gman

Cannot Create bin64\epp.sys

Hello,

First mention, Thanks for the use of the freeware. I find your program efficient at the task.

A personal prefrence mention simply appreciate if all software developers would complete the setup prgram file propertise "details", with the install file or program file version information. It allows for a user to more easily make reference and feedback to problematic pograms, especialy when they can not be installed to retrive that information.

I had the pior version wohout any difficuties but that was on Windows 8.1. after upgrad to Windows 10 reinstalled the upgraded version 2017.4.0.7437.

I have the same problem mentioned in this thread title. Did everthing resomened and more with the same results. Including all temp files, running SFC, CHKDSK, DISM Renamed instal file, ran 5 other virus scanner files and a online scaner. deleted and downloaded file again. Not familar with the reported error so not knowing if it is a program or system error. The suggested solution here adds not clarity for possible solutions. Have not tied to install in Safe Mode not believeing it would help solve the issue.

I somewhat vague as to whether this could be considered a portable program and thinking not, then under impression it is a stand alone. Which is what lead me to upgrade and not try to run the prior version. As portable virus detection programs usualy require to be upgraded (defintions) in order to work. The point is I probably would not be able to locate the prior version download again to install and make a comparision if its a Widnows or program problem.

Surprised that there is not more feedback here on this program issue. Which leads me to think it's a system problem not experienced by many others.

15 hours ago, gman said:

A personal prefrence mention simply appreciate if all software developers would complete the setup prgram file propertise "details", with the install file or program file version information. It allows for a user to more easily make reference and feedback to problematic pograms, especialy when they can not be installed to retrive that information.

I'm fairly certain we normally do that, however the current version available for download is missing the version number in the file details,  so I have mentioned that to our management.

15 hours ago, gman said:

I have the same problem mentioned in this thread title. Did everthing resomened and more with the same results. Including all temp files, running SFC, CHKDSK, DISM Renamed instal file, ran 5 other virus scanner files and a online scaner. deleted and downloaded file again. Not familar with the reported error so not knowing if it is a program or system error. The suggested solution here adds not clarity for possible solutions. Have not tied to install in Safe Mode not believeing it would help solve the issue.

The "installer" in the case of EEK is actually just a self-extracting RAR archive. You can try extracting it to a folder of your choosing with WinRar, 7-Zip, or anything else that supports RAR archives.

The reason that there's not much information about this issue is simply because it doesn't happen very often. It can be caused by a corrupted download, filesystem issues, security software (anti-virus, firewall, HIPS, etc), permissions issues, or anything else that could cause a program like WinRar to fail at writing a file to a folder. You've already run CHKDSK, so filesystem issues are more than likely not the cause, however if you haven't already deleted the folder that you are attempting to extract EEK to then you may want to try that as well.

15 hours ago, gman said:

I somewhat vague as to whether this could be considered a portable program and thinking not, then under impression it is a stand alone.

A "portable" program is simply one that can be copied from one folder/storage device/computer to another without needing to reinstall it. EEK doesn't need to be installed to begin with (the files just get extracted to the folder you select), so no reinstall is needed if you copy it. You can even run it from a USB flash drive if you so desire. As long as it has full read/write access to the folder it's running from, then EEK doesn't really care where it is.

15 hours ago, gman said:

As portable virus detection programs usualy require to be upgraded (defintions) in order to work.

EEK does not require definitions to be updated before scanning, however it is more effective if you update its definitions before doing so. We expect that there are cases where someone will need to update it on one computer and then move it to a computer without Internet access in order to scan, so we don't want to make it difficult for them to do that.