Chiehkai

EIS Blocks Network

I'm having a similar issue here. When I have the firewall enabled I won't be able to connect to any of my network drives within the same LAN.

However, I've discovered if I open "Manage networks" under the firewall tab and change the second item's Category to from "Public Network" to "Private Network" it connects successfully again.

Would this change cause any side-effects?

I'm running version 7484

123.jpg
Download Image

It's not normal to run a machine on a private (or trusted) LAN with EIS configured as a Public network.  The whole point of telling EIS that you're using a public network is that you're saying you're on an unsafe network, so you'd expect not to have easy access to/from other devices there.

The decision really depends on how much you trust ALL the other users of the LAN.  If it's only you, or your family, then Private is probably fine.  If you have no idea what other users are doing (as is true for me - I trust my flatmate but I'm less sure of his friends) then configure the firewall as if you're on a Public LAN ... but then you have to learn how to set up firewall rules to allow very specific things to be done when you need that.

On 5/22/2017 at 0:11 AM, Chiehkai said:

When I have the firewall enabled I won't be able to connect to any of my network drives within the same LAN.

However, I've discovered if I open "Manage networks" under the firewall tab and change the second item's Category to from "Public Network" to "Private Network" it connects successfully again.

This is expected behavior. The ports for Windows Networking should never be open when connected to a "Public" network (such as through a mobile broadband connection or a public WiFi hotspot), as doing so would be a major security risk.

On 5/22/2017 at 0:11 AM, Chiehkai said:

Would this change cause any side-effects?

Changing your network to "Private" will reduce the level of security. If you connect to the Internet through a router or a modem that has NAT (Network Address Translation), then there shouldn't be any problem with this, as the router/modem will prevent outside access to sensitive ports (unless they have been forwarded in the NAT configuration).

If you connect to the Internet without the protection or a router/modem that has NAT then configuring your network for "Private" would be a major security risk.