Steve1209

New Online Scanner Question?

Hi All,

Not sure if this is the place to ask a question about the NEW Online scanner email I received today but I know Lynx or one of the other moderators will advise me or move the question.

I tried the online scanner, first I want to say I'm very disappointed it only works with IE, I've been using Google Chrome for a very long time now, I'm sure others use other browsers, to only support IE is somewhat narrow minded in this day & age. OK I got that off my chest...

My question is, there were two very large downloads when I tried it, it worked fine, were those files saved on my computer? I ask because I have EAM free installed already but I just wanted to try the new online scanner function. I will most likely only use EAM free because I have it installed already.

Thanks for any info,

Steve

Hi Steve

1st there should not be “advices” for moving the request

This is new free product & you placed the massage into the Free section

– so that fit perfectly ;)

Then from the announcement:

Sometimes you need to quickly scan a computer for Malware infection but do not want to spend time downloading and installing a scanner program.

...The alternative MalAware Scanner is available for Firefox and Chrome users free of charge.

So, basically you can always use MalAaware, which is scanning only currently active processes though

I am not using IE at all except very special occasions, but I tested it on XP .

The software did not run at first.

The session would hang and the attempt to end it will lead to the message that IE is "...not responding...” offering to go to the home page or trying to restore a previous session.

The only way I found was – switching IE to “Compatibility Mode” in order to install

Only after that there was anticipated a question about installing needed ActiveX and ~25MB were downloaded & then another substantial one

substantialdownload.th.png that took ages here with fast broadband connection

Therefore currently lightweight MalAware with its “one.something” MB download is the way to go if you are using browsers other than IE

At the same time after all was downloaded & set

– this scanner will start fast;

- it provides you with more options and flexibility than MalAware …

and interestingly enough you don't need “Compatibility Mode” mentioned above anymore in order to start the scan

Cheers!

*** ~whole quote without particular comments was removed {Lynx}

Back again have you seen this?

The latest Emsisoft news.

Free Online Scanner for your Homepage:

Emsisoft Web Malware Scan

Emsisoft Web Malware Scan

Sometimes you need to quickly scan a computer for Malware infection but do not want to spend time downloading and installing a scanner program. We have the optimum solution for this situation:

The Emsisoft Web Malware Scan can be conveniently started from within a browser while still providing the full performance of our Dual-Scan engine with over five million signatures - this capability is unique worldwide. Including Quarantine and Cleaning features.

An ActiveX module allows the free Online Virus Scanner to be used on all Windows computers that have Internet Explorer installed.

The alternative MalAware Scanner is available for Firefox and Chrome users free of charge.

* Full-featured Dual Engine Scanner for all types of Viruses, Trojans, Bots, Spyware, etc.

* Detected infections can be Quarantined or Cleaned.

* Can be integrated into your Homepage free of charge - just as easily as with YouTube videos (see "Embed" button).

* Uses the prize-winning Emsisoft scanner technology.

Curious? - Start an Emsisoft Web Malware Scan!

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/...ign=news101004

Jude

Hi Jude,

I edited your post please use "Forum Posting Rules"

Then, that is the Service we were talking about here & all users got a notification by e-mail

Any clue why you posted the excerpt from that one? :unsure:

What is with the link you provided? It does not work

Here is the link to the Service

Below is a result of the Quick Scan test performed

webscanquick.th.png which is absolutely correct according to my environment

My regards

Hey Lynx.

I got it to run fine using IE8 and accepting the Active X install. Like I said, it's unfortunate that it doesn't support FF or Chrome (I use Chrome 100%).

I of course have EAM installed and it works just fine, so the Online scanner is OK for people who use IE and have a connection to receive two very large downloads and don't want to install EAM or EEK for whatever reason.

Thanks for the support as always man,

Steve