Volchara

Video files not opening since 2017.7 update

Relevant Info
-Emsisoft Internet Security 2017.7
-Windows 7 SP1 64 bit

Issue
Since the 2017.7 update was applied, attempting to launch .mkv video files via Media Player Classic Home Cinema, does not work and consistently crashes on startup of the program, resulting in the attached error message.

Excluding the program from monitoring allows the program to function normally, but this wasn't a needed permission prior to the update. 

The fault module name displayed in the error message alternates between: a2hooks64.dll, kernell32.dll and KERNELBASE.dll

MPHC crash.png
Download Image

• Like 1

Would it be possible to follow the instructions at this link to enable automatic memory dumps when applications crash, and then restart your computer and try Media Player Classic again? After enabling automatic memory dumps, a memory dump for mpc-hc64.exe should be in the following location:

C:\Users\Public\CrashDumps

If you don't have something like 7-Zip or WinRAR then you can right-click on the file, go to Send to, and select Compressed (zipped) folder to ZIP the crash dump so that you can attach it to a reply. If you do have something like 7-Zip or WinRAR, then note that we can open most archive formats (7z, RAR, ZIP, etc), so you can use whatever you prefer.

Thank you. We've confirmed that it is related to a recent Behavior Blocker update, and our developers are working on resolving the issue.

A quick workaround, if you'd like to try it, would be to exclude the mpc-hc64.exe file in Emsisoft Internet Security. Here are instructions on excluding a process from scanning and monitoring:

1. Open Emsisoft Internet Security.
  2. Click on Settings in the menu at the top.
  3. Click on Exclusions in the menu at the top.
  4. To the right of the list to Exclude from scanning, click on the Add file button.
  5. Navigate to the file you would like to exclude, click on it once to select it, and then click Open.
  6. To the right of the list to Exclude from monitoring, click on the Add file button.
  7. Navigate to the file you would like to exclude, click on it once to select it, and then click Open.
  8. Close Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

Note: If a program you have excluded is running, then you will need to close it and reopen it for the exclusion to take effect. In some cases you will need to restart your computer before this will happen.

I assume the file in question is in a folder such as one of the following:

C:\Program Files\Media Player Classic
C:\Program Files (x86)\Media Player Classic

• Like 1

Hi guys,

Thanks for this thread. I found it when I started having the same issue. I couldn't figure it out until I read the system event files and saw the crash was linked to Emsisoft.

Adding it to the exclusions allows it to play files without crashing.

Jo

On 8/4/2017 at 6:11 PM, GT500 said:

Thank you. We've confirmed that it is related to a recent Behavior Blocker update, and our developers are working on resolving the issue.

Just a reminder. Issue with MPC-HC has not been resolved yet. Is this issue still on to-do list or will we have to set permanent exclusion?

As far as I know it will be fixed in a future update. For now the exclusions are still going to be necessary, however we hope that it won't be too much longer until we have a beta available to try and see if the changes that are going to be made will help.

Nope, we haven't forgotten. We just want to make sure that the update is stable before we release it. ;)

I thought this was fixed in 2918.3 or 2018.4. Are exclusions for MPC-HC still resolving the issue?

Hello GT500,

excluding mpc-hc still works like a charm. Is it possible that a missing patch from Windows Update could cause this problem? I did not have those telemetry updates for W7 installed.

Similar thing happend on the same PC only in W10 Pro 32bit without any update installed. After updating to 1803 the problem is gone and the exlusion is not needed anymore.

I will post some crashdumps later when I am on W7 again.

Martin

18 hours ago, Martin Suchy said:

Is it possible that a missing patch from Windows Update could cause this problem? I did not have those telemetry updates for W7 installed.

I don't think so. As far as I know the issue was never dependent on specific Windows Updates.

17 hours ago, Martin Suchy said:

Crashdump is attached.

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit

EAM 2018.5.0.8686

OK, thanks. I'll ask someone to take a look at it.

It doesn't look like this is something that will be easy for us to fix. We made a lot of changes under the hood in version 2018.3 and 2018.4, and while we hoped those would help with this issue it looks like they didn't resolve it. It's still possible that we may be able to resolve it in the future, however for now exclusions will have to be used to work around the problem.