Jimbo

Merging Emsisoft Internet Security with Emsisoft Anti-Malware

Unfortunately, I don't have a facebook, twitter, etc. account so can't "join" the blog dixcussion.  The other threads didn't help with my questions.

I have several questions.

1. How do I tell if my "Actiontec MI424WR-GEN3I" router is a NAT router or nt?  If not, it appears I must now purchase a new router and set it up becuase of the loss of a firewall ... groan.  (Verizon doesn't mention this router version and looking a the configuration I see no references to NAT.

2.  Tell me what Emsisoft Anti-Malware will do that Malwarebytes Premium doesn't do?  One thing it did was to provide a firewall.

I had purchased Online Armor for the firewall. I was forced to install Internet Security but it seemed to work with my other software so it turned out ok. WIth 26 months left on my license I now have 39 months, after the extension. Yet, it won't contain the one protection for which it was purchased.

So, I'm now running Webroot SecureAnywhere, MalwareBytes, & Sandboxie (for browsing), and now, a second Anti-malware program, and will have to purchase firewall software that I trust.

On 9/12/2017 at 5:02 AM, Jimbo said:

I have several questions.

1. How do I tell if my "Actiontec MI424WR-GEN3I" router is a NAT router or nt?  If not, it appears I must now purchase a new router and set it up becuase of the loss of a firewall ... groan.  (Verizon doesn't mention this router version and looking a the configuration I see no references to NAT.

Most modern routers offered by Internet providers are NAT routers:

Yours seems to has one : http://setuprouter.com/router/actiontec/mi424wr-gen3i/nat-27067-large.htm

2.  Tell me what Emsisoft Anti-Malware will do that Malwarebytes Premium doesn't do?  One thing it did was to provide a firewall.

First,  Malwarebytes always recommended to use another Antivirus alongside it. Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (MBAM) is a complement and focuses on certain type on malware and is less efficient on others (especially viruses). 

In addition, Emsisoft Anti-malware has a Behavior Blocker (with Anti-ransomware and Windows Firewall Fortification feature) to prevent Fully UnDetected (FUD) malware to compromise your system; feature MBAM doesn't have. 

Umbra,

You are awesome and I thank you for your responses.  Bless you!

You are correct, that is my router.  I don't undestand how I failed to see the Static NAT link before posting nor did I click on the other links such as DMZ Host.  Continued research turned up a thread that stated if your IP address is 192.168 then you are probably behind a NAT.

Thank you for the explanation of the differences.  That gives me some comfort.  To say I am uncomfortable with any security provided by Microsoft would be an understatement.

@Jimbo

Thank you very much.

Many things are said about computer security, especially about Windows' security features, we can only know by learning and testing ourselves; i am using Windows Firewall alone since Windows 8, never got any issues.  :)  

• Like 1