HAWKI

RE: "New in 2017.5: Anti-Ransomware"

Recommended Posts

I was/am confused about this. Is this just a change to the GUI meant to highlight EMIS's already excellent behavior blocker's outstanding ability to effectively block ransomeware? Or is the change something more?

 

I can understand if it is a marketing strategy. I'm sure Emsisoft is sick and tired of other security products boasting about their anti-ransomware components, when in fact, EMIS/EAM have one of, if not the best, ransomware blocking capabilites available in an an anti-malware program or security suite.

A little "blowing your own horn" and merited self-recognition, if that is what it is, is fine by me :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HAWKI said:

Is this just a change to the GUI meant to highlight EMIS's already excellent behavior blocker's outstanding ability to effectively block ransomeware?

That is essentially correct. ;)

You'll note that if you turn it off, it turns the Behavior Blocker off as well, since the Behavior Blocker provides the protection against ransomware.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GT500 said:

That is essentially correct. ;)

You'll note that if you turn it off, it turns the Behavior Blocker off as well, since the Behavior Blocker provides the protection against ransomware.

Got It GT :-)

Thanks for the clarification.

Confusion was seeded by the original notice that referred to a "projection layer" as opposed to a "protection layer."  The latest email I got refers now to a "protection layer." Whatever you call it and wherever you guys put it, I'm just happy that it's there :-)

Also good to know that it can be turned off -- so that I won't do that by accident. HAWKI has lots of accidents.

BUT -- I don't see how you "turn off ransomware protection." I know how to NOT turn off the behavior blocker, but I do not see a method of turning off ransomware protection other than by turning off the behavior blocker.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, HAWKI said:

I don't see how you "turn off ransomware protection." I know how to NOT turn off the behavior blocker, but I do not see a method of turning off ransomware protection other than by turning off the behavior blocker.

You can turn it on and off the same way that you turn the Behavior Blocker on and off (they're the same thing).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/1/2017 at 9:10 PM, GT500 said:

You can turn it on and off the same way that you turn the Behavior Blocker on and off (they're the same thing).

Right -- I meant to say that you can only turn off anti-ransomware by going to the Behaior Blocking setting and turning that off - a difference w/o a difference.

Just a question of symentecs -- oOoPs --  symantics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.