HoggyDog

"A Major Problem - EIS Can't Connect to Service"

When I power on, the screens stays black with a frozen mouse cursor for a long time (30 seconds or more) then Windows finally begins to load and eventually reaches desktop. Meanwhile, the HDD light is blinking and running nonstop for no apparent reason.

Then, when I launch Firefox, I get an Emsisoft Internet Security error- see attached screenshot.

So now I'm completely unprotected and don't know why or what to do about it.

EIS-FatalStartupError.png
Download Image

Please try the following, and let me know if that helps:

1. Uninstall Emsisoft Internet Security.
  2. Restart your computer twice.
  3. Download and reinstall Emsisoft Internet Security from this link.

If the above doesn't help, then lets get a log from FRST, and see if it shows the cause of the issue. Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) from one of the following links, and save it to your Desktop (please note that some web browsers will automatically save all downloads in your Downloads folder, so in those cases please move the download to your desktop):

For 32-bit (x86) editions of Windows:

For 64-bit (x64) editions of Windows:

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your computer. If you are not sure which version applies to your computer, then download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your computer, and that will be the right version.

1. Run the FRST download that works on your computer (for Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8 please right-click on the file and select Run as administrator).

2. When the tool opens click Yes for the disclaimer in order to continue using FRST.

3. Press the Scan button.

4. When the scan is done, it will save a log as a Text Document named FRST in the same place the tool was run from (if you had saved FRST on your desktop, then the FRST log will be saved there).

5. Please attach the FRST log file to a reply using the More Reply Options button to the lower-right of where you type in your reply to access the attachment controls.

6. The first time the FRST tool is run it saves another log (a Text Document named Addition - also located in the same place as the FRST tool was run from). Please also attach that log file along with the FRST log file to your reply.

Uninstallation, reboot x 2 then new download and installation of EIS seemed to work last night... although the download link you provided did not work at all - no download started and the page was blank with no way for me to jump-start the download - but just now when I started my machine for the first time today it went to a black screen with inert mouse pointer for 1:25 and did not go to the desktop until after I pressed Ctrl+Alt+Del. 5 minutes later I got the same "Serious problem prevents EIS from contacting the servicer" or whatever, and my EIS icon is blacked out- EIS is not running.

Farbar logs attached.

FRST.txt

Addition.txt

Same or similar problem here.  Had to try four times to finally get my pc to bootup. and even then Emsisoft Internet Seucity was not working.  Once I finally booted up I could not use Firefox to search this forum.  Had to switch to IE to post this.  I had to completely uninstall and reinstall EMS about 6-8 months ago after a similar problem, hope I do not have to go thru all that again!

Acadia

Same problem here. I can't even uninstall Emsisoft. The uninstaller just hangs at the beginning.

Nevermind, after 5 minutes it did something.

Edited by dannoe
Edit

@Acadia and Dannoe:

I think it has something to do with the recent update to version 17.5 or whatever it's called. I was not having any problems until that update was installed. I finally got the download link that GT500 posted (above) to work, and was able to install that version. Also, when I tried to uninstall EIS per GT500's instructions, the uninstaller just hung, for ten minutes, with the progress bar not moving at all. The only way I got it to do anything was to use Ctrl+Alt+Del and end-task on the uninstaller, then reboot to Safe Mode and uninstall again. So something is seriously wrong with the EIS uninstaller as well as with the launcher.

The same thing happened yesterday when I uninstalled then reinstalled from the the normal release on the download page- it installed fine and worked fine until I turned my computer off and then turned it back on this morning, at which point it went straight to black screen and stayed there with the HDD light continuously flickering.

@GT500: I ran EEK and MBAM and neither of them found any problems. Now I'm very reluctant to turn my computer off for fear the same scary boot-failure sequence will happen for the third time when I turn it back on.

Yep same issue here, It installs fine, but upon reboot I just get the message Emisoft Protection is waiting for a component(service) to start, then after a few minutes I get the same messages as whats posted above.

Pat

Well I tried to disable the firewall and reboot, Got the same issue. I just yesterday upgraded to the internet security from the regular anti-mailware. I for have resorted back to the regular anti-malware to fix this problem, unfortunately my license expires for this product in a day. Hopefully there is a fix by then. :)  Been with you guys for 5 years and so far I have been virus free. You guys are great.

Pat

Is anyone here willing to send us debug logs for this issue? If so, please download the following ZIP archive and open it:
http://cdn.emsisoft.com/Emsisoft_Debug_Tool.zip

Inside the ZIP archive is a batch file. Simply double-click on the batch file, and follow these steps:

1. If a popup asks about the Windows Command Processor please click Yes to allow it.
  2. A blue window with white text will appear, and you should see a menu.
  3. Click inside the blue window, and then press 1 on your keyboard, and then press Enter.
  4. You will be told that debug logs have been turned on, and to restart your computer. Press Enter again to continue.
  5. Press Enter a third time to exit the batch file.
  6. Restart your computer (if using Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 please right-click on the Start button, go to Shut down or sign out, and select Restart rather than using the normal restart option).
  7. After your computer has restarted, wait until you see the error message about not being able to connect to the service, and then close it.
  8. After closing the error message, hold down the Windows key on your keyboard (the one with the Windows logo on it, usually found between the Ctrl and Alt keys) and tap R to open the Run dialog.
  9. Type (or copy and paste) %AllUsersProfile%\Emsisoft\Logs into the field, and click OK.
  10. Click on one of the files in the folder that opens, and then hold down the Ctrl key and tap the A key to highlight all of the files.
  11. Right-click on one of the files, go to Send to, and select Compressed (zipped) folder to add the files to a ZIP archive.
  12. A new ZIP archive will have been created in that folder (you can move it to your Desktop to make it easier to find). Please attach that ZIP archive to a reply, or send it to me in a Private Message.

The controls for attaching files to messages are right below where you type in your message.

• Upvote 1

I just tried to do what you said, got as far as restarting and then it booted up fine and works. Tried restarting again and it worked with no error messages. Dunno if you still need the logs or not?

Pat

I'm guessing it will come back. For me, if debug logging is enabled the problem does not occur on startup. With debug logging disabled, it takes a few minutes for the Windows logon screen to appear (seems to be frozen, but just wait 2-3 long minutes) and EIS does not start properly. To workaround, I wait for Windows to startup, then kill the a2service.exe process, and then EIS either restarts on its own or I start it manually; after, it seems to function fine. As debug logging shouldn't stay on for long periods of time, I turn it off while working, then turn it back on before shutting down. I've been able to repeat this reliably quite a few times (especially when I forget to turn on logging before shutting down).

I have submitted this information to support.

Edit: to give credit where it's due, I got the idea of killing a2service.exe from this topic. I also see the difference in memory usage (around 44mb when hung, around 260mb when running).

(Win7 Pro x64)

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, GT500 said:

Is anyone here willing to send us debug logs for this issue? If so, please download the following ZIP archive and open it

An excerpt of my Windows Error Logs pertaining to the Emsisoft Internet Security errors is contianed in my Farbar logs.

12 minutes ago, T-RHex said:

I'm guessing it will come back. I discovered that if debug logging is enabled the problem does not occur on startup. With debug logging disabled, it takes a few minutes for the Windows logon screen to appear (seems to be frozen, but just wait 2-3 long minutes) and EIS does not start properly. To workaround, I wait for Windows to startup, then kill the a2service.exe process, and then EIS either restarts on its own or I start it manually; after, it seems to function fine. As debug logging shouldn't stay on for long periods of time, I turn it off while working, then turn it back on before shutting down. I've been able to repeat this reliably quite a few times (especially when I forget to turn on logging before shutting down).

I have submitted this information to support.

(Win7 x64)

Does the still problem happen if you disable Emsisoft self protection in settings?

Does anyone want to try a potential fix for this problem? If so, then please contact me via Private Message, and I will reply with instructions.

13 hours ago, GT500 said:

Does anyone want to try a potential fix for this problem? If so, then please contact me via Private Message, and I will reply with instructions.

I'd be happy to give it a try.  I really don't wont to uninstall, reinstall.

Bruce

21 hours ago, Acadia said:

See my post in the other forum following this problem.

Thanks, Acadia

What "other forum?" A link would've been helpful, or at least the name of the thread.

seems this problem is not just mine....I am wondering if this is a conflict with the Windows updates during the last mass attacks on all of us. I get the same screen. I already unistalled then reinstalled...it worked but then other things didn't so I had to unistall and reinstall other things...after rebooting...EMSISOFT didn't work.

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 9:08 AM, HoggyDog said:

What "other forum?" A link would've been helpful, or at least the name of the thread.

Sorry about that HoggyDog, you are right; I should have posted the link.  By the way, both my wife and I LOVE your Avatar, bassets are one of our favorites.

Tunedport64's post concerning the Window's updates made me realize that I don't believe I mentioned my system: still using Windows 7.  I did Window's updates manually a couple of weeks ago, need to keep better logs.

Thanks everyone, Acadia

I just started to do what GT500 said to do to send zip files...when I went to reboot EMSISOFT was up and running. I didn't need to complete what was asked of us. It just seems that when Microsoft did the update they created a virus to us EMSISOFT users. Windows defaulted to Windows Defender and interfered with several apps including NEAT scanner which still won't work with just about every fix try non the planet...it is a shame for sure.

As of this morniing, June 5, 2017, I have had two days of trouble-free power-on bootups wherein EIS correctly and promptly initializes, updates its database and goes quiet- exactly as it should.

I don't know if it's because I finally got the EIS download link that GT500 posted several days ago to actually work (assuming that was a new build where the issue was addressed) or what, but whatever the cause, it works now so as far as I'm concerned this is solved. Thanks to all who contributed.

1 hour ago, Acadia said:

By the way, both my wife and I LOVE your Avatar, bassets are one of our favorites.

Our beautiful boy Frodo D. Frabulous passed away 2 years ago and not a day goes by that we don't miss him.

We named him Frodo because, like his namesake, he was short, had huge, hairy feet and was always hungry, prowling around in a zig-zag path, nose to the ground, ears dragging, hoovering up the fascinating scents from the floor, hoping for something to eat. Watching him negotiate an 8-inch snowfall was truly hilarious- he looked like a semi-submerged submarine whooshing around with only his C-curved, white-tipped periscope-tail showing. Every time a siren goes by in the distance without Frodo's mournful baying at it ("AroooooOOOOOoooooOOOO, AAARRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOooooooo....") I get a tear in my eye. I miss him so much. ❤

And now, back to your regularly scheduled program. Sorry.

GT500 fix worked for me. I guess you have to send him a message to get instructions for the fix. I think this is just a temp fix. Also as others have said, enabling logging from the above post 

fixes is too. Hopefully they are working on a permanent fix for this and will update the this thread along with the other ones when they do.

Also the pain with GT500's fix or at least for me is I had to startup in safemode to get that file in the directory, otherwise it was easy.

Pat

I turned on debugging and yes for me this worked as well. The program started and it downloaded all updates automatically. So I will leave it on untill there's a permanent fix

OK...so the fix is to turn ON the debugging...right???

PER GT500's post: (scroll up till you nall see it in it's entirerty)

If a popup asks about the Windows Command Processor please click Yes to allow it.

A blue window with white text will appear, and you should see a menu.

Click inside the blue window, and then press 1 on your keyboard, and then press Enter.

You will be told that debug logs have been turned on, and to restart your computer. Press Enter again to continue.

So if this is the fix...why is it temp? or are posters hoping for another kind of fix...I am confused. it has workd for me and seems like others on this post as well.

I don't think they want people who want to try it out or purchase it to install it, then it freezes and does not load at all after a reboot. Most users will just uninstall it and go elsewhere. I doubt they will search for some sort of fix and find themselves here learning that in order for them to run this, they will have to open some 1998 dos window to enable logging.

Pat

Modern Windows Operating Systems do not do DOS.  DOS died with Windows 98/ME.  All NT Kernal-based systems implement a Command Console, which is nothing more than a Command Shell.

It is not DOS, it is a command shell.  There is not a single MSDOS program that will run on modern versions of Windows without having a DOS emulator installed.  Linux/BSD/Unix and MacOS also have a shell command for changing directories.  The Command Console (Shell) exists on all operating systems regardless of the OS flavor.  It is there for a reason.  The Shell exists for running scripts and commands with switches and options that nearly all UI's do not support. 

Well either way, if having a product where users has to run a cmd prompt in order to get their computer to stop freezing is not a good product. I think you missed my point in that original post.

Also what do you consider modern versions of windows? is windows 10 or win 7 32 bit version not modern? 

Pat

I apologize for those who had to wait for a day or two for the instructions on how to try the fix. I spent most of my Monday trying to come up with a better way to do it, and was never able to.

I think we'll have a beta available soon for those who want to wait for it. Once that's available, I can post some easy instructions here with a link to a batch file that installs the beta for you. ;)

21 hours ago, pat562 said:

Well either way, if having a product where users has to run a cmd prompt in order to get their computer to stop freezing is not a good product. I think you missed my point in that original post.

Also what do you consider modern versions of windows? is windows 10 or win 7 32 bit version not modern? 

Pat

You missed the point of having a Command Shell, it exists for the very reason we have users use the CMD prompt.  Not every problem is solved by a reboot and asking users to uninstall the product and reinstall it every time something breaks for unknown reasons is a worse solution.

Modern = Windows XP and newer.  That should not have to be said.

1 hour ago, Kevin Zoll said:

You missed the point of having a Command Shell, it exists for the very reason we have users use the CMD prompt.  Not every problem is solved by a reboot and asking users to uninstall the product and reinstall it every time something breaks for unknown reasons is a worse solution.

Modern = Windows XP and newer.  That should not have to be said.

lol

Just tried the beta, and all seems good. I had been using GT500 fix, but when I went to turn on the beta, that box was empty, so I uninstalled and re installed the program, switched to the enable beta updates, then I updated it. Restarted and all seems fine now.

My question is when can I turn off the beta updates and just use stable? When the permanent fix is released for this bug?

Pat

3 hours ago, pat562 said:

My question is when can I turn off the beta updates and just use stable? When the permanent fix is released for this bug?

Hopefully we'll have a stable update soon, and you'll be able to switch back to the Stable update feed then. If anyone wants to keep an eye on our changeblog for when the stable update is released, then here's the link:
http://changeblog.emsisoft.com/

For those who would like to try the beta that's currently available, here's how to install it:

1. Open Emsisoft Internet Security.
  2. Click on Settings in the menu at the top.
  3. Click on Updates in the menu at the top.
  4. On the left, under Update Settings, click on the box to the right of Update feed and select Beta from the list.
  5. Click on the Update now button on the right side.

If you can't open Emsisoft Internet Security, then you may need to start your computer in Safe Mode With NetworkingHere's a link to instructions on how to do that.

The only thing I am confused of now is what is the best thing to do? 
I turned debugging on and it seems to work, is that all I have to do (is this the permanent fix allready)? Or do I have to turn it off again at some point? And will the software update automatically with a permanent fix for this?

The problem was fixed after switch to beta channel , however it takes a couple minutes for the windows logon screen to appear and little bit delay for windows startup too. Any idea to speed up ?

10 hours ago, ymchen said:

The problem was fixed after switch to beta channel , however it takes a couple minutes for the windows logon screen to appear and little bit delay for windows startup too. Any idea to speed up ?

Hi Ymchen, 

I believe Emsisoft will be releasing a new 'final' build shortly... The main point of a beta release is to get a fix out quickly and hopefully address the main issue with little to no side effects but often they can be side effects as it's been released so fast and why it's released as a beta (not final release)... which gives users such as yourself the opportunity to report any side effects or associated issues as you have done which Emsisoft will check into...

Once they have it all sorted they will release a stable build for the masses :-)

Just give it a day or two as they are generally very good at getting updates like this out as soon as they possibly can and I"m sure they have many members working on getting a stable release out ASAP!

All the best!

On 6/7/2017 at 2:50 AM, jjfoto said:

The only thing I am confused of now is what is the best thing to do? 
I turned debugging on and it seems to work, is that all I have to do (is this the permanent fix allready)? Or do I have to turn it off again at some point? And will the software update automatically with a permanent fix for this?

Debug logging eats up many gigabytes of hard drive space. It also automatically gets turned off after 7 days. I highly recommend installing the beta until we can get a stable update ready, that way you don't suddenly start having the problem again in a few days.

18 hours ago, ymchen said:

That wasn't fixed with the beta? I'll try to remember to check that out later tonight and see if I have the same issue (please remind me if I don't reply within 24 hours and let you know what I found).

Ok, thanx. So I understand it continually/continuously logs as I am working with my pc and that's why it will eat up space in the process of it?. Can I delete the logs? Which directory?