KathyJ

EIS merger and NOT using a router

I am one of the rare ones that don't have a router and never have. I use a Westell modem that I have owned for many years and have never wanted or needed one and I still don't. I use Windows 7 Pro and EIS and I've never had any problems. I don't want to purchase a router when I don't really need it and can get by without it, so will using Windows firewall with advanced security and EAM be sufficient?

1 hour ago, Umbra said:

How do you connect to internet ? do you have a box offered by your Internet Provider?

I turn on my Westell WireSpeed modem provided to me by my Internet Provider. I don't keep it on all the time because I don't want to be nor have a need to be online constantly. This has been working for me with no problems for more years than I can recall. So, as the old saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" and that's what I hope to keep doing.

If the modem is recent , it should have a built-in firewall to protect you from unwanted incoming connections. Turning it off when you are not online is ok because nobody can connect to you then.

27 minutes ago, Umbra said:

If the modem is recent , it should have a built-in firewall to protect you from unwanted incoming connections. Turning it off when you are not online is ok because nobody can connect to you then.

It's not recent but it still works fine. That's why I've always purchased a firewall and so far it has worked with no problems.

Since my last post, I remembered I had 2 more modems around here that my husband had used and is unable to use them now. I found them and they say Westell Wirespeed DSL Router where mine said, Westell WireSpeed DSL modem. If I use his old DSL Router with EAM will this be enough?  His equipment is old also but not as old as mine. I already use MalwareBytes Premium also so with all of this together, is it enough? I hope I'm not making a pest of myself and if I am, I apologize because I don't mean to be. I'm just dumb when it comes to routers.

It's not quite as simple as router vv modem.  If you have old stuff lying around it might not be capable of running at the speeds that your internet connection works at.   So, if you used an old router it might reduce the speed of the connection by a factor of 10 or 100...   I (in th eUK) have never heard of Westell - what country is that equipment supplied in? Maybe you should ask your ISP what their recommendation is for making a secure connection to their network.

i had a similar setup with Charter before... its internet service.... directly through a modem setup.

a firewall setup is crucial, and who wants to remove edit, delete, add all of the existing rules.

has anyone even iterated through the current microsoft rules... is there not a rule to allow

Windows Media Player?

Seriously, who uses that, and feels safe about their computer.

short of Christian, who I think is the main developer of this suite.... giving us exact firewall rules for Windows.

I will never feel secure with the changes made here.

over time i discovered i needed what IP's to allow for svchost, as the bare minimum to connect.... i think,

if Emsisoft is going to throw us to the dogs, they need to tell us the bare minimum, of what we need to change.... to keep us secure.

If you won't let us use your firewall to connect with the bare minimum settings.... then you should offer a configuration, and telling us

what Windows Firewall settings we NEED to change.

And if you dare say that Windows Firewall has the perfect configuration as it currently is, as a default setup.....

then i will know you are full of it.

Because Windows is designed to connect with everything under the sun for compatability.

i have told everyone my settings of what i needed, in past posts....

how about a little transparency...

or is this a case of bill gates using linux?

If we're all in the same boat, we're more likely to try to prevent it from sinking.

@iWarren it is abundantly clear that you are not happy with our decision to discontinue EIS.  The decision has been made and users have been informed of the timeline we intend to follow while EIS enters EOL.  The reasons for ending development and support for EIS have been made public, but you seem to think that we have other motives.  Bottom line EIS sales must support the costs of development of the FW component of EIS.  Companies cannot stay profitable if they pursue unprofitable programs.

This is the only post I will make on this topic.

This thread has run its course and it is being closed.