BillH

automatic updates stopped working

A couple days ago I received a one year license for EmsiSoft for upgrading my SyncBackSE.  I entered the license code I received into the copy of EmsiSoft that I already had installed on my computer which I was trialing.  All seemed to go well.  The program now shows I am licensed for a year.

However, automatic updates have stopped working.  None have run since I entered the license information on June 8th.  Today I looked and EmsiSoft said my program was up to date and it had been a day since my last update (I ran a manual update yesterday).  So I ran another manual update today and it did find updates.  The log shows things being updated.

Why did it say I was up to date when I wasn't?  Why did an automatic update not run? They had run quite often prior to entering the license info without any problems.

On another note, my scheduled scan also stopped working at the same time.  Thinking maybe I could fix it, I deleted my scheduled scan and recreated it.  So, I don't know if it is still not working or not... I'll find out tomorrow.

Any ideas what might be going on?

Thanks,

Bill

image1.jpg
Download Image

image2.jpg
Download Image

image3.jpg
Download Image

image4.jpg
Download Image

Can you check under - Settings - Updates if "Update the software and ... " is checked ? And also check if "Every" or "Once a  day" is selected, and (last one) if "Dont run automatic updates in Game Mode" is selected..

"Update the software and detection patterns automatically" is checked and set for every one hour between 12:00 AM and 11:59 PM.  

These are the settings I had before I entered the license code.  Nothing was changed other than entering the license code and now auto updating isn't working.  Also I checked this morning and my scheduled scans are not working either.  Both auto updating and scheduled scans were working fine until I entered the license code.

Any ideas what might be the problem?

Thanks,
Bill

I'm sorry to hear that. Lets wait until someone who is in the know sheds his/her light on this.

Only one other thing I can think of, is the time and date on your PC correct ?

Yes, the time and date are correct.  it is really strange.  Maybe tomorrow I'll try uninstalling and re-installing it to see if that helps.

Thanks,
Bill

OK... very strange.  I re-booted my machine this morning and now auto updates and schedules scans are working.  I was going to uninstall and install to try and fix the problem, but now I don't have to.

Today was the first time I re-booted since entering my license key.  I guess re-booting is a requirement although I didn't see in the instructions that it was required.

Thanks,
Bill

On 6/12/2017 at 11:50 AM, BillH said:

Today was the first time I re-booted since entering my license key.  I guess re-booting is a requirement although I didn't see in the instructions that it was required.

That's interesting. Normally rebooting shouldn't be required (although admittedly in the software world rebooting can fix a lot of odd little issues). If it happens again, then lets try getting a diagnostic log. You can find the instructions and download at this link.

When it's done, it will open a log in Notepad (as explained in the instructions). Please save this log somewhere easy to find, such as on your Desktop or in your Documents folder, and then send it to me in a Private Message so that I can take a look at it.

Important: Don't post the log publicly. It contains a copy of your a2settings.ini file, which contains encrypted license information. If someone were to figure out how to break that encryption, then someone else could use your license key.