Raul90

Unhappy with Emsisoft Internet Security merge with EAM

You guys did it before when you got rid of Online Armor...

Now you are doing it again with Emsisoft Internet Security....you really are getting out of the firewall business huh....Previously you said that, 

Are software firewalls useless? 
http://blog.emsisoft.com/2014/09/19/whats-the-point-of-having-a-firewall/

"Emsisoft Internet Security adds a software firewall component to the proven technology of Emsisoft Anti-Malware, which means it can protect you from malware AND keep you invisible to network intruders. This makes it a perfect fit for home users and small businesses, who frequently travel beyond their home network and who want something simple-yet-intelligent that will keep their information secure, no matter where they go.
Have a great (firewalled) day!"

Now you are abandoning all your loyal users to the default Windows Firewall....

Have a great Windows Firewall -default allow-day!!!!

4 hours ago, Raul90 said:

You guys did it before when you got rid of Online Armor...

Now you are doing it again with Emsisoft Internet Security....you really are getting out of the firewall business huh....Previously you said that, 

Are software firewalls useless? 
http://blog.emsisoft.com/2014/09/19/whats-the-point-of-having-a-firewall/

Now you are abandoning all your loyal users to the default Windows Firewall....

Have a great Windows Firewall -default allow-day!!!!

What he said. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Come and listen:

"...New Coke was the unofficial name for the reformulation of Coca-Cola introduced in April 1985 by the Coca-Cola Company to replace the original formula of its flagship soft drink, Coca-Cola (also called Coke)....

However, the American public's reaction to the change was negative, even hostile, and the new cola was a major failure. The subsequent, rapid reintroduction of Coke's original formula, rebranded "Coca-Cola Classic" and put back into market within three months of New Coke's debut, resulted in a significant gain in sales..."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Coke

Emsisoft Firewall vs Windows Firewall

When Microsoft introduced the Windows Firewall in a late Windows XP Service Pack update, it was a bit of an embarrassing performance and the software could not be taken too seriously, which led us to build a stronger alternative. But with the release of Windows 7, the Windows Firewall started to do its job much more effectively, and the latest Windows 10 version pretty much does everything you could expect from a desktop firewall. Its only architectural flaw is that its settings (and firewall rules) can be freely edited by anyone or anything that attains the required permission level. In other words, if malware manages to run on the PC, it’s able to allow itself to get through the firewall. That was one of the main reasons for us to maintain our own firewall component.

You may have missed this one at MalwareTips.com,

The BB always has blocked suspicious outgoing connections. Even before the firewall was in the picture. That isn't going to change.

The hardening or fortifying feature is something else though and has nothing to do with allowing or blocking outgoing or incoming connections. The biggest drawback of the Windows firewall is that Microsoft intended applications to interact with it. So any application (including malware) can just add rules for itself to the firewall so it allows the application's traffic to pass through. The new feature stops that and gives you control over which applications are allowed to mess with your firewall settings and which aren't.

-- I think Emsisoft should have explained it more especially the new feature they are talking about there. They also should show howto set that up and not just with the Beta testers. 

2 hours ago, onbox said:

That was one of the main reasons for us to maintain our own firewall component.

And I did liked that because I myself did not like Windows Firewall I have to get something extra to make it perform to my liking. Good thing Binisoft is there. But it's all history now. 

I am most displeased with this evolution of events.

I really feel a bit short-changed, because only a couple weeks ago I purchased 2 years with EIS, because
it has been improving so well, and has FINALLY reached a state, where I can call it a stable build.

I think its really quite unfair to make such a decision like this, without even consulting this community,
you had to of known there would be a backlash from this decision.

You might "consider" yourself only in the anti-malware business, but I think most people are less interested in
the malware protection, half as much as the features this software offers.

people don't just want malware protection, they like EIS because it is the "whole" package.

I have you know, I've never trusted the Windows firewall, I find it cumbersome, and like all Windows default settings
allows just about everything under the sun.

I don't care if Windows Firewall is the last program in existance... i will _never_ use it.

One reason why I left Emsisoft Internet Security for a brief period, was because I felt I was wasting too much of my own
personal time, giving bug fixes, and was just spending too much time in general trying to resolve the stability of the
product....  and apart from all of the great features EIS offers, another main reason why I purchased 2 more years
protection, was because I was no longer using up my large portions of my free time.  and the time I was giving, i felt
happy to, because EIS has reached a state I am content with.

This decision you have made, completely reverses my state of contentment with this product.

For the past week i've been bleeding my heart and brains out, saying i want MORE features, and MORE control...
and now you want to rip out a core feature that I use "daily".

by removing EIS, in so many words you are saying that my time is not valuable, because that is what I will be losing over this.

10 hours ago, HAWKI said:

Come and listen:

"...New Coke was the unofficial name for the reformulation of Coca-Cola introduced in April 1985 by the Coca-Cola Company to replace the original formula of its flagship soft drink, Coca-Cola (also called Coke)....

However, the American public's reaction to the change was negative, even hostile, and the new cola was a major failure. The subsequent, rapid reintroduction of Coke's original formula, rebranded "Coca-Cola Classic" and put back into market within three months of New Coke's debut, resulted in a significant gain in sales..."

EAM is actually significantly more popular than EIS, so it might be more accurate to compare EIS to New Coke, and EAM to Coca-Cola Classic.

Obviously there are going to be those (such as yourselves) who are not happy with the announcement. That's always the case when there are major changes to product lines. Once we get the code for EIS pulled from the codebase that EAM is built from, and everyone gets settled in with a new solution for managing network connections (either a Windows Firewall manager or another third-party firewall), hopefully everyone will see the improvements to EAM and feel that this change really was for the better.

38 minutes ago, iWarren said:

I really feel a bit short-changed, because only a couple weeks ago I purchased 2 years with EIS...

That's why we decided to give everyone a 50% extension to their EIS license keys once the automatic conversion to EAM happens. We hope that while some will be sad to see EIS go, that everyone will still feel like they were given a fair deal.

38 minutes ago, iWarren said:

... you had to of known there would be a backlash from this decision

You're right, we did expect that. No matter how good or bad a decision may be, there is always a certain amount of backlash from those effected by the decision. Hopefully in the coming months we will have the opportunity to show everyone that it was the right decision.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, GT500 said:

You're right, we did expect that. No matter how good or bad a decision may be, there is always a certain amount of backlash from those effected by the decision.

people don't mind change, when its "good" change. 

like changing from Online Armor to v10, that was a change... but we all stuck around, because it was still going in a good direction.

i sincerely feel this decision makes absolutely no sense... the firewall is already in place, and working.... and the problems associated with it,
at its current stage of development, are a lot fewer than when it first started.

I talk to people all of the time about Windows 10, and one of the most frequent things I hear about why they don't upgrade to it, is because they do not
trust Microsoft, due its embedded spyware.  

So why then should any of us feel inclined to 'trust' Windows firewall... especially when its default setup, allows some undesirable connection preferences.

We might have to use Microsoft's infrastructure, but at least with Emsisoft, we had the choice to circumvent the Windows firewall.

This whole arrangement just seems like a bizarre step backwards, considering it seemed like it was working quite successfully.
Its almost like it worked "too well", that someone out there.... maybe just doesn't want us to have decent security.

1 hour ago, GT500 said:

That's why we decided to give everyone a 50% extension to their EIS license keys once the automatic conversion to EAM happens. We hope that while some will be sad to see EIS go, that everyone will still feel like they were given a fair deal.

I don't want an extention.... I want the "already created and completed" firewall that currently exists.

just stop updating/supporting, it if you have to... but don't remove it.

• Upvote 1

I want the "already created and completed" firewall that currently exists.
just stop updating/supporting, it if you have to... but don't remove it.

I get where you're coming from, but unfortunately, it's not that easy. Software today isn't like a house that you build once and then don't need to touch for ages to keep it functioning. Creating software is an ongoing process. Especially security software and firewalling requires continuous effort to be put into it. Without it, the next Windows update could crash it and we would be the ones to blame again.

We prefer to spend our precious development time on things that have a bright future, and not waste it on artificially holding onto things that are doomed on the long run anyway. That's why we made the rather hard decision to merge our two leading products within a short time.

The 50% license period extension is the best we can do, sorry. Alternatively you can always ask for a refund of your paid money for the remaining period and go with a product from a different vendor.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Guest Tempus

Hi

I have been with Emsisoft for 5 years. I was sad when online Armor was discontinued, but I understood their reasoning.  Emsisoft still has my full trust, and as a smaller firm in a hard competitive environment with a lot of free AV- SOLUTIONS, you always have to do a cost benefit analysis. The windows firewall has for me, always been to easy for malware to mess with, but i trust Emsisoft to get a solid grip around the windows firewall. And so far they have been able to deliver  solid products,  in my opinion. 
My concern is that we will see more behavior pop ups, as it will go against what they have strived to developed lately, a more  user friendly behavior blocker.

Personally I will test Emsisoft new merged software, and from there I will make my decision....

Best regards

Tempus...... ( Oh i forgot to say that I think that the new initiative from Emsisoft will give them a more competitive price tag....just a thought )

16 hours ago, Tempus said:

My concern is that we will see more behavior pop ups, as it will go against what they have strived to developed lately, a more  user friendly behavior blocker.

That might be the case if you have the Behavior Blocker in Emsisoft Anti-Malware configured to show alerts instead of "auto resolve with notification", however I don't expect a significant increase in alerts due to this change since most applications don't need to create Windows Firewall exceptions.

• Upvote 1

Hi i really are happy whith this desicion because i have a long long licence of emsisoft. I always like more antimalware than EIS, for me is very expensive and the firewall very "discrect", no alerts, no nothing, for me that Firewall was a bad try. I ask emsi support to changue my licence from EIS to EAM and viceversa from EAM to EIS because the desicion is very dificult to me. Some day i think "Emsi firewall maybe are great and i dont see it" and another times i think "this does not exists and does not do nothing" Include i have a desesperation when i try to install EIS on windows 7 and i dont have the KBXXXXXX update because microsoft servers down. MS haves long time whith their FW maybe they are doing something good. I have 4 years licence i will have 6 years licence of emsi. For me great.

Hello

We want EIS

This is not good idea (Merging Emsisoft Internet Security with Emsisoft Anti-Malware)

please don't remove the firewall

Hi

We want EIS 

please Don't remove this product 

No one Trust windows firewall and it's complicated to work 

at least ask for your loyal users to vote about this 

if you remove firewall from your product its no difference from other free antivirus solution  

you'll lose a lot  customers 

I hope you listen to  us

• Like 1

Here is a consideration.... you said less people are interested in the firewall to make it worth your while.

There are still people here who consider it valuable, so instead of taking a loss.... take a profit.

You want to make your time worth your while.... we sincerely want to pay you what you are worth.

Offer the EIS product at a higher price... you might not have to focus on it entirely, many of us, would rather
keep a half maintained product, than a product that does not exist.

Meet us half way.

means, you would not be on the losing end, and giving away product at 50%, but keeping the people who

adore your current product.... and want to keep what we have alive.

If the firewall software is removed, my current project might not come to fruition,
because i will be focused on learning new security.

I currently took a huge loss, on some neural products, because i sincerely believe i have the capability
to make something of it.... lol I'm already taking a loss in another manner... but that does not matter to me,

I just want to say that... your current firewall solution is in so many ways right.

I critique it hard, and give troubleshoot... not because i don't like it, but because i want to help "improve" it.

Emsisoft, is an amazing company.... but i feel, its because of its diversity... that makes it even better still...

I develop software... i know exactly how hard it is, and it is 100x harder to create, than it is to destroy.
If you fold now.... on the firewall end of things, you are saying, you give in to Malware....

and, Emisoft, gives in, to nobody.
You can take a break.... but you can never give in.

If I had more money, i'd invest in you, but I am but a simple man. lol so all I can do, is say nice words.

and in another world, nice words.... mean much more than profit.

If the developer needs to take a vacation.... any one of us, would wait a month, for your return.... and deal with any
security issue that arrises amidst.... meanwhile, let the work... that stands, stand for its-self.

The test of a good salesman, is to turn a disadvantage, into an advantage....

Instead of cutting the firewall out, put it at a higher price....

so that the ones of us, who truly love this service.... can enjoy the quality of it.

Thank you.

I don't want to change anyones mind, or persuade anyone to make a decision they don't truly believe in.

but when I consider Emsisoft, and its functionality.... well, lol

to be honest, i thought v9 was perfect regarding functionality.... maybe the window load time was a bit long,
due to the application rules screen refreshing.

but that sort of thing is understandable.

i truly consider Emsisoft Internet Suite,
to be a perfect setup...

which why this news has come to me... it is not perceived well.

i respect the developers of this program 1000%, and everyone here, would rather have this program existing and working....
than to have it not about...

honestly, i would tell everyone in the world about emsisoft, lol and to use this specific product,
but the problem is.... you tell someone what security software works... and people start attacking it.

so i kind of liked its anononymity.... lol i was always told that security in obscurity is not security... but
i still kind of took to it. lol

anyways, you have already made your terms clear, and what is done is done... however, there is a new way out...
call it a new program.... Emsisoft Firewall.... profit is profit.... you don't have to go the extra mile, because what exists
is already there... and you have at least one supporter (me).

as long as profit is rolling in, even if its on older software... that is money in the bank.
perhaps not your style... but we want, what we want... and we need... what we need.

and if there is a real issue, you would be alerted, to our needs.

I'm actually happy that EAM gets a fortifying feature for windows firewall. All our customers are using EAM and will benefit from this merge. 

But I understand the fans that really loved EIS. I also used it but i understand the choice made by Emsisoft. I'm really curious for the beta....

Many users are using a router today which is a great help. I used to tell everyone that I knew to get a router.

Guess we have to wait and see how things work out. I have EIS on three computers and McAfee on a new Dell. Don't feel

like I have much control with McAfee.

Time will tell !

On 8/12/2017 at 5:20 PM, iWarren said:

You want to make your time worth your while.... we sincerely want to pay you what you are worth.

Offer the EIS product at a higher price...

When you raise prices, you also decrease your customer base. Considering the fact that there is very little advantage in EIS over EAM (people usually connect to the Internet through routers these days), most people currently using EIS would more than likely switch to EAM or even to another Internet Security solution in order to save money.

Regardless, money isn't the only reason for the switch. Maintaining the firewall components of EIS takes a ton of development time away from the rest of the product's features, and reduces our developers' response time on bug reports. The extra time our developers have to spend fixing bugs in the firewall is also time taken away from fixing bugs in the rest of the software, and makes it take longer in general for bugs to get fixed. This essentially reduces the quality of both EAM and EIS just for the sake of keeping the firewall around.

On 8/12/2017 at 5:32 PM, iWarren said:

If the developer needs to take a vacation.... any one of us, would wait a month, for your return....

Don't worry, I'm the only one around here who doesn't take vacations. Most of our team (developers included) take vacations when needed. ;)

As mentioned I am unhappy with the decision BUT it's all final now so nothing's gonna change that or "us" who don't agree of the change. For those people who came to love EIS (especially those who are not into setting up a firewall like the average officeworker or office staff, or a grandma etc) will definitely consider looking some place else or swallow the bitter-pill of getting/trying to make it work with the Windows firewall. Emsisoft says, "less error in setting up  ---or something like that" but it actually is "more settings to be done" to compensate for the loss of the firewall module. Less is only for Emsisoft (as they will not think anymore of firewalls per se) and not the user (especially those that are not very well versed with setting up a firewall, like the persons given as example there in my previous statement). The burden is on the user, not Emsisoft. Chances are they will be looking for a suite that's an "install and leave" because, "are not very well versed with setting up a firewall".

A lot of us came to like EIS (though I feel there's something more to be done about the firewall logs --more information). It's not hard to set-up plus the default setting with the in-built rules for the user to actually adapt is user friendly. But the burden has been passed-on to the user now and we will be all left without that firewall module we came to love in exchange for additional/extension of the license. So the question now is a week or two after the final change...to stay or not to stay...that is the question. 

If Emsisoft's goal is to reach that lower-end crowd who is the "install/leave-kind" (just as I remember when it discontinued Online Armor and shifted to EIS) then this direction isn't for them because of the additional burden/work to achieve the same level o security. You are actually making them to re-think and see what else is out there. Online Armor was labeled as "geek-only" (learned to use it after some months/year of checking it out), but the new EAM user (especially the crowd that I am mentioning) will need a geek to teach them setting-up the Windows firewall, get something else or get something to augment/strengthen EAM) to have that same level of security that EIS has provided. 

So goes the question (a week or two after the final change)...to stay or not to stay...that is the question. 

Guest Tempus

Hi

I admit it , I am a Fanboy of Emsisoft, but nothing is set in stone.  I have chosen to have a laid back attitude and see how the new product will behave when it's released. I will take my decisions based on the product and how it will behave on my system and try to put my concerns away for now , instead of guessing, but I do understand your concerns.  (btw I did loved Online Armor very much, but that's history now)

Best regards

Tempus

18 minutes ago, Tempus said:

but I do understand your concerns.

The concerns are:

1) I am unhappy with the direction taken (but it's all done now). Just voicing out my unhappines and concern for the other users. 

2) It has been stated there in my last reply. Am concerned about those people I mentioned especially those that are not very well versed with setting up a firewall, like the persons given as example there in my previous statement -- the average officeworker or office staff, or a grandma etc --the non-techy people). The burden is on the user(them), not Emsisoft. Not all Emsisoft users are geek or techy. I know a lot who have just learned to use EIS because it's just a little amount of effort to set up it's firewall module. Even my old boss is happy with it and doesn't want to change security app believing (still) that it will not push through (sorry to her). It maybe that you are a "techy" because you loved Online Armor because it will take a lot from you setting it correctly/making it run in the leanest possible setting to not bother your everyday work but other people are not like you/us. 

I like emsisoft but i dont like some points of their vision. and some inconsistences in their discourse.First of all i have to say i agree whith this desision but i have some point who want they take in count.

Principally i think  is bad  dont take the user in count. Maybe a litle public survey previous to that desision make me feel i count, but no, they decide and nobody ask to us, and we are the user finally. 

Second I like have no bloated software but i think emsisoft team are inconsistent most users says "Dont put all your eggs in one basket" but as i can see emsi says "dont use another softwares because we dont guarantee compatibility". 

For example Adguard works well and nobody sees any issue but nobody guarantee compatibility.

Include emsi says they dont guarantee EAM works whith another firewall diferent of Windows, they say their feature to reforce windows firewall only works whith windows.

How can we make a custom security config if nobody help us to customise.

And answers like "If you dont like emsi search another providor like this are bad, You trap more flies whith honey. In another companies they say "Dont leave us and we give partial 50% refunds but stay"

On 10/8/2017 at 9:34 PM, Christian Mairoll said:

The 50% license period extension is the best we can do, sorry. Alternatively you can always ask for a refund of your paid money for the remaining period and go with a product from a different vendor.

Do not take me bad I love emsi and like their company vision i try you go well, and i belive in constructive criticism.

Try to educate  us to show us what we need and what features we dont need and what add ons we can add and what we can nor.

For example i use now NVT and Winantirasom, i like Winantirasom and stop using NVT i have too Winprivacy or winpatrol firewall i know that programs have some functions similar to emsi and another diferents but i think 4 eyes works better than 2.

I use adguard as antipishing too. I think emsi must answer diferent. Not have to say.

I think and sorry for that, you are impositive sometimes and the users feel that whith your resent desision. 

I take my own desisions "Stay whith emsi" and use another programs while i dont see aparent conflict.

On 8/10/2017 at 7:34 PM, Christian Mairoll said:

Software today isn't like a house that you build once and then don't need to touch for ages to keep it functioning. Creating software is an ongoing process.

If it is coded correctly, software 'is' like a house, that you build it once and then don't need to touch it for ages.

Maybe if you're coding for multiple operating systems.... it might be cumbersome, keeping up with Microsofts re-gearing of architecture.
but once you have the foundation laid down... it becomes a matter of bug fixes, while some can be time consuming... eventually as it becomes
refined, you have less and less problems....

On 8/14/2017 at 3:24 PM, GT500 said:

. The extra time our developers have to spend fixing bugs in the firewall is also time taken away from fixing bugs in the rest of the software, and makes it take longer in general for bugs to get fixed.

Now consider.... that even more time will need to be taken, removing all of the code associated with the firewall,  reworking the GUI, and then... refocusing efforts on "protecting" the Windows firewall,
add to that... the time explaining to users what happened to their features... and on top of that, the finances, of potential loss of customers, and extending licenses. 
All of this time could have just been spent 'maintaining' the existing infrastructure... which already had a  decent foundation laid already.

As a developer myself, I'd rather fix a few bugs, and deal with a few intermittent support requests, than to take a step backwards.

Security is like a chain, any weakness in any one of the links, results in the compromised integrity of the chain.

I've taken a look at the Windows Firewall. I'm not a networking expert by far, but I have used computers for the better part of my life, and I found so many foreign settings in Windows Firewall,
if I ever did use it... i will literally have to school myself in Google to find out what all of the settings even mean.   If someone who is familiar with computers doesn't know what half of these settings
are..... you can be certain that your clientele who has been spoiled with over-simplification will have no idea what these settings do.

and its just common sense, that an Improperly configured setup, can be linked back to security vulnerabilities.

5 hours ago, Raul90 said:

... then this direction isn't for them because of the additional burden/work to achieve the same level o security.

To be honest, a software firewall is never going to outdo a good hardware firewall (a router properly configured, with UPnP turned off, remote access turned off, ssh and telnet turned off, etc). Traditionally the selling point for a software firewall is the extra application controls, however EIS barely had any advantage over EAM in that regard (all Behavior Blocker application controls in EIS already existed in EAM, leaving only the firewall inbound/outbound rules as extra in EIS). And Microsoft already has considerably more powerful tools for monitoring what applications are opening ports and sending/receiving data than EIS did (the build-in Resource Monitor for instance, or TCPView from Microsoft's Windows Sysinternals).

Obviously software firewalls are necessary in any situation where you are connected directly to the Internet rather than through a router (such as mobile broadband), or connected to something such as public WiFi. Since the Windows Firewall these days provides a reasonable amount of security, it only need configuration and management to be easier, and that's where some third-party utilities come in that can help manage it. 

Here's a list of some of the third-party Windows Firewall management tools I have seen recommended by people on SuperUser.com (in the order that I found them):

Of course a hardware firewall is always best, but routers/modems each have their own vulnerabilities of their own to be exploited,
and i think a good portion of router companies, rather than keep patching firmware for aging technology, focus their efforts on software for
more modernized microchips and components.

my past couple modems/routers, it seems like when it comes to port forwarding, there is always some sort of glitch.. or some little quirk.

so I sometimes have to allow a few more ports, which is why a software firewall becomes much more important to me.

as a second line of defense.

to this, you might say, that I just need to get a better router/modem, and that is one solution, but there are many people with old tech,
who just want to find a way to make it work for them.  be it through software firewall, or otherwise.

although a software firewall might be a "niche" product, the people who do use it, often are quite fond of it.

this is a perfect example of how a "pay as you go" service fails you... because it might be only a matter of time, before your favorite program
is changed to something undesirable.  Instead of just purchasing a stand-alone programs, that won't force you to change...
I can for-see Microsoft will probably alienate people much the same way..... eventually adding/subtracting features
from the system, just because they deem it useful, or non-useful.

If we have learned anything from Windows 10 vs Windows 7, it is that people don't like change forced upon them, and that they must embrace that change on their own.

18 hours ago, iWarren said:

... but routers/modems each have their own vulnerabilities of their own to be exploited ...

That's why they need to be configured to reduce possible exploit vectors. Shutting off services like UPnP, telnet, and SSH are critical to keeping a router secure. Just as critical is disable remote administration, so that no one can access the router's web panel from the Internet.

If a router does become compromised, then usually disconnecting it from the Internet, restarting it, and flashing the latest firmware to the router will resolve any issues.

Keep in mind that if your router is compromised, then a software firewall is not going to protect your computer from the changes that malicious scripts or attackers are making to your router. The router is generally your source for all IP addresses on your network, your DNS, what ports on your computers are exposed to the Internet, etc. You can't block traffic to the router without completely blocking your Internet connection, and breaking your entire network.

18 hours ago, iWarren said:

... and i think a good portion of router companies, rather than keep patching firmware for aging technology, focus their efforts on software for
more modernized microchips and components.

There are always third-party firmwares for routers. Tomato by ShibbyAdvancedTomatoDD-WRT, etc. all support a wide range of routers (new and old). Certain routers are even marketed as being compatible with DD-WRT, or open source Linux firmware packages in general.

For more advanced users there are things like OpenWRT, LEDE, Gargoyle, etc.

It's not really a merge though, is it?

EAW: improved, but without getting any of EIS's extra features, so a massive downgrade in Firewall control, not a merge

EIS: discontinued

EAW users should be happy, EIS users are essentially being told to either use other software (because "there weren't many of them EIS users anyway") or trust Microsoft's Windows Firewall and its feeble interface.

The actual merge is between EAW and Microsoft Windows Firewall, not EAM and EIS.

If you guys are so upset about the firewall let me help you.  Go to youtube and search for pfsense and you will be amazed and satisfied with emsisoft.  It is more important to concentrate on malware, crypto, ransonware etc which will bypass comodo firewall and or another home router etc.  pfSense is used by Companies around the world and it has excellent firewall software of its own plus pfblockerng, snort and all sorts of lists through iblockists, spamhaus and the lists go on an on.  This firewall is professional not like windows, comodo etc.  Emsisoft is doing the right thing with the focus on malware and ransome and I have already addressed.  Don't react like a democrat use your head setup your pfsense with an old pc or buy a server off ebay and make sure it is 64bit with AES NI capablity.  This is what I've done and it protects all my computers, blu ray players, tablets, samsung tvs.  This is what you need to setup a home network.  It is not much money pfsense is free and the server can be gotten cheap on ebay.  Let emsisoft know your're supporting them and don't throw temper tantrums like some have.

1 hour ago, Dundra said:

If you guys are so upset about the firewall let me help you.  Go to youtube and search for pfsense and you will be amazed and satisfied with emsisoft.  It is more important to concentrate on malware, crypto, ransonware etc which will bypass comodo firewall and or another home router etc.  pfSense is used by Companies around the world and it has excellent firewall software of its own plus pfblockerng, snort and all sorts of lists through iblockists, spamhaus and the lists go on an on.  This firewall is professional not like windows, comodo etc.  Emsisoft is doing the right thing with the focus on malware and ransome and I have already addressed.  Don't react like a democrat use your head setup your pfsense with an old pc or buy a server off ebay and make sure it is 64bit with AES NI capablity.  This is what I've done and it protects all my computers, blu ray players, tablets, samsung tvs.  This is what you need to setup a home network.  It is not much money pfsense is free and the server can be gotten cheap on ebay.  Let emsisoft know your're supporting them and don't throw temper tantrums like some have.

pfsense is not suited to the typical Emsisoft user.

1 hour ago, Ken1943 said:

Comes down to , I do not trust Microsoft with any kind of security.

that is why i block mspaint, because they're all after my valuable artwork.

8 hours ago, CBMman said:

It's not really a merge though, is it?

I think the term "merge" was used at least partially to make it more clear that EIS was going to automatically convert to EAM. If we just say "discontinued", then it brings up the question of what happens to EIS customers after their Internet Security suite is discontinued. There may have been some other considerations for using "merge" over "discontinued" (such as it sounding a bit nicer), however I wasn't given any specific details about that.

8 hours ago, CBMman said:

The actual merge is between EAW and Microsoft Windows Firewall, not EAM and EIS.

The Windows Firewall is going to remain separate. The only feature being added to EAM is new Behavior Blocker rules to monitor for changes to Windows FIrewall settings, and alert users if anything unknown tries to change them.

3 hours ago, iWarren said:

This looks interesting.

https://store.netgate.com/SG-1000.aspx

For that price you can get a decent router and put Tomato by Shibby/Advanced Tomato or DD-WRT on it, and have a pretty decent hardware firewall with a fairly solid default setup that's not too difficult to use.

Guest Tempus
5 hours ago, iWarren said:

that is why i block mspaint, because they're all after my valuable artwork.

oh man.... seriously  ^_^