simkoole

emsi blog recommending O&OShutup10

I read a lot recently about w10 telemtry, I run win7 (still an issue), and I see your blog appears to recommend O&OShutup10 (whatever it's called). Just checking to verify that recommendation as I've read some folks say to use telemetry quieting apps with caution.  Wondering that since you take such a strong position, which is fine, I tend to agree, I'd prefer emsi code a tool to do this safely and also for older versions of windows.  Or you endorse the O&O app to your standards?

Personally i'm using O&O Shutup10, it seems to be efficient and more reliable than the others (faster updates, etc...), i don't really need it , but better safe than sorry ;) 

5 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

@UmbraHow do you test/verify what these products do?

Those apps block specific features/settings of Win10, so if you select a feature and enable the block for it , the said  feature shouldn't be able to run. 

@Umbra   yes, I realise it shouldn't, but I'm wondering how you know that the relevant features are then disabled?  I wouldn't have thought a normal user (not privy to details of what data gets sent where) could tell - you'd need eg Wireshark and to know where data was being sent to be able to see that certain classes of data are no longer transmitted.

4 minutes ago, JeremyNicoll said:

@Umbra   yes, I realise it shouldn't, but I'm wondering how you know that the relevant features are then disabled?  I wouldn't have thought a normal user (not privy to details of what data gets sent where) could tell - you'd need eg Wireshark and to know where data was being sent to be able to see that certain classes of data are no longer transmitted.

Some feature like Cortana, Windows Apps  or Windows Defender wont work as they should because they are being disabled or they can't connect , that is the "proof" for home users.

If you want real confirmation of the feature  being blocked or not from calling home, you will need a traffic tool like Wireshark as you mentioned; however the classic home user won't go this far and should trust the said apps to some extent.