Windows 10 Foldr protection feature and emsisoft alongside?

Hi i read in this post https://blog.emsisoft.com/2017/11/08/windows-10-ransomware-protection-good-enough/ umbra said you can use this feature alongside emsisoft it means are compatible? how can we use togheter?. Does anybody use it? Any issues? Maybe dont take in count but dont you think emsi must try to create a easy way to install and use emsi alongside this feature?

[email protected] Mod  novos7  16 hours ago

You can enable it (and so Windows Defender) by unticking "Activate Windows Defender Security Center integration" checkbox in Emsisoft Anti-Malware's Settings tab.

•  
  •  

Hello @Kevinaktiff

6 hours ago, Kevinaktiff said:

Hi i read in this post https://blog.emsisoft.com/2017/11/08/windows-10-ransomware-protection-good-enough/ umbra said you can use this feature alongside emsisoft it means are compatible?

The Controlled Folder feature itself is compatible with Emsisoft Anti-Malware, after all it is just a Default-Deny mechanism.

how can we use togheter?. Does anybody use it?

Windows Defender must be enabled by unticking the option i mentioned earlier.  I personally don't use it since i use Emsisoft AM which possesses a Behavior Blocker doing a more smoothly job than it and is simpler to use. Note thet this feature of Microsoft was intended for people that don't use 3rd party solutions but just what Win10 offers, the reason why it isn't enabled by default.

Any issues? Maybe dont take in count but dont you think emsi must try to create a easy way to install and use emsi alongside this feature?

Not really an issue but during my short testing of Controlled Folders, i saw one negative point for the average users; you have to whitelist yourself which application is authorized to write on the protected folders, which can be quite inconvenient if you have dozen of not-so-well known apps.  For example i saw this feature blocking the creation of shortcuts on the desktop.

As i said earlier, untick the option, we are one of the few (maybe even the only one) vendor that allows you to unregister our antivirus from the security center so you can use this new Windows feature.

That's why it isn't recommended. Microsoft made changes to Windows Defender and Windows 10 (I would believe in the Anniversary Update last year) so that Windows Defender will automatically be turned off when a third-party anti-virus software is installed, that way there will not be any conflicts. Running bother Windows Defender and another anti-virus software at the same time could lead to problems (including performance issues, or even system freezing/hanging).

22 hours ago, Kevinaktiff said:

Hey  umbra but if you untick you have to enable defender realtime protection and the pc cames irresponsive

Exact, this feature is only available while Windows Defender is active, so Microsoft basically saying to you "You don't use our anti-virus, you won't have this new feature of ours". 

And personally, i rather use Emsisoft and its powerful Behavior Blocker than this feature which, in my opinion, isn't even convenient to use...not saying the potential issues mentioned by @GT500