eric cartman

VLC Media Player: Fehlalarm?

I happened to notice this.  I just tried the same thing in VLC 2.2.5.1.   Does the exploit-blocker take into account the version of VLC one is running?

Yes, this alert occurs due to the way VLC creates its subtitles directory. To avoid this alert you can create that folder manually and then run VLC. You'll find that you can then download subtitles without problems.

Create the following folder: C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\vlc\lua\extensions\userdata\vlsub

Elise, thank-you, that worked.  Back to my question though, does the exploit blocker pay attention to which version of a program is to be blocked?

Guten Tag, 

Da wir uns im deutschen Support Forum befinden hier noch eine Übersetzung von Elsie's Erklärung :

Sie sagt, dass die Warnung durch die Art und Weise ausgelöst wird, wie vlc seinen Unterordner für Untertitel erstellt. Die Warnung wird nicht mehr angezeigt, wenn der Ordner einmal erstellt ist. 

Von daher würde ich empfehlen den Ordner  C:\Users\<benutzername >\AppData\Roaming\vlc\lua\extensions\userdata\vlsub von Hand zu erstellen. 

Mit freundlichen Grüßen 

Kathrin 

Jeremy, no, the exploit protection only looks at the behavior and whether that is suspicious or not.

Elise: so, it's not the creation of that sub-folder by some version of VLC that's suspicious, but the way in which that is attempted?  Is that because that (API or whatever) can be used to issue other commands, and/or EIS doesn't see what the command involved is?

Without going into details, no not the fact that VLC creates this subfolder is suspicious (this is normal and a lot of programs create subfolders for a variety of legitimate reasons). However VLC uses a method to implement this that is considered suspicious because real exploitation might use similar code. This does not mean that the API for example could be used to issue other commands, you just wouldn't expect VLC to use this particular script to accomplish the task (if anything I'd call it sloppy coding/implementation).