Ken1943

Trouble Login to Router

I just got rid of Xfinity modem/router for a SB6183 modem and Asus router. With AM active I can't log in with 192.168.0.1

Not sure where I am being blocked.

Kind of strange. I don't know if it is AM or Windows Firewall Control. On a wired connection I can use 

router.asus.com/main_login.asp, but not 192.168.1.1 On wireless, nothing works

I sent an email to Windows Firewall Control although I made a rule for 192.168.1.1 in and out

Tried 3 browsers. Windows 10 set to public network.

Changed to private network did not help.

So, I am waiting for a possible direction here.

Really SKUNKED !!!

Edited by Ken1943
adding information as I try to fix

In your first post you mentioned 192.168.0.1  but in your second 192.168.1.1 - which is not the same.  Is one or other a typo?  The difference matters.

Which model of asus router?   Is it new?  If there's any doubt do a reset on it first.

You said you can connect to it as   router.asus.com   ...?     and that worked...    It worked because asus routers have a special entry in their DNS server (on the router) that points to themselves.   That would rather suggest that the router's address isn't what you think it is.

Remember that WFC is just a front-end to the WF rules.    If you disconnect the router from the internet then set WFC to  'low filtering'  then it shouldn't interfere with a connection to the router.   EAM certainly shouldn't.

Wireless probably doesn't work because you won't have turned it on on the router yet.

Just a typo. If I would have researched the router better I would have known the problem before purchase. While the tech support a Amazon tried to help, he 

did not know about that models problems.

It will be shipped back and I ordered a TP Link router. I researched it on the web and through news groups.

What model was it? I had two ASUS RT-N66U routers that literally ran so hot they burned up their own processors (even the replacements did it while they were sitting on laptop coolers), and one of them was in a room with a pretty constant 73 Fahrenheit (23 Celsius) temperature. ASUS was great about getting them replaced for me, but eventually I just decided to go with something from a different manufacturer, since I needed something that would be reliable.

As for the original question, if EAM was blocking communication with the router (which shouldn't happen) then it would be logged in the Surf Protection or Behavior Blocker logs, and turning off the Surf Protection and/or Behavior Blocker should allow you to connect until you turn them back on.

It was a RT-AC66U B1 . I am getting my money back. I ordered a TP-Link Archer C7 from NewEgg that had good reviews on the web and news groups. These are my first from

either manufacturers. I got a reply from Windows Firewall Control about the problem. The trouble really had me confused. I even had Amazon support on chat which was

no help. Been 4 years since I had a 'real' router  with a separate modem and 8 since I last had Comcast. I even was thinking about bridging the thing until I realized what I was doing !!

Big changes from the last router I had

Yeah, router firmware has changed a lot over the years, and ASUS has a rather fancy UI for a router.