bocl

Why I uninstalled MAMUTU from my PC

Hi,

I am sorry to inform you that I decided to uninstall MAMUTU from my PC. I have a licence valid for 2 years , yet MAMUTU NEVER detected anything before my antivirus (AntiVir Pro).

I spent hours accessing bad websites or virus collection websites but ....nothing. MAMUTU NEVER detected anything.

On several occasion MAMUTU detected unusual behavior from Roxior Creator but let me know that there is no suggestion about what to do, which makes me believe that the comunity which is using MAMUTU is quite small or insignificant.

Mamutu is a great idea but is born in a wrong time!

Sorry for any inconvenience!

Claudiu

bocl,

I could download a million files from virus collection websites and i would be very surprised if Mamutu did detect one of those files.

Mamutu is no file scanner, it's is a behavior blocker!

When those malware files are executed you'll see Mamutu in action.

I don't know about the behavior that was detected while using Roxio.

Could be direct disk access? If you trust the program, allow that behavior.

A suggestion from the community is expected for commonly used software.

Whenever you are using a new version, a localized version or patched/cracked version of a program, there is a chance that there is not enough info about that particular program in the database to make a suggestion.

Hi,

Thank you for your answer!

A good Antivirus/Antispyware has a detection rate of 99.7%; with updates every 2 hours I am pretty sure that is nothing left to be executed , so "When those malware files are executed you'll see Mamutu in action." is more hypothetical than a fact.

The community behind Mamutu is pretty small, if even for Roxio Creator there are no sugestions...

I am sorry, but is not fesable to keep a piece of software like Mamutu (small footprint,I admit) on your PC if you do not see any action for 8 months because another software is more suited for the job.

Thanks,

Claudiu

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Claudiu, I wish you good luck that you'll never have to deal with malware that was written for a single attack on your computer/network.

You're right, signature based virus scanners will catch almost 99.9% of all viruses, but it needs only ONE missed malware item to steal your data, or business secrets, or clear your bank account, or...

That's why we have created Mamutu. It's made for the unexpected situations. It's not made to enable a full virus protection or to replace your antivirus software.

Btw. the community suggestions are calculated by using about a million user decisions. However, if Roxio starts to digitally sign their binaries (like all good software vendors today do), you wouldn't run into alerts for their software.

• Upvote 1

Thank you for your answer!

A good Antivirus/Antispyware has a detection rate of ...

Claudiu

You don't understand the answer.

Mamutu is not a scanner. It's a behavioural blocker.

Like ThreatFire. Doesn't have a detection rate either.

Have you ever used a HIPS? Doesn't have a detection rate either.

Mamutu can be seen as an automated HIPS.

You don't understand the answer.

Mamutu is not a scanner. It's a behavioural blocker.

Like ThreatFire. Doesn't have a detection rate either.

Have you ever used a HIPS? Doesn't have a detection rate either.

Mamutu can be seen as an automated HIPS.

Hi Baserk,

As I said, in 8 months MAMUTU did not block any bad behaviour BEFORE my Antivirus and Firewall, and when finally blocked something was a common program and asked me what to do....

Hi bocl,

"8 months"?!!... hmmm :rolleyes: It means that your system is indeed

is clean and/or you are very safe user - you are not doing anything "wrong" & not even testing Mamutu.

Have you ran any Trojan Tests within those "8 months"?

What happened when & if you do?

Anyway ... Can you please eventually post here at least the OS you are using?

(as in Forum Posting Rules)

That would be highly appreciated,

since if it's an XP the BB part indeed can be completely out of order taking in account some circumstances ("8 months" ago when the different version of Mamutu/EAM was in place it would work perfectly & always)

My regards

Hi bocl,

"8 months"?!!... hmmm :rolleyes: It means that your system is indeed

is clean and/or you are very safe user - you are not doing anything "wrong" & not even testing Mamutu.

Anyway ... Can you please eventually post here at least the OS you are using?

(as in Forum Posting Rules)

My regards

Hi Lynx,

Sorry I did not post it before:

Software:XP sp3, AntiVir Premium , Kerio 2.15 ( utorrent, peerblock, Accronis 10, etc)

Hardware:P4 3.2Ghz, 1G ram, DLink router

As I said, MAMUTU is a very nice program ( that's why I bought a 2 year license) , very well done, with an exceptional GUI, but doesn't block anything because either AntiVir or Kerio will do it first

I spent a lot of time traying to force MAMUTU to react somehow, the only reaction was for common programs and even then NO SUGESTION FROM COMUNITY....( is hard to believe I am the only one on this planet using Roxio Creator...)

I will try it again let's say in one year , when maybe a large enough comunity will be behind this program.

Meanwhile would be nice if Emisoft can "compensate" the lack of comunity with an internal sugestion for blocked programs;for example the sugessted action should be based 50% on comunity and 50% on Emisoft advice.

In such way, the average user will not be left in limbo traying to guess what is the best thing to do....

Thanks,

Claudiu

"The laddie dost protest too much, methinks".

I have been using Mamutu for approximately three weeks on a Windows 7 64bit rig with lots of third-party apps, my own little scripts and batch files. For me, Mamutu has been VERY "active" and informative. And, using, as an example, the quality of some of the posts, questions and comments here, is it really wise to rely on "community" assessments in making security decisions?

Good to hear that Mamutu is working well for you, and also welcome to the forum.

By the way I don't know if you noticed, but the posts before yours were posted 9 months ago :)

Good to hear that Mamutu is working well for you, and also welcome to the forum.

By the way I don't know if you noticed, but the posts before yours were posted 9 months ago :)

Thanks for the welcome. And, yes, I did notice. But, old or new, when I'm looking for good info, nonsense rankles me.

Now, a question for you: Which post would you prefer be the last? ;)

Kind regards.

Hi Lynx,

Sorry I did not post it before:

Software:XP sp3, AntiVir Premium , Kerio 2.15 ( utorrent, peerblock, Accronis 10, etc)

Hardware:P4 3.2Ghz, 1G ram, DLink router

As I said, MAMUTU is a very nice program ( that's why I bought a 2 year license) , very well done, with an exceptional GUI, but doesn't block anything because either AntiVir or Kerio will do it first

I spent a lot of time traying to force MAMUTU to react somehow, the only reaction was for common programs and even then NO SUGESTION FROM COMUNITY....( is hard to believe I am the only one on this planet using Roxio Creator...)

I will try it again let's say in one year , when maybe a large enough comunity will be behind this program.

Meanwhile would be nice if Emisoft can "compensate" the lack of comunity with an internal sugestion for blocked programs;for example the sugessted action should be based 50% on comunity and 50% on Emisoft advice.

In such way, the average user will not be left in limbo traying to guess what is the best thing to do....

Thanks,

Claudiu

I've not used etc. must have a lite footprint.

Thanks..

Jude