Tician

MPH-HC video player crashes - Emsisoft fault?

Hi there,

System: Windows 7 Pro 64 bit - latest version

Emsisoft Anti-Malware Verison 10.002.392 - also Updates itself

There are no other Anti-Malware Programs running.

Alright so here is the thing: Today I noticed that the only video-player that can play the videos I ahve (MPH-HC) directly crashes as soon as I try to open any of the video-files. The player did not change, so why do I think it is Emsis fault?

Well look at this picture I took:

c9oYgRG.png

It is pointing to a library file from Emsisoft. Any ideas how this is happening? I don't see Emsi blocking anything, also it doesn't detect something.

Just some weeks ago everything was running fine. Hope you can help me :)

Tician

Stapp and Minimalist are correct. Adding a monitoring exclusion for Media Player Classic's installation folder works for now.

Instructions to add monitoring exclusions for a folder:

1. Open your Emsisoft Anti-Malware or Internet Security product.
  2. Click "Settings" in the top row, then "Exclusions" in the second row.
  3. Click 'add folder' in the "Exclude from monitoring" section, and browse to the MPC installation folder, then press OK.

If for some reason this doesn't work for you, let us know here, or drop us an email at [email protected] and reference this thread.

I did the exclusion process on the program itself

C:\Program Files\MPC-HC\mpc-hc64.exe

plus the folder

C:\Program Files\MPC-HC\

and now I get a crash error...

1253768748_MPCPlayercrash.png.c60a523a091173677a9fd1c090a4b7b9.png
Download Image

so, whats to be done about this? Do I need to reboot (sorta busy now)? This whole thing has thrown a monkey wrench in my media driven day. I now have to use clunky-as-f windows media player or VLC. WAH!!! WAH!!! WAH!!!

Which exclusions list did you add the program & folder to?   The exclude-from-scanning one (no use), or the exclude-from-monitoring list (should work)?

Also, has it recently worked alright?    If it has (in which case it suggests a recently-released version of EAM is the problem), you might be able to tell EAM to use the 'Delayed Feed' (ie an older version of the program) rather than the more-uptodate one.  You could try that by going to EAM's Settings - Updates - Update feed  and choosing "Delayed", then choose "Update now" from the systray icon menu.    If you do do this, as soon as you again reset the feed to "Stable" the newest version of EAM will again be installed.  Sooner or later Emsisoft will ditch whatever older version is on the "Delayed feed" and a newer version will replace it, so - if this change does sort your problem - it won't fix it for ever.

5 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

Which exclusions list did you add the program & folder to?   The exclude-from-scanning one (no use), or the exclude-from-monitoring list (should work)?

The file exclusion from monitoring worked. Thanks.

Thanks for updating rustyDusty, and for helping, JeremyNicoll.For anyone else reviewing this, the exclusion is made like this:

1. Open Emsisoft Anti-Malware, click "Settings" then the "Exclusions" tab.
  2. Click 'add folder' in the exclude from monitoring section, navigate to the target folder "C:\Program Files\MPC-HC\" (or other location if you did not install it there), and click OK.

Note: Exclusions only apply to programs started after the exclusion is made. To be effective, you may need to restart the process or program, or restart the computer, depending on the program being excluded. In this case, a reboot is recommended.

• Like 1

To know that there are two different exclusion settings (one for scanning and another for monitoring) is good to know so as not to feel like such a dummy head, :unsure: lol