade A level shitty programming.

Are you saying you tried to run Emsisoft Internet Security and Comodo Internet Security at the same time?

EIS is not compatible with any other security software.  You should never try to install an Internet Security solution when another is installed, even if it is deactivated.  All Internet Security suites use some sort of packet filter that will cause conflicts and can result in an unstable system.

Hi Kevin

It may not be compatible with other similiar security suites,  But for sure EIS is compatible with quite a bit of other security software

4 hours ago, Peter2150 said:

Hi Kevin

It may not be compatible with other similiar security suites,  But for sure EIS is compatible with quite a bit of other security software

You ae correct.  Seems I left out a word between security and software.  There are several different security solutions that can be run in parallel to EIS, but I would not run anything that has a packet filter with EIS installed.

Yep, I have modified my setup to take that into account.  Dropped MBAM 3.   Also I am familiar with those typo gremlins.  Seems our fingers betray us at time. :lol: