Use Emsisoft along with Kaspersky?

I use Kaspersky Total Security. Would it be wise to use an anti-malware program alongside Kaspersky?
I am trying to choose between Malwarebytes 3 or Emsisoft. Before resetting my laptop, I installed Emsisoft and all my applications stopped working. I believe this to be the case due to Emsisoft intervening with another Anti-Virus program, as I read that you should never use 2 anti-virus programs. I know Emsisoft is anti-malware, but I see that there are different versions of Emsisoft, and I can't make out which one doesn't have an anti-virus programmed in it.

Could you please tell me if using Emsisoft alongside my Kaspersky Total Security is wise (if they don't intervene with each other), and which Emsisoft product I need to get?

Thanks in advance.

Emsisoft Antimalware and Emsisoft Internet Security are both anti-virus programs, you cannot use them alongside another anti-virus like Kaspersky.  You can run MBAM along with Kaspersky if you choose.  A virus is a type of malware so don't confuse the name of the product with the type of protection it provides, its just semantics.

18 hours ago, BillH said:

Interesting.  I've been running Emsisoft Antimalware and Norton Security together for over a year and have had no problems at all.

The absence of obvious conflicts on a day-to-day basis does not mean that conflicts between the two products cannot happen, especially when the system gets smacked with malware and both products simultaneously react to protect the system.  One product's protection mechanisms can interfere with the other's.  In the worst case scenario such a conflict can result in a protection failure in both products.  Plus there can be double alerts - not to mention impact on system resources.  While such combos are possible, they are not in a user's best interests.

Perhaps it is counter-intuitive, but less is more.

Working on a gaming laptop (Windows 10 Home 64bit) with suspected infection.  Found adware and suspected rootkit after TDSSKILLER would not run.  I reset Windows and confirmed that Tdsskiller ran fine after clean reinstall.  I then installed Emsisoft Anti-malware and discovered TDSSKILLER would no longer run - no notice or warning; just a spinning cursor for a second or two then nothing.  Can you confirm that these two are incompatible?  Does Emsisoft have its own rootkit detector?

Thanks

You may need to add an exclusion for TDSSKiller. Here are instructions on excluding a process from scanning and monitoring:

1. Open Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
  2. Click on Settings in the menu at the top.
  3. Click on Exclusions in the menu at the top.
  4. To the right of the list to Exclude from scanning, click on the Add file button.
  5. Navigate to the file you would like to exclude, click on it once to select it, and then click Open.
  6. To the right of the list to Exclude from monitoring, click on the Add file button.
  7. Navigate to the file you would like to exclude, click on it once to select it, and then click Open.
  8. Close Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

Note: If a program you have excluded is running, then you will need to close it and reopen it for the exclusion to take effect. In some cases you will need to restart your computer before this will happen.

I added tdsskiller.exe to Emsisoft list of exclusions (Monitoring) and that allowed it to run. However...

I'm surprised Emsisoft blocked it silently and wish I knew this beforehand.  TDSSKiller is a great tool that other Emsisoft mods have often recommended as part of a PC cleanup.  I assumed malware was preventing TDSSKiller from running when it was actually Emsisoft Anti-malware blocking it!  I spent many hours trying to remove a rootkit that wasn't there.

6 hours ago, B0rk said:

I'm surprised Emsisoft blocked it silently and wish I knew this beforehand.

Did the Forensics log in Emsisoft Anti-Malware show it being blocked? TDSSKiller is digitally signed, so I am assuming it was a compatibility issue (Kaspersky's software is generally not compatible with ours) when I recommended exclusions.