bighendo

Cant Install KB2958399 hotfix for windows 7 pro

Recommended Posts

Hi.   Ive had to rebuild my pc and upon reinstalling windows 7 pro and doing all the updates i cant install the hotfix KB2958399 that you need to get emsisoft to work with windows 7.   Ive done this many times in the past and never had an issue but now it says the update is not applicable.   I tried searching for the update and its not installed and the installer of eis detects that the prerequisite is missing and you still get the bsod event after rebooting after installtion. any tips cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well this has effectively made my 5 internet security licenses useless if there is no fix for this because i don't use windows 10 only windows 7. i rebuilt the pc again and had the same issue with the patch and eis makes the pc crash with out it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used this method as a workaround in the past:

Immediately after installing Windows 7 install KB2958399, instead of installing it after running Windows Update and applying all the updates.

If installation of KB2958399 succeeds, then update Windows.

Afterwards, install Emsisoft.

I always double-checked to make sure that I grabbed the version with the correct bitness.  The Microsoft download page for the KB will detect a user's browser bitness and should show the correct version.  There are three:  x86, x64 and ia64.  However, just because the download link shows x64, doesn't necessarily mean what is downloaded is actually x64.  I have seen SillySoft get their wires crossed.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2017 at 3:26 AM, bighendo said:

... i cant install the hotfix KB2958399 ... now it says the update is not applicable.

I would believe there's a newer update that supersedes the required update (KB2958399), however I am not certain what the KB number of the newer update is. Windows is essentially telling you that the update is not applicable to your system because you already have a newer version of the files that the update modifies than what the update would install, and thus it would actually be a downgrade.

In this case, the KB2958399 shouldn't be needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks hjlbx.   I guess I will try to install the update after a fresh os install offline then and see if that works, that was my next guess but have a bunch of stuff reinstalled on this now, thinking support here would have a bright idea and I wouldn't have to reinstall windows 3 times to get my virus software to work!   But as stands after 5 years with emsisoft on 5 + pc's and multiple devices for my self and countless other recommendations to people,  I wont be renewing with the current support for this issue..   It always erked me that if I forgot to download the none standard patch after setting up a new pc,  it would go to the boot loop and hang issue if I was putting this on a windows 7 box for people, but the product and support out weighed the inconvenience.   but right now I have to go even further out of my way to install this software by the looks of things,  on what is still the best "microsoft update supported" available windows operating system, don't try to force me to use windows 10.   you guys really need to come together with Microsoft to get your product to work out of the box. because if you put all your eggs in one basket getting your software to work for just windows 10, I'm afraid I got bad news for you guys.    they are always making another piece of crap os version to out do the last and they use it for years while they fix the next piece of crap they release.     I miss online armor and the old virus software you guys had.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, bighendo said:

Thanks hjlbx.   I guess I will try to install the update after a fresh os install offline then and see if that works, that was my next guess but have a bunch of stuff reinstalled on this now, thinking support here would have a bright idea and I wouldn't have to reinstall windows 3 times to get my virus software to work!   But as stands after 5 years with emsisoft on 5 + pc's and multiple devices for my self and countless other recommendations to people,  I wont be renewing with the current support for this issue..   It always erked me that if I forgot to download the none standard patch after setting up a new pc,  it would go to the boot loop and hang issue if I was putting this on a windows 7 box for people, but the product and support out weighed the inconvenience.   but right now I have to go even further out of my way to install this software by the looks of things,  on what is still the best "microsoft update supported" available windows operating system, don't try to force me to use windows 10.   you guys really need to come together with Microsoft to get your product to work out of the box. because if you put all your eggs in one basket getting your software to work for just windows 10, I'm afraid I got bad news for you guys.    they are always making another piece of crap os version to out do the last and they use it for years while they fix the next piece of crap they release.     I miss online armor and the old virus software you guys had.

I know you are upset, and I feel your frustration.  However, switching to a different security solution will probably make you happy only for a short time.  That is until you experience other problems with a different solution and find yourself in similar or worse circumstances.  And then you will find that other vendors do not provide support of the same caliber as Emsisoft.

You said "EIS makes the PCs crash ?"  Do you mean BSOD on all 5 systems ?

If there is a BSOD, then you can send the memory dump to support.  They will analyze the dump to identify what is actually causing the BSOD.

I suggest that you ask GT500 about it.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, bighendo said:

... don't try to force me to use windows 10.

We're not. I don't use Windows 10, and a significant portion of our team also does not use it. Microsoft doesn't discontinue support for Windows 7 until 2020, and I don't expect that we'll need to discontinue support for it before that.

 

19 hours ago, bighendo said:

you guys really need to come together with Microsoft to get your product to work out of the box.

Microsoft doesn't work with us, and it's doubtful they ever will.

As for our products working out of the box, they do, with the exception of EIS and a bug in Windows 7 that Microsoft decided not to put the patch for it on Windows Update. As I said above, I'm fairly certain that patch has been superseded by a newer one that is actually on Windows Update (which is why you get the "this update does not apply to your system" message when you try to install the hotfix).

 

19 hours ago, bighendo said:

because if you put all your eggs in one basket getting your software to work for just windows 10, I'm afraid I got bad news for you guys.

We do not do this, and the only conditions under which we would ever consider doing this would be if (by some dark twist of fate) Windows 10 were the only version of Windows still being used by our customers.

 

18 hours ago, hjlbx said:

You said "EIS makes the PCs crash ?"  Do you mean BSOD on all 5 systems ?

If there is a BSOD, then you can send the memory dump to support.  They will analyze the dump to identify what is actually causing the BSOD.

There is a bug in how Windows 7 handles open sockets that can cause a BSoD if a connection is closed (such as by a firewall) and a program that had that connection open continues to try to use it. Google Chrome was particularly bad about triggering the BSoD, and the KB2958399 hotfix was intended to fix this (although Microsoft never put this hotfix on Windows Update since at the time they though it was only related to their SQL server products). This hotfix was superseded by a newer update, and computers where KB2958399 was not already installed are now unable to install it if they have all updates from Windows Update installed.

Note that we have not (to my knowledge) been receiving crash reports from computers where KB2958399 could not be installed, so there should no longer be a need for this hotfix if all updates on Windows Update have been installed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, GT500 said:

Note that we have not (to my knowledge) been receiving crash reports from computers where KB2958399 could not be installed, so there should no longer be a need for this hotfix if all updates on Windows Update have been installed.

What I am suggesting to the OP is that crashes might be due to something else; he is attributing the crashes to EIS without knowing what is actually causing the crash.

Until someone looks at a dump, the cause of any crash is speculation.

Anyway, my intent is not to get in the middle of your support so I will end it here.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

have you tried to install EIS on windows 7 pro your self to see if your product still works, Ive seen other posts in this forum about this issue that have had the same response from you, unresolved. that the update has been superseded and it should work, but it doesn't.   the pc works fine up until you install eis, eis detects that the patch is not installed and if you go ahead and install it any way on the pretense that you say its installed via the update site now, then  you reboot the pc and it crashes don't know what else to say.   your software tells me to install it, it cant be installed and the software doesn't work no matter how many times you say it should with out it now.   I guess I'll try Microsoft see if they can tell me why your stuff don't work any more.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bighendo said:

have you tried to install EIS on windows 7 pro your self to see if your product still works

None of my Windows 7 virtual machines have the hotfix installed, and they do not crash when I install EIS.

 

5 hours ago, bighendo said:

Ive seen other posts in this forum about this issue that have had the same response from you, unresolved.

I am not aware of any case where this has come up and the user was actually having crashing issues.

 

5 hours ago, bighendo said:

the pc works fine up until you install eis, eis detects that the patch is not installed and if you go ahead and install it any way on the pretense that you say its installed via the update site now, then  you reboot the pc and it crashes don't know what else to say.

Would it be possible to send us the MEMORY.DMP file (usually in C:\Windows) from a computer that is having this crash?

You can compress it with 7-Zip to make it smaller. After installing 7-Zip, right-click on the MEMORY.DMP file, go to 7-Zip, select Add to archive, make sure that the Archive format is set to 7z, set the Compression level to Ultra, and set the Compression method to LZMA2 to get the smallest file size. Then just save the 7z compressed file on your Desktop or somewhere easy to find, and if you were able to get it small enough then you can attach it to a reply.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.