Warning when block rule applied in 7838

Hey Pete,

Such warnings have been here the since ages and none ever complained.
EAM/EIS just tells windows to block a process from executing and this warning is what windows makes of it, we  do not control that.

that would be funny....:P

It is obvious that such apprules are added by experienced users, so when such waning shows up, they exactly know what caused it.

I can't recall a support request from confused users related to this windows warning.

I think you'll also get people who act on advice (elsewhere perhaps) and set up such a rule.  If you're not going to produce a message of your own that's accurate, then the next best thing would be to describe this misleading message in the documentation, as a consequence of a total block rule.  And preferably also mention it within the application when someone creates such a rule.

Now that 7838 is in the Stable feed, I tried this.  The message I get when (a non MS) application is blocked is slightly different:

<the-program's-full-filepath>

Operation did not complete successfully because the file contains a virus or potentially unwanted software.

Has the message text been changed from that described above (in which case, thank-you, I think it is better), or is my message (under W8.1) being produced for a slightly different reason?

As discussed elsewhere I note that the block is not logged at all; I hope that does get changed.

Hi,

message text been changed from that described above (in which case, thank-you, I think it is better), or is my message (under W8.1) being produced for a slightly different reason?

As explained earlier, we do not control this windows messagebox. You run W8.1  and this might be the reason for a slightly different wording.

We already planned to add  a logrecord to the forensic log in a future release.

Glad I found this thread... I had all of these things on my mind when I first tried it out.

I was honestly, just more happy that it was blocked correctly, I didn't really mind how I was notified.

When I blocked a program that came from the Explorer taskbar, it told me the link had been removed
and asked me if I wanted to delete the item.  Which is fine... its just detecting that the program is no
longer available as it once was.

In Windows 7 (32-bit) when I block mspaint.exe like stapp did, I do get a different Windows error message.

Mine is....

C:\Windows\System32\mspaint.exe  

The parameter is incorrect

Which I still think is fine.

If we start adding EIS Alerts to everything that was blocked, it might start to become intrusive.

I will admit, in the past, I've probably set a block and forgotten about it, but I eventually remembered i'd set it
and remembered this type of behavior.