stapp

CLOSED Surf protection 7904

EAM win 7 64 bit.

I thought I'd check out surf protection so I opened up Protection... Surf protection... where I have the built-in list always showing.

Started to type in the long box and unfortunately all my built-in list has now disappeared  :(

I opened and closed the GUI.. turned surf protection off and on, turned built in list checkbox off and on but there is nothing.

Probably a reboot would fix it but thought I'd tell you first

debug logs attached

surf.PNG
Download Image

a2start_20170825140850(2244).zip

This happens here (also using the current EIS beta) if I type a space into the long box, but then I also see the caret offset from the start of the box.  Maybe the tool you took the screenshot with suppressed that? The box if it's empty should (I think) say "Search" in it, at least mine does some of the time...  

Hmm, if after typing a space into that box I switch away to another list eg Application Rules and then back to Surf Protection, I see the same as the screenshot above - no indication that I previously had a space typed into the box, no caret, no "Search" prompt... but if I click on the box the caret appears offset one character width from the lefthand side of the box.

Maybe characters invalid in hostnames shouldn't be accepted in that box?

Frank I have found out how to replicate this.

Did a cold boot.

Went to Protection... Surf Protection.

Built in list is visible.

My control site for Surf Protection testing is GT500.org

I type GT5 and as soon as I type the number 5, the built in list disappears.

@stapp before you type the "5" does your control site still show in the list?   I ask because if it had somehow got dropped then seeing no matching entries would not be a surprise.  Having said that, do you not then still have G, T and 5 visible in the long box?

Thanks Peter and Jeremy.

More info Frank

The surf protection GUI only breaks if the info you input into the box is NOT  in the built in list.

In other words if GT500.org is in the buitl in list there is no problem, and the GUI brings up the site in the list.

But if GT500.org is not in the  built in list the GUI breaks for the surf protection.

Here, if I tick "hide built-in items", so I can see those I previously added myself, then untick the hide and type part of the name of one of my own entries, the list does properly reduce to show just that previous entry.   I also tried adding a brand-new fictional site and finding that again works as expected.  But when that's happening, the part name that I've typed in the long box is visible in the long box, which appears not to be the case for you @stapp  ?

All I know is that the Surf Protection part of the GUI is not working as expected, and to have it working correctly again I have to reboot.

I'm sure Frank and the devs will let us know when they have had a look.

stapp, i've tried to understand your issue, but it's not clear, sorry.

I've tested with gt500, and it just shows-up in the list,  as it sits in 'my own' category.

As soon as i type 'gt6', the list renders empty, because no host that starts with 'gt6' sits in the list. This is expected behavior.

Could you please clarify, with a step by step reproduction ?

thanks

Have built in surf protection list showing.

After you type GT6 and the list disappears, highlight GT6 using your cursor and delete it.

Can you get your built in list to show again?

I cannot until I reboot.

Ahhh, I don't press the delete key to delete GT6.

I highlight GT6 and then press the space bar on my keyboard to delete.

What happens to you when you do that? It breaks the Surf Protection GUI when I do it.

stapp... deleting a selected area with the spacebar adds a space to the searchbox, which results in EAM showing a host that starts with a space, and such hosts do not exist ;=)

you should  delete the selected text with the DEL key or Delete or cut (context menu) and not by pressing the spacebar.

:coffee -> stapp :P

I have used the space bar to delete highlighted things for many years now and never had a problem. I use this method in forum posts here and at other forums etc.

However, I have never used it in surf protection before so never realized  it would have this result.

The surf protection box is a one off I guess.

I forgive who ever designed it that way :lol:

@stapp  That method is a special case of the general Windows-ism where anything you type when some text is selected replaces that text.  So typing eg an "a" when something is selected would replace it by an "a".  It's a pity that the space you've been using doesn't seem to be readily recognisable on screen, according to your screenshot.   I /do/ wonder though why the long box, when it just has a space in it, doesn't show the caret displaced one character to the right of the start of the box.   Hmm, trying the delete-by-space here (under W8.1) I /do/ then see the caret displaced by the space character.  

Do you not get that?  That is, is the screenshot you showed slightly inaccurate?  I know that some screenshot tools have an option to remove the mouse pointer from the screen when they take the picture...

1 hour ago, stapp said:

I have used the space bar to delete highlighted things for many years now and never had a problem. I use this method in forum posts here and at other forums etc.

correct, but replacing a piece of text by a space in an editor differs a bit from adding a search string in a real-time search-box ;)

The forensics logs works in a similar by the way :P

I forgive who ever designed it that way :lol:

I'll bring the message