Raul90

Unhappy with Emsisoft Internet Security merge with EAM

I doubt you will have to manually enable it yourself. It will be automatically enabled. If for some wild reason it will be disabled, Windows and EAM will tell you to enable it but I'm sure it will be done automatically.

When a 3rd-party Firewall is uninstalled, the Windows Firewall kicks in automatically.

I just want add one thing about the concerns that the loss of a firewall will have about the Microsoft "spying" :

1- MS always "spied" to some extent, on win10 they just "make it clear" 

2- if MS want to spy,  no FW (except maybe those corporate ones) will block it.  MS just need to exfiltrate the datas via  a critical process like svchost.exe which always need a internet connection (i.e for Windows Update) and i tell you no firewall will dare block it by default. Only the most paranoid user will do it.

I know what people feel about the loss of a feature, i felt the same when i was an Online Armor fan , but we have to understand that this decision had been made with the highest consideration for our users and with extreme care with all point of views listened. 

Thank you.

• Like 1

The Firewall tab has been removed, and don't be fooled by the Application Rule firewall settings... as i don't think those are currently working.

i think the "filter" is still in place, but the functionality is gone. am i wrong?

maybe the purpose of our sense of security, was not just for the peace of mind it brought us.

but it was to find each other. lol others.... who are interested in securing our systems. and making sure no one is taken advantage of.

i have had some time over the past week or two, to consider the things i've said here... and how i felt about the EIS change.

I still, sincerely wish that it was the same... the setting changes were so simplistic in nature.. if only you could overlay your firewall

protection, with that of the Microsoft Firewall.

but anyways.

I accept this is the direction you have chosen.

I went with Comodo, and the protection is the same... but not equal,

i do highly enjoy its verbosity in whats going on, but sometimes its like i say something is "okay", like i did with Emsisoft,

and I keep getting pestered with additional messages, lol and its like, even those don't "stick"

anyways, thats not your problem,

as a programmer, i appreciate your choice... i know doing what you did, was never easy.

and I regret now, my support messages i put in with complaints, lol well... i still wanted things fixed, but i wanted

them fixed on your terms.

To this day, I sincerely believe you had a better firewall protection system.

So regardless of what has been said, or what has been done, you did a good thing... in the time, that it was needed.

Companies like Microsoft have thousands of people, and you are just 1 person, but...
just know, the people who really loved this system, had faith in a common principle.

That it took but just 1 small stone to take down goliath.

Looking professional is one thing.... but being professional, is quite another.

Since there's a tighter relation now between EAM and the Windows Firewall (and internet security in general), perhaps EAM should warn when the WF is off?

Unless I'm mistaken there's no warning from EAM if the WF is turned off. So, it seems odd to only warn when a program wants to add WF rules, but not when the WF is completely disabled.

1 hour ago, CBMman said:

Since there's a tighter relation now between EAM and the Windows Firewall (and internet security in general), perhaps EAM should warn when the WF is off?

Unless I'm mistaken there's no warning from EAM if the WF is turned off. So, it seems odd to only warn when a program wants to add WF rules, but not when the WF is completely disabled.

Keep in-mind both powershell.exe and cmd.exe are whitelisted processes. You can modify their respective BB categories for demonstration purposes. It isn't going to demonstrate the same thing as an unknown process attempting to disable Windows Firewall.

1. Open an administrative PowerShell.
  2. Type Set-NetFirewallProfile -Profile Domain,Public,Private -Enabled False  (to turn back on change False to True)

or

1. Open an administrative command prompt.
  2. Type netsh advfirewall set allprofiles state off  (to turn back on change off to on)

I think you misunderstood me, hjlbx. I'm talking about a simple monitor of the WF status, as reported by Windows (an additional check wouldn't hurt either, if feasible). If you disable the WF yourself the usual, standard Control Panel way (why mess with cmd/PowerShell?) there will be no reaction from EAM. It will still say "Your computer is protected" - all green status.

1 hour ago, CBMman said:

I think you misunderstood me, hjlbx. I'm talking about a simple monitor of the WF status, as reported by Windows (an additional check wouldn't hurt either, if feasible). If you disable the WF yourself the usual, standard Control Panel way (why mess with cmd/PowerShell?) there will be no reaction from EAM. It will still say "Your computer is protected" - all green status.

I'd be surprised if the BB\new fortification does not monitor for disabling of WFW by unknown processes and via abuse of trusted processes.  Monitoring of modifications of the WFW portions of the registry, netsh, Set-NetFirewallProfile, etc is monitored by the BB if I am not mistaken - but the monitoring might be limited to only suspicious actions - and turning off WFW in and of itself is not a suspicious action.  The context within which it is turned OFF is what differentiates legitimate from suspicious actions, but I do not know if EAM makes that distinction when turning OFF WFW.  

Windows itself already provides a notification when WFW is disabled - either a toaster on W10 or a Security Center tray icon tooltip.  So, even if malware manages to somehow bypass the BB and disables WFW, Windows itself notifies the user "Hey !! WFW is OFF !"

It is possible that Emsisoft chose to rely upon the Windows notification that WFW is OFF.  If that is the case, then the ease with which that notification can be disabled should be considered.

If the user manually disables the WFW, well then, that is on the user. Isn't it ?

Ask Arthur (GT500).

Yes indeed, one can make it more secure by the input of complex and arcane Rules, but would this be a viable option for the Great Unwashed?

You are a Pro, but the majority of those reading this post (if any) are not- they are Home users. These folk should be using their computer for its intended purpose and not be spending a majority of their time in monitoring, scanning, and various other security application upkeep tasks. 

Microsoft can make this more of a reality by converting WF into something that actually has a point. It really saddens me when I see comments like "Windows firewall is more than enough!".

And apparently a WF upgrade would save quite a bit of your time...
https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/current-state-of-malicious-powershell-script-blocking.395997/page-5#post-2704036 )
This Quote is from a Cruel sister.

Whom the Gods would destroy, they first make Proud

On 9/2/2017 at 9:56 AM, cma6 said:

Won't we have to turn on Windows Firewall when the conversion takes place? How will we know when to do that?

That should happen automatically when the conversion takes place.

On 9/2/2017 at 2:35 PM, iWarren said:

The Firewall tab has been removed, and don't be fooled by the Application Rule firewall settings... as i don't think those are currently working.

i think the "filter" is still in place, but the functionality is gone. am i wrong?

EIS still works as before. It's functionality won't be stripped until the conversion to EAM takes place at the beginning of October.

2 hours ago, hjlbx said:

I'd be surprised if the BB\new fortification does not monitor for disabling of WFW by unknown processes and via abuse of trusted processes.

Any changes made to the firewall settings by an unknown application should be alerted for (or automatically blocked).

iWARREN, I like the cartoon blowing up with Mr. Simpson, Funny, keep it coming so folks here can have a smile.  Also, @ hjlbx if folks in the forum know how to use emsisoft firewall they will learn pfsense very easily since there are tons of tutorials on youtube and other sites.  This firewall is super secure and provides security for all of your network in the home.  You can still use a wireless router with it in bridged mode and it blocks so many ip's and port scans until you see the logs you don't realize how many bad guys that are trying to get in your system through open ports, malware and trojans etc.  Emsisoft Antimalware is probably the best antimalmare i've ever used and i have tested alot of other products like bitdefender etc.  The netgate router comes with pfsense installed.  Just checkout pfsense with your favorite search engine and you'll see that what i am saying is right.  i am certainly not a computer programmer, engineer, i am just someone who likes security and good antivirus-antimalware protection.  This is where the experts at Emsisoft play a tremendous part in our computer on the internet because these malicious attacks are engineered by smart people and it takes people who are experts to keep out the bad guys.  Don't mean to lecture, there is always an alternative but i am not giving up on emsisoft antimalware because the firewall is pretty basic as compared to pfsense.  You guys in this forum are smart people, do your research on what i have suggested because i don't want anyone to loose their security on the internet.:wub:

On 9/2/2017 at 2:15 PM, iWarren said:

i have had some time over the past week or two, to consider the things i've said here... and how i felt about the EIS change.

I still, sincerely wish that it was the same... the setting changes were so simplistic in nature.. if only you could overlay your firewall

protection, with that of the Microsoft Firewall.

but anyways.

I accept this is the direction you have chosen.

I went with Comodo, and the protection is the same... but not equal,

i do highly enjoy its verbosity in whats going on, but sometimes its like i say something is "okay", like i did with Emsisoft,

and I keep getting pestered with additional messages, lol and its like, even those don't "stick"

anyways, thats not your problem,

as a programmer, i appreciate your choice... i know doing what you did, was never easy.

and I regret now, my support messages i put in with complaints, lol well... i still wanted things fixed, but i wanted

them fixed on your terms.

To this day, I sincerely believe you had a better firewall protection system.

So regardless of what has been said, or what has been done, you did a good thing... in the time, that it was needed.

Companies like Microsoft have thousands of people, and you are just 1 person, but...
just know, the people who really loved this system, had faith in a common principle.

That it took but just 1 small stone to take down goliath.

Looking professional is one thing.... but being professional, is quite another.

That is amazing well said and heart felt. I felt the same way and share those exact feelings.

Its a pity but as a niche user, its time to part ways and move to other. Emsisoft does offer a refund for the remaining of the license.

• Like 1

I don't really have a problem with the change & will probably use a Windows FW addition - But I am a little worried about being away for a few days when the change is done on 02 October in case there are problems with this PC accessing the net for example. Is there any way I can do it today 30 September or October 01 before I go away as others will be relying on this PC & concerned I wont be here?

50 minutes ago, PWT2222 said:

But I am a little worried about being away for a few days when the change is done on 02 October in case there are problems with this PC accessing the net for example. I

The migration will just automatically restart EIS and then it will become EAM and the Windows Firewall should be automatically turned on. 

Is there any way I can do it today 30 September or October 01 before I go away as others will be relying on this PC & concerned I wont be here?

Yes, 2 ways to do it right now: 

1- Just contact the Customer Support Team, they will migrate your license manually. (safest method).

2- Enable the beta channel option, EIS will be migrated to EAM.

I don't really have a problem with the chance & will probably use a Windows FW addition - But I am a little worried about being away for a few days when the change is done on 02 October in case there are problems with this PC accessing the net for example. Is there any way I can do it today 30 September before I go away as others will be relying on this PC & concerned I wont be 

2 hours ago, Umbra said:

The migration will just automatically restart EIS and then it will become EAM and the Windows Firewall should be automatically turned on. 

Yes, 2 ways to do it right now: 

1- Just contact the Customer Support Team, they will migrate your license manually. (safest method).

2- Enable the beta channel option, EIS will be migrated to EAM.

Superb service - Contacted support & got key converted & uninstalled EIS & installed EAM while I was at it - No problems whatsoever. Was going to add a secondary firewall but decided to leave things as they are unless I encounter problems. Thanks!

• Like 1

On 9/30/2017 at 5:00 PM, PWT2222 said:

Superb service - Contacted support & got key converted & uninstalled EIS & installed EAM while I was at it - No problems whatsoever. Was going to add a secondary firewall but decided to leave things as they are unless I encounter problems. Thanks!

You're welcome. ;)