Da Phu

Emsisoft Emergency Kit still running in the background

I close Emsisoft Emergency Kit after ran a malware scan. However, Emsisoft still running in the background in my task manager, and its using 155MB of my RAM.  I don't remember it doing this. 

Does the Task Manager allow you to right-click on the running process, and save a memory dump? If so, save it somewhere easy to find, ZIP the memory dump, and you can send it to us to take a look at why it isn't closing. If it's too large to attach to a reply, then you can use a file sharing service to upload it to and get a link to post here or send to me in a Private Message.

On 10/23/2017 at 9:19 PM, GT500 said:

Does the Task Manager allow you to right-click on the running process, and save a memory dump? If so, save it somewhere easy to find, ZIP the memory dump, and you can send it to us to take a look at why it isn't closing. If it's too large to attach to a reply, then you can use a file sharing service to upload it to and get a link to post here or send to me in a Private Message.

Here is the dump file that you requested. 

PM

OK, I've forwarded your memory dump to our developers so that they can take a look at it.

I assume this is happening on Windows 10? Is the new Fall Creators Update (1709) installed? If so, did you tweak any of the new security settings?

16 hours ago, GT500 said:

OK, I've forwarded your memory dump to our developers so that they can take a look at it.

I assume this is happening on Windows 10? Is the new Fall Creators Update (1709) installed? If so, did you tweak any of the new security settings?

Windows 10 home x64 Version 1709 OS build 16299.19

No tweak on any new security settings at all. But I managed to discover the new Exploit settings everything is on by default on the Fall Update. As I say, no tweak on any new settings only discover them.    

Hi Jerky,

I have just run EEK on Win 10 1709 and saw no process running in task manager after I closed EEK.

One thing I noticed in your screenshot  for the properties of EEK, ii says it is running from the Location C\ProgramFiles(x86)[Virus Removal Tool] Emsisoft

Mine is running from C:\EEK\bin64

I had EAM shut down while I installed and ran EEK.

25 minutes ago, stapp said:

Hi Jerky,

I have just run EEK on Win 10 1709 and saw no process running in task manager after I closed EEK.

One thing I noticed in your screenshot  for the properties of EEK, ii says it is running from the Location C\ProgramFiles(x86)[Virus Removal Tool] Emsisoft

Mine is running from C:\EEK\bin64

I had EAM shut down while I installed and ran EEK.

The installer allow you choose your destination folder. Now I can't run Emsisoft Emergency Kit at all on my PC and the commandline scanner crash immediately when it open. Emsiclean say no traces of Emsisoft at all on my machine. 

Run from bin64 folder is still a no no to me. 

The program is still running after check for update and ran a malware scan. 

No malware at all confirmed by HitmanPro and Malwarebytes Anti Malware

I don't know anymore. 

Emsisoft Emergency Kit was running fine before the Fall Update, so I believe there must be some incompatibility with it. 

8 hours ago, Jerky McDilerino said:

Also Emsisoft Emergency Kit refuse to run on my PC. Tried delete it and reinstall, still no good. 

The Emergency Kit Scanner can crash on Windows 10 if the Mandatory ASLR option is turned on in the new exploit protection. I am not aware of any other issues though.

1 hour ago, GT500 said:

The Emergency Kit Scanner can crash on Windows 10 if the Mandatory ASLR option is turned on in the new exploit protection. I am not aware of any other issues though.

Thanks, turning ASLR off I can run Emsisoft now. However, that does not fix why Emsisoft still running in the background when I close the app after running a scan. :angry: My laptop with the Fall Creator update also show the same problem as well. Before the Fall Creator update, it was running fine. 

I didn't get any initial response from our developers regarding the memory dump, so I've asked QA to open a bug report.

Hi guys, I have ASLR enabled on Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, but have EEK installed in C:\Program Files and have no issues with it. The EEK process is killed in Task Manager as soon as I close it.

Here is my laptop showing the same issue as my main gaming rig. Emsisoft process still running in the background after closing the app. What I did is just update the signature and perform either a quick or malware scan.  Laptop upgraded to the Fall Creator last 2 days ago. No new security change at all. 

Screenshot_1.png
Download Image

Screenshot_2.png
Download Image

1 hour ago, dja2k said:

It might be something you are running in common on both your PC and Laptop.  Maybe Bitdefender perhaps?

Not making any sense at all for real time antivirus refuse to let app close completely. Before the Fall Creatore update, it was running fine. After the Fall Creator update, this problem occur so I definitely doubt there's some incompatibility with it. Emsisoft Emergency Kit is a on demand scanner tool, so it doesn't interfere with real time protect antivirus at all. As matter of fact, both of my PC showing the same issue as well, so it the software end.  

> Emsisoft Emergency Kit is a on demand scanner tool, so it doesn't interfere with real time protect antivirus at all.

That may be true, but the opposite might not be.    A 'real time protect antivirus' probably gets its hooks into every other process so it can limit what they do.  It could be preventing EEK from shutting down.

57 minutes ago, JeremyNicoll said:

> Emsisoft Emergency Kit is a on demand scanner tool, so it doesn't interfere with real time protect antivirus at all.

That may be true, but the opposite might not be.    A 'real time protect antivirus' probably gets its hooks into every other process so it can limit what they do.  It could be preventing EEK from shutting down.

But i have this setup over a year, and this problem begin to occur after I upgraded to Fall Creator update. My main av is Bitdefender Free btw. 

I don't know anymore. 

On 10/28/2017 at 12:53 AM, dja2k said:

Hi guys, I have ASLR enabled on Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, but have EEK installed in C:\Program Files and have no issues with it. The EEK process is killed in Task Manager as soon as I close it.

Do you have the latest beta installed? The issue should be fixed in the beta.

On 10/28/2017 at 5:11 PM, Jerky McDilerino said:

Not making any sense at all for real time antivirus refuse to let app close completely.

In a case like that, it would more than likely be an open hook causing problems. In order to monitor running programs, Anti-Virus software will inject their own code into every process running on the system, and this has the potential to cause problems (especially when there is more than one application with real-time protection running on the system).

22 hours ago, GT500 said:

Do you have the latest beta installed? The issue should be fixed in the beta.

In a case like that, it would more than likely be an open hook causing problems. In order to monitor running programs, Anti-Virus software will inject their own code into every process running on the system, and this has the potential to cause problems (especially when there is more than one application with real-time protection running on the system).

Beta make it more worst than the Stable. Beta now add another Emsisoft process running in the background. 

19 hours ago, GT500 said:

What process would that be?

Did exclusions have any effect?

a2emergencykit.exe

Bitdefender Free dont have manual exclusion. 

On 11/2/2017 at 12:36 AM, GT500 said:

Isn't that the same process as before? Are there now two instances of it running? What does something like Process Hacker or Process Explorer say?

Also, does the issue happen when Windows is running in Safe Mode?

Main PC: Running both Stable and Beta update. I did tried Safe Mode with Networking, and it does show Emsisoft still running in the background when I close the app after a quick or malware scan.

WINDOWS MODE.png
Download Image

SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING.png
Download Image

OK, it looks like a second instance of a2emergencykit.exe is being loaded by the first instance. More than likely due to changes to our crash handler.

I'm thinking it's more than likely that BitDefender's software is causing the issue (especially since it doesn't happen in Safe Mode), however if they don't have exclusions then I'm not sure what can be done to prevent it. It might be necessary to manually terminate a2emergencykit.exe after closing it in this case.

Are you able to end the process with just the Task Manager?

24 minutes ago, GT500 said:

OK, it looks like a second instance of a2emergencykit.exe is being loaded by the first instance. More than likely due to changes to our crash handler.

I'm thinking it's more than likely that BitDefender's software is causing the issue (especially since it doesn't happen in Safe Mode), however if they don't have exclusions then I'm not sure what can be done to prevent it. It might be necessary to manually terminate a2emergencykit.exe after closing it in this case.

Are you able to end the process with just the Task Manager?

I can end it in task manager. Emsisoft does run in the background in safe mode with networking but not in safe mode with no networking.

I have this setup for over a year now, and the issue begin to occur after I upgraded to the Fall Creator.

On 11/3/2017 at 8:53 PM, Jerky McDilerino said:

I have this setup for over a year now, and the issue begin to occur after I upgraded to the Fall Creator.

It's possible that BitDefender still has some issues to iron out for the new Windows 10 update.

On 11/3/2017 at 8:53 PM, Jerky McDilerino said:

I can end it in task manager. Emsisoft does run in the background in safe mode with networking but not in safe mode with no networking.

In that case a batch file could be made to terminate it by double-clicking on the batch file, just to make the process a bit quicker if you don't want to have to use the Task Manager every time.