Sign in to follow this  
Big Viking

Amnesia Decryption taking Months.

Hi Guys,

I downloaded months ago the decrypter and its been running ever since. It is only just hit "Documents and Settings" as it does this alphabetically.

My Question is what is the preffered approach target specific files you want recovered (if you can remember) or just a complete system approach. Another quick question, does the encrytion key used vary per file?. If it uses a global key it works it out for every file?.

Thanks,

BV

Unfortunately Amnesia2 uses a different key for each file. Decryption is a very CPU intensive task, and it can take a long time on certain computers. The faster the processor, the faster the decryption will progress.

Hi,  I was also affected by the amnesia 2 ransomware.  I used the Emsisoft Decrypter for Amnesia2 to try decrypting one of the files that was infected.  It was successful, (thank you very much guys) however it did take a long time.  I want to buy a new faster computer for decrypting my files so my question is does the amnesia 2 decrypter work faster with computers with more cores and threads (16 cores and 32 threads  like the intel core i9 or amd threadripper cpus) or is there a limit to the number of cpu cores and threads that the decrypter takes advantage of?

Thank you very much.

Janet

I would believe it will use all available CPU cores, however I'll ask our malware analysts to be certain.

The answer is that the decryption tool is multithreaded and should take advantage of all available CPU cores.