MikeAFL

Rule To Prevent Opening Links In Browser Not Working

On 3/4/2017 at 5:12 AM, zdanger said:

I've set firewall in/out to All blocked for an application but it still can open URL's launching my default browser. How can I prevent this?

I have the same problem.

I was able to prevent the app from opening a link by not allowing it to spawn a browser process. That worked for a while, then suddenly stopped working. I was able to fix it with some combination of deleting the rule and rewriting it, and/or shutting down emsisoft and restarting it, and/or rebooting. I don't recall exactly what I did, but it worked.

The rule has stopped working again, and none of the above fixes it. Everything is blocked on the executable, and it is still able to open a browser.

Please advise.

Edited by GT500
Added quote from original topic.

I don't think blocking applications from opening links in your default browser was ever an intended functionality of the Behavior Blocker. I know the firewall was never capable of doing it.

14 hours ago, GT500 said:

I don't think blocking applications from opening links in your default browser was ever an intended functionality of the Behavior Blocker. I know the firewall was never capable of doing it.

Preventing one application from launching another application is a basic security function. Has nothing to do with the firewall. Emsisoft did this until recently. Would like to see it fixed ASAP.

There are a number of ways of opening a link in the default browser that don't require directly launching the application.

Also, launching an application is not a malicious behavior. In this case we're talking about a web browser, which shows a UI, and is usually trusted to begin with, which is all normal and non-malicious behavior.