iondjp

Does EIS Scan Browser Certificates?

Does EIS Scan Browser Certificates or scan Trusted Authorities that appear in my browse certificate manager?

In other words, how do I know that the Certificates, the Servers, and the Authorities that appear in the list are legitimate and trustworthy?

I ask because I noticed by accident that the list of Authorities in Mozilla exceeds 91. Some of them I recognize, such as Thawte and Verisign, but there are several others and some are in foreign languages.

Furthermore, under the Others Tab there are a number of other Certificates under The USERTRUST Network with strange names like Bogus GMail, Bogus Skype, Bogus Google. When I try to remove these, they just reappear. However that maybe because my Windows User Account is set to Standard User.

1 hour ago, iondjp said:

Does EIS Scan Browser Certificates or scan Trusted Authorities that appear in my browse certificate manager?

No, it does not.

1 hour ago, iondjp said:

In other words, how do I know that the Certificates, the Servers, and the Authorities that appear in the list are legitimate and trustworthy?

The company that makes the web browser manages which Certificate Authorities are considered legitimate. The Certificate Authorities then handle validation of certificates that they have sold.

1 hour ago, iondjp said:

I ask because I noticed by accident that the list of Authorities in Mozilla exceeds 91. Some of them I recognize, such as Thawte and Verisign, but there are several others and some are in foreign languages.

That is normal. There are a lot of certificate authorities, and not just in North America. If you visit a website based in Germany or Russia, and that website wants to use a secure connection, then your web browser will need to know what Certificate Authority it needs to contact to validate the certificate the website is using.

1 hour ago, iondjp said:

Furthermore, under the Others Tab there are a number of other Certificates under The USERTRUST Network with strange names like Bogus GMail, Bogus Skype, Bogus Google. When I try to remove these, they just reappear. However that maybe because my Windows User Account is set to Standard User.

That's possible, however I am not personally familiar enough with how Firefox (or other Mozilla browsers) handles certificates to be able to say for certain. You may need to ask about that on the Mozilla forums to get a proper answer as to how that particular feature works.