JeremyNicoll

Unexpected BB alert for Firefox component

W8.1, 64bit machine, EIS 2017.4.1.7484

I just woke my machine up; as usual when I do that it did an immediate update - that occurred at 06:55 (as you can see from the update log).   I did a few other things then started Firefox, and to my amazement was presented with a BB alert box for Firefox (or at least its updater component, I think).  Why would I get such an alert?   I clicked the down-arrow on the alert box and there was no information.  Why not?    Later I checked the update really had occurred a decent amount of time before FF was started - yes, 13 minutes. And I looked at the BB log too - which also shows to me what looks like a problem - it seems to say the automatic rule for the FF updater daemon (assuming that's what this is) was deleted and added many times in the last couple of days - surely that's not right either?

See:  screenshot of alert box with empty details area: https://www.dropbox.com/s/f7lrflx6ma9r702/20170521 0708 01 (screenshot).jpg?dl=0

recent part of update log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tkpgxtpzurc1m6v/20170521 0708 02 Update log - Update_170521-071950.txt?dl=0

recent part of BB log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gr9qeghdxdhxlmy/20170521 0708 03 BB log - BB_170521-071403.txt?dl=0

On 5/21/2017 at 2:33 AM, JeremyNicoll said:

... to my amazement was presented with a BB alert box for Firefox (or at least its updater component, I think).  Why would I get such an alert?

It's possible that the file was moved after it was executed, and thus the path that EIS had for it was no longer correct. This would have prevented reading the digital signature, as well as prevented hashing the file to verify its safety with the Anti-Malware Network. This would also explain why there was no information in the alert dialog.

On 5/21/2017 at 2:33 AM, JeremyNicoll said:

And I looked at the BB log too - which also shows to me what looks like a problem - it seems to say the automatic rule for the FF updater daemon (assuming that's what this is) was deleted and added many times in the last couple of days - surely that's not right eithe

The rule would be deleted if the file no longer existed. It's possible that Firefox is moving the file before executing it and then deleting or moving it back when done, or perhaps that there was a failed update attempt and Firefox keeps trying to redownload the file.

Hmm.  I just looked at the BB log again.   The repeated rule delete/add behaviour has stopped.  Also the updater.exe file just doesn't doesn't exist any longer.  So I whatever the cause was, it's cleared itself.

Was the issue resolved after a reboot? Or perhaps were you holding off on allowing Firefox to update until later?

OK. I suspect that it was a glitch in Firefox's updater, however we have never been able to collect enough information about this issue to be certain. It's rare, and we can never get enough information about it to be certain of what is going on.