Raul90

Unhappy with Emsisoft Internet Security merge with EAM

Raul90    1

You guys did it before when you got rid of Online Armor...

Now you are doing it again with Emsisoft Internet Security....you really are getting out of the firewall business huh....Previously you said that, 

Are software firewalls useless? 
http://blog.emsisoft.com/2014/09/19/whats-the-point-of-having-a-firewall/

"Emsisoft Internet Security adds a software firewall component to the proven technology of Emsisoft Anti-Malware, which means it can protect you from malware AND keep you invisible to network intruders. This makes it a perfect fit for home users and small businesses, who frequently travel beyond their home network and who want something simple-yet-intelligent that will keep their information secure, no matter where they go.
Have a great (firewalled) day!"

Now you are abandoning all your loyal users to the default Windows Firewall....

Have a great Windows Firewall -default allow-day!!!!

• Upvote 1

HAWKI    6
4 hours ago, Raul90 said:

You guys did it before when you got rid of Online Armor...

Now you are doing it again with Emsisoft Internet Security....you really are getting out of the firewall business huh....Previously you said that, 

Are software firewalls useless? 
http://blog.emsisoft.com/2014/09/19/whats-the-point-of-having-a-firewall/

Now you are abandoning all your loyal users to the default Windows Firewall....

Have a great Windows Firewall -default allow-day!!!!

What he said. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!

HAWKI    6

Come and listen:

"...New Coke was the unofficial name for the reformulation of Coca-Cola introduced in April 1985 by the Coca-Cola Company to replace the original formula of its flagship soft drink, Coca-Cola (also called Coke)....

However, the American public's reaction to the change was negative, even hostile, and the new cola was a major failure. The subsequent, rapid reintroduction of Coke's original formula, rebranded "Coca-Cola Classic" and put back into market within three months of New Coke's debut, resulted in a significant gain in sales..."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Coke

onbox    1

Emsisoft Firewall vs Windows Firewall

When Microsoft introduced the Windows Firewall in a late Windows XP Service Pack update, it was a bit of an embarrassing performance and the software could not be taken too seriously, which led us to build a stronger alternative. But with the release of Windows 7, the Windows Firewall started to do its job much more effectively, and the latest Windows 10 version pretty much does everything you could expect from a desktop firewall. Its only architectural flaw is that its settings (and firewall rules) can be freely edited by anyone or anything that attains the required permission level. In other words, if malware manages to run on the PC, it’s able to allow itself to get through the firewall. That was one of the main reasons for us to maintain our own firewall component.

malik4477    0

You may have missed this one at MalwareTips.com,

The BB always has blocked suspicious outgoing connections. Even before the firewall was in the picture. That isn't going to change.

The hardening or fortifying feature is something else though and has nothing to do with allowing or blocking outgoing or incoming connections. The biggest drawback of the Windows firewall is that Microsoft intended applications to interact with it. So any application (including malware) can just add rules for itself to the firewall so it allows the application's traffic to pass through. The new feature stops that and gives you control over which applications are allowed to mess with your firewall settings and which aren't.

-- I think Emsisoft should have explained it more especially the new feature they are talking about there. They also should show howto set that up and not just with the Beta testers. 

malik4477    0
2 hours ago, onbox said:

That was one of the main reasons for us to maintain our own firewall component.

And I did liked that because I myself did not like Windows Firewall I have to get something extra to make it perform to my liking. Good thing Binisoft is there. But it's all history now. 

iWarren    5

I am most displeased with this evolution of events.

I really feel a bit short-changed, because only a couple weeks ago I purchased 2 years with EIS, because
it has been improving so well, and has FINALLY reached a state, where I can call it a stable build.

I think its really quite unfair to make such a decision like this, without even consulting this community,
you had to of known there would be a backlash from this decision.

You might "consider" yourself only in the anti-malware business, but I think most people are less interested in
the malware protection, half as much as the features this software offers.

people don't just want malware protection, they like EIS because it is the "whole" package.

I have you know, I've never trusted the Windows firewall, I find it cumbersome, and like all Windows default settings
allows just about everything under the sun.

I don't care if Windows Firewall is the last program in existance... i will _never_ use it.

One reason why I left Emsisoft Internet Security for a brief period, was because I felt I was wasting too much of my own
personal time, giving bug fixes, and was just spending too much time in general trying to resolve the stability of the
product....  and apart from all of the great features EIS offers, another main reason why I purchased 2 more years
protection, was because I was no longer using up my large portions of my free time.  and the time I was giving, i felt
happy to, because EIS has reached a state I am content with.

This decision you have made, completely reverses my state of contentment with this product.

For the past week i've been bleeding my heart and brains out, saying i want MORE features, and MORE control...
and now you want to rip out a core feature that I use "daily".

by removing EIS, in so many words you are saying that my time is not valuable, because that is what I will be losing over this.

GT500    358
10 hours ago, HAWKI said:

Come and listen:

"...New Coke was the unofficial name for the reformulation of Coca-Cola introduced in April 1985 by the Coca-Cola Company to replace the original formula of its flagship soft drink, Coca-Cola (also called Coke)....

However, the American public's reaction to the change was negative, even hostile, and the new cola was a major failure. The subsequent, rapid reintroduction of Coke's original formula, rebranded "Coca-Cola Classic" and put back into market within three months of New Coke's debut, resulted in a significant gain in sales..."

EAM is actually significantly more popular than EIS, so it might be more accurate to compare EIS to New Coke, and EAM to Coca-Cola Classic.

Obviously there are going to be those (such as yourselves) who are not happy with the announcement. That's always the case when there are major changes to product lines. Once we get the code for EIS pulled from the codebase that EAM is built from, and everyone gets settled in with a new solution for managing network connections (either a Windows Firewall manager or another third-party firewall), hopefully everyone will see the improvements to EAM and feel that this change really was for the better.

38 minutes ago, iWarren said:

I really feel a bit short-changed, because only a couple weeks ago I purchased 2 years with EIS...

That's why we decided to give everyone a 50% extension to their EIS license keys once the automatic conversion to EAM happens. We hope that while some will be sad to see EIS go, that everyone will still feel like they were given a fair deal.

38 minutes ago, iWarren said:

... you had to of known there would be a backlash from this decision

You're right, we did expect that. No matter how good or bad a decision may be, there is always a certain amount of backlash from those effected by the decision. Hopefully in the coming months we will have the opportunity to show everyone that it was the right decision.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

iWarren    5
1 hour ago, GT500 said:

You're right, we did expect that. No matter how good or bad a decision may be, there is always a certain amount of backlash from those effected by the decision.

people don't mind change, when its "good" change. 

like changing from Online Armor to v10, that was a change... but we all stuck around, because it was still going in a good direction.

i sincerely feel this decision makes absolutely no sense... the firewall is already in place, and working.... and the problems associated with it,
at its current stage of development, are a lot fewer than when it first started.

I talk to people all of the time about Windows 10, and one of the most frequent things I hear about why they don't upgrade to it, is because they do not
trust Microsoft, due its embedded spyware.  

So why then should any of us feel inclined to 'trust' Windows firewall... especially when its default setup, allows some undesirable connection preferences.

We might have to use Microsoft's infrastructure, but at least with Emsisoft, we had the choice to circumvent the Windows firewall.

This whole arrangement just seems like a bizarre step backwards, considering it seemed like it was working quite successfully.
Its almost like it worked "too well", that someone out there.... maybe just doesn't want us to have decent security.

1 hour ago, GT500 said:

That's why we decided to give everyone a 50% extension to their EIS license keys once the automatic conversion to EAM happens. We hope that while some will be sad to see EIS go, that everyone will still feel like they were given a fair deal.

I don't want an extention.... I want the "already created and completed" firewall that currently exists.

just stop updating/supporting, it if you have to... but don't remove it.

I want the "already created and completed" firewall that currently exists.
just stop updating/supporting, it if you have to... but don't remove it.

I get where you're coming from, but unfortunately, it's not that easy. Software today isn't like a house that you build once and then don't need to touch for ages to keep it functioning. Creating software is an ongoing process. Especially security software and firewalling requires continuous effort to be put into it. Without it, the next Windows update could crash it and we would be the ones to blame again.

We prefer to spend our precious development time on things that have a bright future, and not waste it on artificially holding onto things that are doomed on the long run anyway. That's why we made the rather hard decision to merge our two leading products within a short time.

The 50% license period extension is the best we can do, sorry. Alternatively you can always ask for a refund of your paid money for the remaining period and go with a product from a different vendor.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Tempus    55

Hi

I have been with Emsisoft for 5 years. I was sad when online Armor was discontinued, but I understood their reasoning.  Emsisoft still has my full trust, and as a smaller firm in a hard competitive environment with a lot of free AV- SOLUTIONS, you always have to do a cost benefit analysis. The windows firewall has for me, always been to easy for malware to mess with, but i trust Emsisoft to get a solid grip around the windows firewall. And so far they have been able to deliver  solid products,  in my opinion. 
My concern is that we will see more behavior pop ups, as it will go against what they have strived to developed lately, a more  user friendly behavior blocker.

Personally I will test Emsisoft new merged software, and from there I will make my decision....

Best regards

Tempus...... ( Oh i forgot to say that I think that the new initiative from Emsisoft will give them a more competitive price tag....just a thought )

• Upvote 3

GT500    358
16 hours ago, Tempus said:

My concern is that we will see more behavior pop ups, as it will go against what they have strived to developed lately, a more  user friendly behavior blocker.

That might be the case if you have the Behavior Blocker in Emsisoft Anti-Malware configured to show alerts instead of "auto resolve with notification", however I don't expect a significant increase in alerts due to this change since most applications don't need to create Windows Firewall exceptions.

• Upvote 1

Kevinaktiff    1

Hi i really are happy whith this desicion because i have a long long licence of emsisoft. I always like more antimalware than EIS, for me is very expensive and the firewall very "discrect", no alerts, no nothing, for me that Firewall was a bad try. I ask emsi support to changue my licence from EIS to EAM and viceversa from EAM to EIS because the desicion is very dificult to me. Some day i think "Emsi firewall maybe are great and i dont see it" and another times i think "this does not exists and does not do nothing" Include i have a desesperation when i try to install EIS on windows 7 and i dont have the KBXXXXXX update because microsoft servers down. MS haves long time whith their FW maybe they are doing something good. I have 4 years licence i will have 6 years licence of emsi. For me great.

Captain    11

Hello

We want EIS

This is not good idea (Merging Emsisoft Internet Security with Emsisoft Anti-Malware)

please don't remove the firewall

sevensss    1

Hi

We want EIS 

please Don't remove this product 

No one Trust windows firewall and it's complicated to work 

at least ask for your loyal users to vote about this 

if you remove firewall from your product its no difference from other free antivirus solution  

you'll lose a lot  customers 

I hope you listen to  us

• Like 1

iWarren    5

Here is a consideration.... you said less people are interested in the firewall to make it worth your while.

There are still people here who consider it valuable, so instead of taking a loss.... take a profit.

You want to make your time worth your while.... we sincerely want to pay you what you are worth.

Offer the EIS product at a higher price... you might not have to focus on it entirely, many of us, would rather
keep a half maintained product, than a product that does not exist.

Meet us half way.

means, you would not be on the losing end, and giving away product at 50%, but keeping the people who

adore your current product.... and want to keep what we have alive.

If the firewall software is removed, my current project might not come to fruition,
because i will be focused on learning new security.

iWarren    5

I currently took a huge loss, on some neural products, because i sincerely believe i have the capability
to make something of it.... lol I'm already taking a loss in another manner... but that does not matter to me,

I just want to say that... your current firewall solution is in so many ways right.

I critique it hard, and give troubleshoot... not because i don't like it, but because i want to help "improve" it.

Emsisoft, is an amazing company.... but i feel, its because of its diversity... that makes it even better still...

I develop software... i know exactly how hard it is, and it is 100x harder to create, than it is to destroy.
If you fold now.... on the firewall end of things, you are saying, you give in to Malware....

and, Emisoft, gives in, to nobody.
You can take a break.... but you can never give in.

If I had more money, i'd invest in you, but I am but a simple man. lol so all I can do, is say nice words.

and in another world, nice words.... mean much more than profit.

iWarren    5

I mentioned my neural project, because.... if i have to stop, and work on my security.... possibly, maybe my work might not be completed.

iWarren    5

If the developer needs to take a vacation.... any one of us, would wait a month, for your return.... and deal with any
security issue that arrises amidst.... meanwhile, let the work... that stands, stand for its-self.

iWarren    5

The test of a good salesman, is to turn a disadvantage, into an advantage....

Instead of cutting the firewall out, put it at a higher price....

so that the ones of us, who truly love this service.... can enjoy the quality of it.

Thank you.

iWarren    5

I don't want to change anyones mind, or persuade anyone to make a decision they don't truly believe in.

but when I consider Emsisoft, and its functionality.... well, lol

to be honest, i thought v9 was perfect regarding functionality.... maybe the window load time was a bit long,
due to the application rules screen refreshing.

but that sort of thing is understandable.

i truly consider Emsisoft Internet Suite,
to be a perfect setup...

which why this news has come to me... it is not perceived well.

i respect the developers of this program 1000%, and everyone here, would rather have this program existing and working....
than to have it not about...

honestly, i would tell everyone in the world about emsisoft, lol and to use this specific product,
but the problem is.... you tell someone what security software works... and people start attacking it.

so i kind of liked its anononymity.... lol i was always told that security in obscurity is not security... but
i still kind of took to it. lol

anyways, you have already made your terms clear, and what is done is done... however, there is a new way out...
call it a new program.... Emsisoft Firewall.... profit is profit.... you don't have to go the extra mile, because what exists
is already there... and you have at least one supporter (me).

as long as profit is rolling in, even if its on older software... that is money in the bank.
perhaps not your style... but we want, what we want... and we need... what we need.

and if there is a real issue, you would be alerted, to our needs.

PC reset    2

I'm actually happy that EAM gets a fortifying feature for windows firewall. All our customers are using EAM and will benefit from this merge. 

But I understand the fans that really loved EIS. I also used it but i understand the choice made by Emsisoft. I'm really curious for the beta....

Ken1943    2

Many users are using a router today which is a great help. I used to tell everyone that I knew to get a router.

Guess we have to wait and see how things work out. I have EIS on three computers and McAfee on a new Dell. Don't feel

like I have much control with McAfee.

Time will tell !

GT500    358
On 8/12/2017 at 5:20 PM, iWarren said:

You want to make your time worth your while.... we sincerely want to pay you what you are worth.

Offer the EIS product at a higher price...

When you raise prices, you also decrease your customer base. Considering the fact that there is very little advantage in EIS over EAM (people usually connect to the Internet through routers these days), most people currently using EIS would more than likely switch to EAM or even to another Internet Security solution in order to save money.

Regardless, money isn't the only reason for the switch. Maintaining the firewall components of EIS takes a ton of development time away from the rest of the product's features, and reduces our developers' response time on bug reports. The extra time our developers have to spend fixing bugs in the firewall is also time taken away from fixing bugs in the rest of the software, and makes it take longer in general for bugs to get fixed. This essentially reduces the quality of both EAM and EIS just for the sake of keeping the firewall around.

On 8/12/2017 at 5:32 PM, iWarren said:

If the developer needs to take a vacation.... any one of us, would wait a month, for your return....

Don't worry, I'm the only one around here who doesn't take vacations. Most of our team (developers included) take vacations when needed. ;)