slopes

Windows firewall pop up

Recommended Posts

I know this isn't Emsisoft's problem but could use some help.

I get this alert after restoring windows firewall to default.

Have tried a different user account and disabled wifi ,no change.

Has anyone else received this alert after the merge?

I am missing EIS already :D

Thanks

 

wf.png
Download Image

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had that too, for Firefox, the first time I tried to browse my bank's website.    I deliberately have my home lan configured in Windows as a public network.   I think in my case the warning was saying is that if you are using a public network (which for most people will be when they're eg using WiFi in a cafe) it's not really safe to access websites like banks that way, or maybe it was simply because it was an https connection.  Anyway, I ticked the box to allow the connection on a public network and the alert went away.

If I was actually using a genuinely public network, I wouldn't visit bank websites etc.   It does the beg the question though about how to be safe if you actually need to vist such a website when you're not at home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, stapp said:

Does it say who is managing the settings?  (See one of the screenshots in this thread)

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/windows-firewall-blocked-apps-on-windows-10/f1ada5d7-bdd4-4304-b2fd-52ef4b8922b9

Have a read of the thread as there are 2 pages.

 

I will go through these suggestions on the link and see what happens.

This only happens when I open Chrome and only once after restoring wf to default and not allowing access ,I assume it adds a rule,edge doesn't show the alert .

I wish bb and surf protection worked with edge

Thanks Stapp

ps,everything seems to be working fine in chrome after not allowing access

 

 

 

 

 

fs.png
Download Image

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, JeremyNicoll said:

I had that too, for Firefox, the first time I tried to browse my bank's website.    I deliberately have my home lan configured in Windows as a public network.   I think in my case the warning was saying is that if you are using a public network (which for most people will be when they're eg using WiFi in a cafe) it's not really safe to access websites like banks that way, or maybe it was simply because it was an https connection.  Anyway, I ticked the box to allow the connection on a public network and the alert went away.

If I was actually using a genuinely public network, I wouldn't visit bank websites etc.   It does the beg the question though about how to be safe if you actually need to vist such a website when you're not at home.

Hi Jeremy,mine is set to public as well for some reason,have no private network (don't know how to configure this).See screen shot on reply to Stapp. Computer never leaves the house and I am miles from any public wifi

Thanks

PS I have network discovery and file sharing shut off in both public and private networks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you first connect to a new network, Windows asks you whether you want to share files and printers etc - if you say yes, it sets you up as a private network, for no it sets public.

In EIS, one could choose whether to have EIS use Windows' view of a connection, or always set one or otehr value, and you could also alter it anytime you wanted.  Now that EIS is no longer with us you have to delve into Windows Settings to alter it.   Here's advice for W8:

https://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/9837-network-location-set-private-public-windows-8-a.html

There are I'm sure corresponding tutorials at sevenforums or tenforums (or whatever) for W7, W10 etc.  Note that configuring a network as public doesn't prevent one from printing to a printer elsewhere on one's own LAN - that's not "printer sharing".   Printer sharing is when a printer that's physically connected to one PC is made accessible from other local PCs, which send the data to the owning PC which in turn sends it to the printer.  As for file sharing, I've never allowed it on my LAN, seeing it as a risk that could allow rogue software on one PC to corrupt files on another machine. If I must copy files between machines I'd use a USB stick to shift them, or maybe FTP, or Dropbox (where at least the files that can be updated are not system ones).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a warning that Public Networks can be unsafe. Don't forget, Windows is used by many that know nothing or very little about safety with networks.

A Private network is usually set up by people that know something networking. I am setup with a Public Network because 3 of my computers use wireless and there are at least 50 networks in this apartment complex. I thought a public network MIGHT be safer from scriptkiddies. Don't really know !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JeremyNicoll said:

When you first connect to a new network, Windows asks you whether you want to share files and printers etc - if you say yes, it sets you up as a private network, for no it sets public.

In EIS, one could choose whether to have EIS use Windows' view of a connection, or always set one or otehr value, and you could also alter it anytime you wanted.  Now that EIS is no longer with us you have to delve into Windows Settings to alter it.   Here's advice for W8:

https://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/9837-network-location-set-private-public-windows-8-a.html

There are I'm sure corresponding tutorials at sevenforums or tenforums (or whatever) for W7, W10 etc.  Note that configuring a network as public doesn't prevent one from printing to a printer elsewhere on one's own LAN - that's not "printer sharing".   Printer sharing is when a printer that's physically connected to one PC is made accessible from other local PCs, which send the data to the owning PC which in turn sends it to the printer.  As for file sharing, I've never allowed it on my LAN, seeing it as a risk that could allow rogue software on one PC to corrupt files on another machine. If I must copy files between machines I'd use a USB stick to shift them, or maybe FTP, or Dropbox (where at least the files that can be updated are not system ones).

I see, so my current settings should be safe? I was just curious why it was public but my  filesharing being shutoff would explain that.

Will have to do some more research,life was so much simpler when all I had was a rotary phone:D 

Thanks Jeremy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ken1943 - yes, similarly here.  I have a flatmate who knows little about computers but some of his pals are more knowledgeable.  They all use my LAN and I prefer the higher level of security that's implicit by having the LAN configured as public AND me being careful of what I do there just as I would anywhere else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ken1943 said:

Just a warning that Public Networks can be unsafe. Don't forget, Windows is used by many that know nothing or very little about safety with networks.

A Private network is usually set up by people that know something networking. I am setup with a Public Network because 3 of my computers use wireless and there are at least 50 networks in this apartment complex. I thought a public network MIGHT be safer from scriptkiddies. Don't really know !

I don't really know either,just want this thing locked up as much as possible

Thanks Ken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

slopes > I see, so my current settings should be safe

Having your machine think it's on a public network does not make it safe, but more types of traffic would automatically be allowed through the firewall if you chose 'private'.   They're only initial settings though.  I plan (probably using WFC since it looks to me as if it's easier to use than the Windows Firewall interface directly) to review all the firewall rules.  I'm perfectly happy for example to have rules normally blocking certain traffic (eg from a particular program) if I know that I would only run that program at rare intervals, and deliberately.  I'd rather allow the access just briefly while I use such a program, then close it again, than leave lots of programs free to do what they want. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is an alternate point of view... which is that it's better to run with one's home network configured  private  ... so that when you do eventually use a genuinely public network the extra alerts that WF might give will make you stop and think about the extra unsafeness of that public network.    If I was using a totally wired network at home, with no other ever users present, then I would set it up as private, and have that extra reminder elsewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is another read about this STUFF !

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/is-public-safer-than-private-or-home-when-setting/e3d26f48-09ad-4c9a-8111-1776f453e382?auth=1

JeremyNicoll, using a Work Group on a lan gives much more control over what others can see/do on your computer. Windows 10 also throws more restrictions in the mix.

On Windows 7, you should have seen the warning about sharing C: or even parts of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ken1943 > JeremyNicoll, using a Work Group on a lan gives much more control ...

I'm not sure I configured it as such, but my machine says it has a workgroup name of "WORKGROUP".   I think I thought that was the default for a machine not on a (corporate) domain-controlled network.  Are you saying that there's a three-way choice: domain-controlled, workgroup, and neither?    I also think that domain-controlled is only a possible choice on an Enterprise/Pro level of W8 or W10 - is that right?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It can be named anything. I always changed the name and only allowed my drive where I keep pictures, installation files and such. I also allowed folders on C:\ that were off the

root that I put there. Don't even know if it can be used with a domain.

Never had to research that. Up until I retired and moved, I always had a lan and never  used wifi. Now I only have one machine by my router and others are on wlifi so I

don't trip over cables. I don't even have a network set up between computers because of wifi being involved. Usb sticks move/copy files for me now, much safer as only my sticks

are used.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want to Windows Firewall configuration to be simple, and only allow what you tell it to, then there's a program called TinyWall that allows you to easily make whitelists and blacklists of applications to allow/block. As I understand it, you should be able to use TinyWall to configure the Windows Firewall to only allow programs that you have whitelisted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went through all suggestions nothing changed.There are 2 google chrome in  inbound rules blocked in profile public.

You would think windows would have these on their list and not require a user decision.

I am assuming google chrome should be safe .I am thinking allow google chrome to communicate on public network?

Thanks

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

> I am thinking allow google chrome to communicate on public network?

I think so, unless you want browsing not to work on a public network to prevent you from visiting needed-to-be-secure websites in an possibly-insecure way.   The FW siftware and advice can't distinguish between genuinely unsafe public networks and home networks set up in the same way.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

> I am thinking allow google chrome to communicate on public network?

I think so, unless you want browsing not to work on a public network to prevent you from visiting needed-to-be-secure websites in an possibly-insecure way.   The FW siftware and advice can't distinguish between genuinely unsafe public networks and home networks set up in the same way.

I hate making decisions lol

I just finished the windows 10 creators update as well , more things to learn!

Thanks for your help Jeremy appreciate it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, slopes said:

I am assuming google chrome should be safe .I am thinking allow google chrome to communicate on public network?

Normally it should be fine. The path from your screenshot looks like a normal place for Google Chrome, so I don't see any reason to be suspicious (unless you have Google Chrome installed to another path than what's in the notification).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.