hackerman1

Grey settings ?

I installed EAM 2017.9.0.8006

After reboot some settings are "grey": Surf Protection , File Guard, Behaviour Blocker, and EVERYTHING under "Settings".

And Protection status, Pause protection, Shutdown protection are also grey when i right-click on the EAM-icon in the taskbar.

When updating EAM installed a "newer version", now it says 2017.7.0.7838.

This is weird because the latest available versions on https://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/antimalware/ is:

"Version 2017.9.0.8006 — Released: 10/02/2017
For Windows 7/8.1/10, 32 & 64 bit"

So EAM downgraded to an older version, and greyed some settings !?

I´m using W7 64-bit, and Comodo Firewall 7 (7.0.317799.4142).

EAM detected and warned about Comodo Antivirus during installation, but since that AV is installed but disabled i ignored the warning.

By default only users with Admin authority get full access to facilities within the GUI.

This can be changed from a full-access id:

go to Settings - Permissions, then turn off the display option "Hide users with default permissions" so that the list there displays all users.

Then change non-Admin users' access level from Basic to Full.

I think I remember that if you use a password to protect settings that can have a similar consequence, but I've never tried that.

If you've seen that a newer version has downgraded itself, it might imply that Settings - Updates - Update Settings - Update feed has got itself set to "Delayed" which means that the program is deliberately taking old versions of the app to avoid getting newer, possibly buggy releases.  Once the settings are ungreyed you should be able to change that to "Stable" if indeed "Stable" is what you want.  Most people run with "Stable" set.   Avoid "Beta" unless you're willing to try very new versions.

Yes, i know all that.

It´s possible to restrict access to the settings so that only some user fx. admins can change them.

I did that on a friends computer (with mutiple user-accounts) that i administered.

I arranged it so the settings could only be changed from two accounts,

from my USER-account on that computer, and from the ADMIN-account.

But i have NOT restricted access, i have not changed anything so i should be able to change all settings.

And note what i said above: "After reboot some settings are "grey": Surf Protection , File Guard, Behaviour Blocker, and EVERYTHING under "Settings" ).

I can´t change anything under "Settings"....

1 hour ago, hackerman1 said:

But i have NOT restricted access, i have not changed anything so i should be able to change all settings.

By default the permissions are configured so that only Windows accounts with administrative rights can access certain features. I recommend logging in to the local administrator account and either giving your normal user account Full access in the Permissions settings, or setting a master password in the Permissions that you can use to unlock the restricted features whenever you need to.

I tried again to install the latest version, and the same thing happened as yesterday.

So i logged in to the admin-account to see if that would help to solve the problem.

Then i saw the restriction for other accounts.

And how the H-E-L-L should anyone know that Emsisoft has set the default permissions to restrict access to USER-accounts !?!?!?

Very clever....

Who is the braindead idiot that decided to do such a stupidity !?

If i want to restrict access to the settings for some accounts then i will do it myself.

It is NOT up to Emsisoft to decide, and certainly not do it without telling the customers about the restrictions when installing EAM  !!!

This stupidity cost me several hours of work, troubleshooting and reinstalling several EAM-versons, trying to fix the problem.

It ended with restoring the system from a backup, in order to get a working computer again.

The time i had to waste on this could have been used for other work instead.

Had Emsisoft informed me about it during (or after) the installation i could have fixed the problem in minutes, instead of hours....

Has Microsoft bought Emsisoft ???

Because this attitude of  "we know what is best for you" is something they are famous for...

22 hours ago, hackerman1 said:

And how the H-E-L-L should anyone know that Emsisoft has set the default permissions to restrict access to USER-accounts !?!?!?

That's the way non-administrator accounts are supposed to be. No permission to make important changes, therefore users who don't have administrator rights can't disable protection and infect the system (or worse).

This is also why we give the option to tweak those permissions on a per-account basis and set a password, so that you have quick access to all of those features if you need them. ;)

• Like 1

I would like to state that Emsisoft is correct.  Only admin accounts should be allowed to make important changes.  For example, on a user account opening the control panel restricts most of what I can do.

I would also like to state that the User is correct.  For example, on a user account I have the option to open the control panel or a command prompt with administrator privileges.

Could we please be told how to open Emsisoft Anti-Malware with Administrator privileges.  (Never mind... I just reread and saw we can grant a password so user accounts can perform updates... maybe that will fix the next issue.)

Is this the reason the app will not update but, instead, asks me to check for updates and then tells me the app needs to be updated and prompts me to check for updates.  Keep repeating until you get tired of reading!  :D

@Jimbo - you don't have to assign a password to allow an ordinary user to change settings; I'm the only person who uses my pc and I've done the process I described above to grant my ordinary day-to-day non-admin user full access to settings through the GUI.

I would expect EAM to update itself (ie get new signatures etc) regardless of the status of an ordinary user, and surely the product is shipped with auto update enabled?

Often-repeated advice here if updating is failing is to disable the 'use SSL for communication with servers' setting on Settings - Privacy.  Have you tried that?  

I was getting confused.  It is Malwarebytes that is not updating.  Sorry.

As a result I was trying to document all my anti-malware applications and had to figure out how to do that.  Confusion abounds; at the moment.

9 hours ago, Jimbo said:

I was getting confused.  It is Malwarebytes that is not updating.  Sorry.

That's OK. I'm glad to know that Emsisoft Anti-Malware is working. ;)