Akmatov

Emsisoft and Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool

In my OS rebuild when I had Win7 install all 187 Windows Updates I would get a Desktop with no ToolBar and no Desktop Icons for programs and the Desktop Image was about half normal size.  Prior to the Windows Updates Win7 behaved normally. After ANOTHER OS install, I installed the Windows Updates in small batches and was able to identify the tainted Update that was trashing my system, it is Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool.  I did a Restore and then Updated everything except WMSRT and all seems well.

Question: Is there any need to have Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool if I have Emsisoft running?

On 6/4/2017 at 4:00 PM, Akmatov said:

Question: Is there any need to have Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool if I have Emsisoft running?

Technically there shouldn't be, however it does seem rather odd that you were having trouble with it.

Regardless, the next time Microsoft updates the MRT (most likely on Patch Tuesday this month) it will more than likely be installed by Windows Updates.

On 6/5/2017 at 0:00 AM, Akmatov said:

In my OS rebuild when I had Win7 install all 187 Windows Updates I would get a Desktop with no ToolBar and no Desktop Icons for programs and the Desktop Image was about half normal size.  Prior to the Windows Updates Win7 behaved normally. After ANOTHER OS install, I installed the Windows Updates in small batches and was able to identify the tainted Update that was trashing my system, it is Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool.  I did a Restore and then Updated everything except WMSRT and all seems well.

The Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool is one of the worst standalone removal tools.

The first thing I do after installing the OS is to disable it from even being offered by Windows Updates although that's up to you.

If you want to disable it from being offered is it's useless really, simply copy/paste the below command in a blank notepad text file, then save it with any name that you want then change the extension from .txt to .reg and double click on the file to merge it with your registry. Now the tool won't be offered anymore with Windows Updates:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\MRT]
"DontOfferThroughWUAU"=dword:00000001

Put to the test for 12 months: This is how well security packages and special tools help after an attack

First comes the malware attack, then the chaos in recovering the data. But it doesn't have to be that way. In an endurance test, AV-TEST discovered which security packages and special tools really help. Here are the results of the 15 good and mediocre applications.

S6Ecu55.png

16 hours ago, Phoenix said:

The Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool is one of the worst standalone removal tools.

The first thing I do after installing the OS is to disable it from even being offered by Windows Updates although that's up to you.

As much as I tend to dislike defending Microsoft, please keep in mind that Microsoft did wipe out the Koobface worm with their Malicious Software Removal Tool. Keep in mind that it is not intended to act as an anti-virus software, or as a stand-alone removal tool capable of completely cleaning a system. Comparing it to such tools is pointless, since the Malicious Software Removal Tool will fail the test by design. It isn't even the baseline protection offered by Microsoft against malicious software (which is the role filled by Windows Defender and Microsoft Security Essentials). It's just a tool intended to remove particularly wide-spread infections that anti-virus vendors are struggling to contain (such as the Koobface worm, which at the time was wreaking havoc with Facebook users' computers).

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, GT500 said:

As much as I tend to dislike defending Microsoft, please keep in mind that Microsoft did wipe out the Koobface worm with their Malicious Software Removal Tool. Keep in mind that it is not intended to act as an anti-virus software, or as a stand-alone removal tool capable of completely cleaning a system. Comparing it to such tools is pointless, since the Malicious Software Removal Tool will fail the test by design. It isn't even the baseline protection offered by Microsoft against malicious software (which is the role filled by Windows Defender and Microsoft Security Essentials). It's just a tool intended to remove particularly wide-spread infections that anti-virus vendors are struggling to contain (such as the Koobface worm, which at the time was wreaking havoc with Facebook users' computers).

I see, I didn't know that. All I know is that I never needed to use it personally which is why I said it's up to the user whether to keep it or not but it's good that it can be of some use at least.

22 hours ago, Phoenix said:

All I know is that I never needed to use it personally ...

That's understandable since it's usually run automatically, and doesn't require any user interaction. ;)